The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
NAS new Land Cruiser

I'll add that if the IG did not exist, this would be on my radar but I really think the updated 4Runner (based on the new Taco) might be a solid offering as well.

That said, I can't wait for my Grenadier - with each passing day the wait gets more and more challenging!
I’m interested in the next 4Runner too. Just bought a 23 4RUnner for my son. When you look at it and the new 24LC specs, I’m worried that they 4Runner is going down market- and down capability.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
I am unable to get excited about a 4 cylinder engine and would have preferred 6 cylinder at a minimum. Talking gas engines here and not diesel.
I might have purchased a 2024 Land Cruiser 250 series if it had the 6 cylinder engine the Lexus model is getting.
Those 4 cylinder engines belong in Chinese passenger cars.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
I am unable to get excited about a 4 cylinder engine and would have preferred 6 cylinder at a minimum. Talking gas engines here and not diesel.
I might have purchased a 2024 Land Cruiser 250 series if it had the 6 cylinder engine the Lexus model is getting.
Those 4 cylinder engines belong in Chinese passenger cars.
Yet the performance specifications for the 4cyl are above the 4.5lt V8 in the 70 series. Talking diesel engines here. 🤷

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
NAS new Land Cruiser

I'll add that if the IG did not exist, this would be on my radar but I really think the updated 4Runner (based on the new Taco) might be a solid offering as well.

That said, I can't wait for my Grenadier - with each passing day the wait gets more and more challenging!
If the IG didn't exist I'd be driving a 300 series GX (base model in AU)

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
Yet the performance specifications for the 4cyl are above the 4.5lt V8 in the 70 series. Talking diesel engines here. 🤷
Wonder how the life expectancy of the the big 4 cyl is compared to the V8. Perhaps those 8 speed transmissions help them pull better than the V8s. Heck if I know but, my V8 4Runner was a better hauler than the V6 4Runner.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wonder how the life expectancy of the the big 4 cyl is compared to the V8. Perhaps those 8 speed transmissions help them pull better than the V8s. Heck if I know but, my V8 4Runner was a better hauler than the V6 4Runner.
Life span should be the same, many 4cyl 2.8s in AU have in excess of 400k klms and still going strong. There is no replacement for displacement so if pulling power is needed, V8 is the go.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not to knock Toyota, but nothing they offer checks my boxes. This, however, could be my perfect 3rd (4th?) vehicle. EV Hilux prototype.

Toyota-Pressroom-Toyota-HiLux-Revo-BEV-Concept-vehicle-2-scaled.jpeg

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not to knock Toyota, but nothing they offer check my boxes. This, however, could be my perfect 3rd (4th?) vehicle. EV Hilux prototype.

Toyota-Pressroom-Toyota-HiLux-Revo-BEV-Concept-vehicle-2-scaled.jpeg
I believe in function over form, and I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but man that’s fugly.

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
For the US market at least, this sounds like bad news/timing for Ineos. 01Aug2023 is the announcement date for the newly redesigned/reintroduced Land Cruiser.

Im assuming it’ll be hard to get one in the beginning but it should be exciting.

Will this affect your Grenadier decision? I guess we’ll know more after the 1st.
Won’t effect me I have 2 real land cruisers not this turbo 4 cyl hybrid with no tail gate

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Looks like the '24 Land Cruiser will be available in Canada after over 30 years of us not getting them at all.

Looks like a really compelling option, and if the pricing translates from the US announced MSRP, then in Canada it will be in the low $60k range. The Electric Rubicon Wrangler, being a potentially more appropriate (more on that in a moment) comparator, would mean it is in the high $60s in Canada. That's $20k to $30k cheaper than the Gren, which is a lot.

If the Land Cruiser comes out with specs that even nip at the heels of the Gren in terms of payload, roof and wading, (let's say they allow for 1600+ lbs payload, and 200 lbs roof load, and let's say 26 inches wading) it would be a very tough choice as to which was the better Off Road Tourer in Canada. But if they "Tacoma-ize" the specs - where you only get a 1400 lbs payload, a 100 lbs roof load, and a wading depth of say 12 inches (height of the wheel hubs) then it won't be a contest.

The reason I say the 4Xe Electric Rubicon might be more appropriate is that one of the compelling things on the new Cruiser is this 1.8 kilowatt battery system. The con is obviously it makes the drive train more complex, but the pro might be how they make that energy accessible - that's equivalent to a pretty generous number of amp hours for things like a fridge, an induction camp stove, an electric hot water heater - and the payload and other off-road specs allow you to load up the LC, then it would actually be a really tidy little touring wagon. On the Gren, you have to add your own secondary electrical system, and that takes time and money and weight, so if the LC is nipping at it's heels WITH the functional addition of a "Dual battery system" via given the user access to that power reserve when in camp...colour me interested. Especially at $60k.

Edit: My Sunday coffee hadn't kicked in yet and my first blush at the math was wrong. Here's apples to apples comparison:

Formula: Amp Hours = (KWh x 1000) / Volts

Typically Setup - Deep Cycle

110 Amp Hours (55 Useable) = (KWh x 1000) / 12
55 x 12 = KWh x 1000
660 / 1000 = KWh
0.66Kwh

Typical Setup Lithium

110 Amp Hours (110 Useable) = (KWh x 1000) / 12
110 x 12 = KWh x 1000
1.32 KWh

Toyota's Built-In Battery

?? Amp Hours = (1.87 KWh x 1000) / 12
155.83 Amp Hours

So - even if Toyota's battery is more akin to a deep cycle (only 50% usable power), that would still give a person 75 Amp Hours. That's more than a typical deep cycle setup, and is plenty for a fridge for a few days. If it was supplemented by a solar cell, it could be enough to add a few other electric-powered accessories like an induction cooker. If - and that's a big IF - they make it accessible to the end user.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like the '24 Land Cruiser will be available in Canada after over 30 years of us not getting them at all.

Looks like a really compelling option, and if the pricing translates from the US announced MSRP, then in Canada it will be in the low $60k range. The Electric Rubicon Wrangler, being a potentially more appropriate (more on that in a moment) comparator, would mean it is in the high $60s in Canada. That's $20k to $30k cheaper than the Gren, which is a lot.

If the Land Cruiser comes out with specs that even nip at the heels of the Gren in terms of payload, roof and wading, (let's say they allow for 1600+ lbs payload, and 200 lbs roof load, and let's say 26 inches wading) it would be a very tough choice as to which was the better Off Road Tourer in Canada. But if they "Tacoma-ize" the specs - where you only get a 1400 lbs payload, a 100 lbs roof load, and a wading depth of say 12 inches (height of the wheel hubs) then it won't be a contest.

The reason I say the 4Xe Electric Rubicon might be more appropriate is that one of the compelling things on the new Cruiser is this 1.8 kilowatt battery system. The con is obviously it makes the drive train more complex, but the pro might be how they make that energy accessible - that's equivalent to a pretty generous number of amp hours for things like a fridge, an induction camp stove, an electric hot water heater - and the payload and other off-road specs allow you to load up the LC, then it would actually be a really tidy little touring wagon. On the Gren, you have to add your own secondary electrical system, and that takes time and money and weight, so if the LC is nipping at it's heels WITH the functional addition of a "Dual battery system" via given the user access to that power reserve when in camp...colour me interested. Especially at $60k.

Edit: My Sunday coffee hadn't kicked in yet and my first blush at the math was wrong. Here's apples to apples comparison:

55 x 12 = KWh x 1000
660 / 1000 = KWh
0.66Kwh

Typical Setup Lithium

110 x 12 = KWh x 1000
1.32 KWh

155.83 Amp Hours

So - even if Toyota's battery is more akin to a deep cycle (only 50% usable power), that would still give a person 75 Amp Hours. That's more than a typical deep cycle setup, and is plenty for a fridge for a few days. If it was supplemented by a solar cell, it could be enough to add a few other electric-powered accessories like an induction cooker. If - and that's a big IF - they make it accessible to the end user.
I am not aware of a hybrid assist vehicle that offers up full use of the batteries as you propose. Nor do I know how the new LC charges these batteries if you present these addition loads.

I certainly would not expect this freedom from Toyota, who likes to control your driving experience with features like locking out low range when the TPMS kicks off after airing down.

For all the bashing it gets, I really look forward to the simplicity of the IG’s off-road mode and axle diff locks.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
I am not aware of a hybrid assist vehicle that offers up full use of the batteries as you propose. Nor do I know how the new LC charges these batteries if you present these addition loads.

I certainly would not expect this freedom from Toyota, who likes to control your driving experience with features like locking out low range when the TPMS kicks off after airing down.

For all the bashing it gets, I really look forward to the simplicity of the IG’s off-road mode and axle diff locks.
I agree with you Tom - it's unlikely for sure. And I rented a Wrangler on Friday for a trip I was on...I do miss my solid axles!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

55 x 12 = KWh x 1000
660 / 1000 = KWh
0.66Kwh

Typical Setup Lithium

110 x 12 = KWh x 1000
1.32 KWh

155.83 Amp Hours

Typically Toyota's hybrid systems run on a ~276v system and not useable for powering equipment.
What you are suggesting would be great but it's not on Toyota's radar.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
People might want a Grenadier , but their work/spouse etc won't allow them. So they'll buy something else , not necessarily a direct competitor.
They're totally different , vehicles for a start.
And good luck dealing with Toyota warranty claims!!!

Back
Top Bottom