The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
Don’t you guys have the option of real land cruisers over there, not the pseudo-land cruisers that we get here now?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Don’t you guys have the option of real land cruisers over there, not the pseudo-land cruisers that we get here now?

Depends where “over there” is, this new LC is the only one to be sold in the UK, we don’t get the 300 (?) series here. I think the Aussies have access to the whole range of LC’s though.

I do stand to be corrected on the Aussie situation.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The cheapest Landcruiser I see in Tucson is advertised at 77k. Most expensive is 86k. I am sure they will sell like hotcakes but that is a lot of money for a 4Runner.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score
Interesting pricing for the Landcruiser in the UK. In North America the Landcruiser and the new Lexus GX have starting prices below the Grenadier. The GX 550 Overtrail starts at US$69,250 and the Grenadier US$71,500. In Alaska these are selling for a US$5500 Dealer premium over MSRP, and will probably stay that way for awhile throughout the USA.
Toyota will sell TONS of these…
In Cali there is a 10k dealer market adjustment which puts it at 79k before and additional add on.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Hello buddy, not seen you about on here for a while. Good to see you commenting again. 👍

(Or have I just not seen any of your comments 😀)
No your right mate, ive not been too active, had a lot going on this year (good and bad), but returning to some normality now!

Done a few bits with the Grenadier, Eibach lift etc, and a few little trips 😀

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You can get a proper 70 series un the UK, but its a a lot if you want a RHD..https://rowlandsandhordonautomotivesolutions.co.uk
£65k +vat for a V879...

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You can get a proper 70 series un the UK, but its a a lot if you want a RHD..https://rowlandsandhordonautomotivesolutions.co.uk
£65k +vat for a V879...

You can get what you want if you are prepared to buy a grey import.

What I meant was they are not officially imported and sold by Toyota 👍

Local time
Reaction score
And the Lexus is not a 4-cylinder hybrid like the new 4 Runner and Landcruiser. The GX Lexus engine:
“twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port and direct fuel injection
Displacement: 210 in3, 3445 cm3
Power: 349 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 479 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm”

I’d prefer a compacted graphite iron block like BMW uses, but I wouldn’t doubt the durability of a Toyota powerplant.
BMW B57 and B58 are a full aluminium alloy modular engines.

Local time
Reaction score
Similar payload, towing, power, better fit and finish, an actual repair network, 10 more mpg (I'll put myself out on a limb and toss in less buggy).... We can talk amongst ourselves, but, to the emotionally detached that judges on how well something works, big "T" just laid down the law. The only reason the LC specs aren't even better, is they are having issues creating identities for an overfilled product line. The only company Toyota is competing against is itself, and oddly, it's winning.

Local time
Reaction score
And the B57 Grenadier engine is in a different class to the Toyota 2.8.
Whats that? The 10yo yesterdays technology class? The LC is 15% lighter, and gets 60% better fuel efficiency. So much for blaming the crappy mpg on the grens weight.

Local time
Reaction score
I’d prefer a compacted graphite iron block like BMW uses, but I wouldn’t doubt the durability of a Toyota powerplant.
Whats the iron block advantage? I thought the Gren block was aluminum anyway.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
Ok jumping in on this one having owned over 10+ LC’s over years from a ‘91 triple locked 80 Series to an ‘00 Heritage Edition, with 3 still in the garage (‘01 was sold to a friend last week with 225k on the clock and shipped to Montana). I will also preface this with I do all of my own maintenance, lift installs and basically all repair work short of dropping the transmission or pulling the engine, at least today.

The new Land Cruiser or GX in the states is NOT a 300 Series. It is what is known everywhere else in the world as a Prado. The Prado has and is a “light duty” vehicle were the LC 300, 200, 100, 80, 60, 55 and 40 Series were all Heavy Duty and built to a VERY different design standard as well as a different life expectancy. That is not to say the Prado, GX, etc is not a great vehicle and will last most people a very long time, but they are NOT the same vehicle and the new GX is NOT a 300 series LC - the LX600 however is.

The Grenadier is NOT a GX and was not designed to be, but the GX is also not a Grenadier and wasn’t designed to be either. They are VERY different vehicles. The closet thing you will find to a Grenadier is a 70 series LC and again, we don’t get those in the states. Many countries have the based model 4wd designs from Toyota that we simply don’t get in the US and we also don’t get the diesel engines.

All of that said - the Grenadier is far superior in terms of “out of the box” utility, thoughtfulness for true 4wd adventures and longevity in terms of planning and design. Toyota has decades of proving that, INOES does not, but they did hire the 2nd best in the business, MAGNA Steyr, to build a vehicle that would compete in the longevity and deliver what others were not, even Toyota. I think they did that VERY well.

Take the new LC or GX and you will spend $10k getting the vehicle to the same place as a Trialmaster and you will have wires all over the place, holes everywhere, nothing under warranty, etc.

I love my LC’s and I love Toyota, so much so I am picking up my sons ‘24 TRD Off-road Tacoma next week, but none of them are Grenadiers and vice versa.

We can’t get the 300 or 70 Series in the states today so when you look at the options for a true 4wd utility vehicles, NOT A JEEP, then you have very few options and I think the Grenadier sits at the top of the list for the people that actually understand and appreciate the design, engineering and effort that has gone into a vehicle that is designed for the people that have not had a vehicle designed for them in decades - and it has CarPlay.

All of that said, I am likely going to get a new GX and I think they will be an amazing success, but they are NOT a 300 or 70 series. The new LC will also likely be a great vehicle, but I am not sold on the hybrid as the only option.

PS - I don’t really think the new Defender, Bronco or Jeep should even be in the same discussion, but I know that comment will garner a couple responses.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Similar payload, towing, power, better fit and finish, an actual repair network, 10 more mpg (I'll put myself out on a limb and toss in less buggy).... We can talk amongst ourselves, but, to the emotionally detached that judges on how well something works, big "T" just laid down the law. The only reason the LC specs aren't even better, is they are having issues creating identities for an overfilled product line. The only company Toyota is competing against is itself, and oddly, it's winning.
The Landcruiser 300 doesn't have anywhere near similar payload or towing.
You must get a different model in US to us.
The closest model to the Grenadier is the GR sport with diff locks front and rear.
That has a GVM of 3280 KG compared to Grenadier 3550 kg
Toyota don't state it but usually post vehicle weight with no fuel.
Assuming this the vehicle weighs 2630 kgs compared to Grenadier 2718 kgs (with 90% fuel) Trialmaster version.
That leaves 650 kgs load capacity compared to Grenadier 832 kgs
Add 81 Litres of fuel to match the Grenadier and that leaves 569 kgs
They can both tow 3500 kgs so subtract 350 KG tow ball weight.
That leaves Toyota with 219 kgs load capacity and Grenadier with 483 kgs.
Two adults with overnight bags would take up the 219 kgs in the Toyota but the Grenadier would still have room for 264 kgs extra.
Assuming you are not towing the Toyota would be 350 kgs of additional load and Grenadier 614 kgs.
There has been a lot of issues with the fact that Toyota do not list a roof load rating anywhere.

1715057273023.jpg

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
BMW B57 and B58 are a full aluminium alloy modular engines.
You’re right, I stand corrected. I had read years ago that BMW was considering using CGI for the block so they could increase durability and longevity and use the same block for both the diesel and gas engines for economy of scale. Well apparently they are using the same blocks but determined closed-cell aluminum meets the demands instead.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
Whats the iron block advantage? I thought the Gren block was aluminum anyway.
Yes, you’re correct, the BB57 and 58 are using aluminum after all. Engine manufacturers are finally using compacted graphite iron due it’s increased strength compared to regular cast iron, so they can make a block with less material and increased durability, saving weight and cost. The disadvantage for them is the increased tooling cost since CGI is much harder to machine than cast iron. IMG_1174.jpeg

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In Oz a few friends of mine have sat back and waited for Toyota releases. One is going for the new 76 series with the 2.8L (Hilux) engine. The other is upgrading to the new Prado but they have to wait!

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
I also disagree on spending 10K to get a Land Cruiser, let along the GX plastic king up to Ineos level. What would it cost for solid axle swaps to all one ton running gear? Suspension, steering and so on? Transfer case to be gear driven and cooled? Heavy duty transmission with heavy duty torque convertor up grade? This is what everyone misses. That would be 50-60K in mods.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score
I personally was really disappointed we in the U.S. didn't get the 300. The 200 is great but really long in the tooth. I personally looked to the Gren to fill a unique spot between the non-existent 70 series in the U.S. and the missing 300 Series. I loathe the Toyota marketing nonsense to try and pull the wool over the U.S. consumers eyes trying to sell us on that new Prado as a true LC replacement. C'mon Toyota. Any real enthusiast knows better.

I personally think where Ineos dropped the ball is the stability of the software and the ADAS nanny features. If they were to get rid of the Speed Warning, and tighten up some S/W bugs. I think it would be a near perfect SUV. Unfortunately, those small design flaws will dissuade some buyers.

Back
Top Bottom