The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
The true throwback of a boy’s dreams:
The irony is Australia with a population of 27M people has a cornucopia of Toyotas to choose from. Yet Toyota says the US with 330M doesn’t have the demand to justify bringing this vehicle to market. Apparently in Canada, if you have a Mining business, they’ll allow you to order one through their Toyota Commercial Division 🤔

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
" I loathe the Toyota marketing nonsense to try and pull the wool over the U.S. consumers eyes trying to sell us on that new Prado as a true LC replacement. C'mon Toyota. Any real enthusiast knows better. "
Land Rover missed the mark with the Defender name game too IMO. The ND is an amazing Disco 5 (or would it be 6?).

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Whats that? The 10yo yesterdays technology class? The LC is 15% lighter, and gets 60% better fuel efficiency. So much for blaming the crappy mpg on the grens weight.
The Toyota 2.8 diesel I'm referring to is over 10 years old. Good engine but not without its problems. What I'm saying is I'll not be cross shopping an IFS, 4cylinder, light duty prado (that has no front locker) against my heavy duty straight 6 diesel Grenadier, especially when it's the same money.

Like @DaveB says, its the little brother of the propper Land cruisers, the 300 and the 70

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I am no expert on LC’s but many many years ago I asked a Toyota dealer in South Africa, why they still sold the old style (76 and 79) LC’s, their answer was simple…The people in the city buy the Prado and the farmers and those in the bush buy the old style ones because they would just break the Prado or it would just fall apart with the terrain they put them over.

A simple answer that put things into perspective for me.

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the UK we have 180 official Toyota dealers apparently - there are 3000 of the launch edition globally - not sure we will get more than 10% of the global volume of that edition (its a big world and the 250/Prado is a global model) so I am not confident I will get one - feels like no more than 1 vehicle per dealer except for maybe a small number of the biggest that could get 2 and in the UK it seems to be operated at the dealer level with no central Toyota registration system - I registered with one dealer - some folk may have registered with several to play the system

That said save for the front round or rectangular lights the alternative UK spec “invinsible” seems to be near as dam it the same - 20 inch not 18 inch wheels and some interior trim differences and no contrast colour roof but all the main elements are identical (mechanicals , diff locks and off road options, head up display, side steps, roof bars, size of screen, camera system), unlike the US with its 3 models which offer a pretty big difference in spec and hence price

Uk is £74995 Invinsible and £79995 First Edition

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
lf you drive the Discovery and then the new Defender you'll find they are completely different.
I don’t doubt that. The point I was trying to raise is that LR should have called the ND the D5 and replace the D4 with it.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t doubt that. The point I was trying to raise is that LR should have called the ND the D5 and replace the D4 with it.
That would be the Disco 6, the Disco V is the New Discovery, which followed the LR4 in NAS parliance.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And the B57 Grenadier engine is in a different class to the Toyota 2.8.
That's the biggest thing stopping me. i love my BMW diesel i n the Fieldmaster.........but i still have my expression of interest logged with Toyota UK.
Only live once , and they would both fit in my driveway once wife's car is shifted

Local time
Reaction score

But why would Land Rover do that when they can use the iconic "Defender" name on their new 4x4.

The people who complained about it probably wouldn't buy the new model whatever it was called.

lt's certainly been a success for Land Rover. The posh areas round here are heaving with new Defenders.

But there's something missing from the new Defender. The legacy.
Driving an old Defender feels like you are part of something, and in some small way following in the footsteps of those who took them to the ends of the earth years ago.
You don't get that feeling with the new one, there's no connection. lt doesn't make it a bad vehicle, it's an awesome vehicle. But it's lost the connection with the old one.

Last edited:

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier is a fabulous vehicle, l had a good look round a black one that was parked up. lt looks better in real life than in the photos.
l challenge anyone to look at it in real life and not want one.
Agree. Absolutely stunning in style and design. I love seeing people break their necks to snag a look at it.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Toyota has already been having documented failures with their turbocharged 4 cylinder engines. To save build costs they modified the engine’s main crank bearings into a single one piece “ladder frame” design that is not holding up well in some engines. They “retired” Mr Toyoda, who had continued their tried and true “Kaizen” (continuous improvement) design approach and are now entering an “Americanized” profits-at-all-cost environment. The way this plays out will be interesting and imo disappointing for those us who have always held Toyota in high regard. Maybe they’ll be able to thread the needle. Hopefully so.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Toyota has already been having documented failures with their turbocharged 4 cylinder engines. To save build costs they modified the engine’s main crank bearings into a single one piece “ladder frame” design that is not holding up well in some engines. They “retired” Mr Toyoda, who had continued their tried and true “Kaizen” (continuous improvement) design approach and are now entering an “Americanized” profits-at-all-cost environment. The way this plays out will be interesting and imo disappointing for those us who have always held Toyota in high regard. Maybe they’ll be able to thread the needle. Hopefully so.
They have to keep up with Honda cranking out cheaply-built, crap-designed, profit generators.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They have to keep up with Honda cranking out cheaply-built, crap-designed, profit generators.
The Caveat to that being the Trailsport models... The amount of R&D they put into those is astonishing (they also have quite the fleet of competitors vehicles)

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Caveat to that being the Trailsport models... The amount of R&D they put into those is astonishing (they also have quite the fleet of competitors vehicles)
Yes R&D, but it's still the same vehicle build and marginal in all areas. Probably a fun commuter while under warranty, then ditch it like a jeep...

Push on a Honda's sheet metal, just not too hard. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom