The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs Simpson Desert

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
Kept at road pressure on a variable hard-packed surface.
Lower pressures tomorrow onwards, I’ll let you know.
Thanks, interesting country out that way, did a rally back in May out to Betoota, be getting warm. Travel safely (y)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
Thanks, interesting country out that way, did a rally back in May out to Betoota, be getting warm. Travel safely (y)
We’ll have an extra 80L onboard for a ~500km leg… wildly conservative, surely. I’m hoping we can provide a more reliable range estimate in sand for next season’s expeditions because at this stage I’m really not sure what to expect.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We’ll have an extra 80L onboard for a ~500km leg… wildly conservative, surely. I’m hoping we can provide a more reliable range estimate in sand for next season’s expeditions because at this stage I’m really not sure what to expect.
That's good, I'll be keen to see what consumption is like as I'll be doing the CSR next year.

Local time
Reaction score
Fuel usage on sand would be super useful to know as I plan to do the Simpson next May. Please update us. Thanks in advance.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tyre pressure?
OK, so provoked by this question I did some more testing today while touring out and around Sturt NP.

This involved a bit of retracing our progress from yesterday, which basically allowed A/B testing over the same roads, at about the same weight and ambient conditions, with tyres at road pressure yesterday and then today reduced to 28psi.

This short run was intended to check dynamics with 80L of diesel onboard along with the 40L of water loaded yesterday.
No issues with handling, stability or attitude etc. No fumes with jerries in the loadspace, I think this was an earlier question.

The reduced tyre pressure produced a much smoother drive and improved stability. It was most comfortable cruising at 80-90 kph versus 90-100 yesterday, this with CDL again locked. Might also be worth noting that the on-road ESC was intrusive on the gravel with CDL disengaged.

Fuel consumption under these conditions increased slightly to a reported 13.2L/100kms.
This over a shorter distance so I don’t expect much changed from yesterdays 12.8.

Is it down at the back a little? I should’ve taken a baseline. Regardless it’s proving ideal.

IMG_1076.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, so provoked by this question I did some more testing today while touring out and around Sturt NP.

This involved a bit of retracing our progress from yesterday, which basically allowed A/B testing over the same roads, at about the same weight and ambient conditions, with tyres at road pressure yesterday and then today reduced to 28psi.

This short run was intended to check dynamics with 80L of diesel onboard along with the 40L of water loaded yesterday.
No issues with handling, stability or attitude etc. No fumes with jerries in the loadspace, I think this was an earlier question.

The reduced tyre pressure produced a much smoother drive and improved stability. It was most comfortable cruising at 80-90 kph versus 90-100 yesterday, this with CDL again locked. Might also be worth noting that the on-road ESC was intrusive on the gravel with CDL disengaged.

Fuel consumption under these conditions increased slightly to a reported 13.2L/100kms.
This over a shorter distance so I don’t expect much changed from yesterdays 12.8.

Is it down at the back a little? I should’ve taken a baseline. Regardless it’s proving ideal.

View attachment 7831788
Thanks for the report 👍🏼

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Thanks @Steve.B

We’re headed to the French Line via QAA, East-West; after which we’ll carry on through to the west coast.

This is a pretty crucial commissioning trip in prep for the Americas next year.

We’ve been fortunate to have an early delivery. We’ll post photos (thanks StarLink) and look forward to seeing others out here, and on the other big tracks, next season.

If you’re on sat comms then make use of the low bandwidth option. (Click on the paintbrush icon at the bottom of the screen and select)

There’s a good 80% functionality of the site and you can flit back and forth if something you need is missing.

Good luck on the trip.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you’re on sat comms then make use of the low bandwidth option. (Click on the paintbrush icon at the bottom of the screen and select)

There’s a good 80% functionality of the site and you can flit back and forth if something you need is missing.

Good luck on the trip.
Thanks Stu!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You heading to Birdville via Cordillo Downs Rd or the Strez mate?
Must be getting warm out there now.
Did you get a chance to explore Sturt? Lots to see there. I still remember the jump ups, and the little lake near Fort Grey at sunset.
Did the Strzelecki a few years back so this time took the Omicron Road from Cameron Corner to Innamincka, then we’ll be on the Cordillo Downs Road tomorrow. Lots of shale gas activity out this way, there’s a bunch of new roads.

Hopefully arriving Birdsville in time to catch the Cup festivities, or whatever remains thereof by mid afternoon.

Mid 30s… hottest we’ve seen is 38, on a salt pan out by Epsilon Station. No complaints with that!

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did the Strzelecki a few years back so this time took the Omicron Road from Cameron Corner to Innamincka, then we’ll be on the Cordillo Downs Road tomorrow. Lots of shale gas activity out this way, there’s a bunch of new roads.

Hopefully arriving Birdsville in time to catch the Cup festivities, or whatever remains thereof by mid afternoon.

Mid 30s… hottest we’ve seen is 38, on a salt pan out by Epsilon Station. No complaints with that!
Yeah last time we went through Innaminka we couldn’t believe how much better the roads were - all newly graded and widened by the gas miners.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has the one in the middle been on a diet? :)
at the risk of going off topic and incurring the wrath of the masses...

Apart from the different angles, the one in the centre has no bullbar

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What a great trip/post.

And - shock - wonderful to see a *normally loaded car* doing overland touring!

Reminds me of simpler times when travel didn't involve kids, and a car groaning with stuff....

Back
Top Bottom