The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Test drive North America

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
@Krabby did the TM you drove have the tailgate table? I haven't seen one of those in person yet.
The prototypes at the off-roading demos had the tailgate table. I liked it enough to order it on our model. Seemed well built and substantial (no flimsy).

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yup. I included the inverter in my original build but dropped it from my pre-order when I realized how useless a 400W inverter would be (for me).

I just checked--the NA configurator still shows 400W (not 2400W). I personally wouldn't roll the dice on selecting the 400W inverter on the off chance IA calls a factory audible and installs a 2400W inverter.
I ordered it since it's a simple swap if they supplied 400W.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The prototypes at the off-roading demos had the tailgate table. I liked it enough to order it on our model. Seemed well built and substantial (no flimsy).
I'll get one eventually - probably wait for an aftermarket one though.

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I drove the same TM (as Krabby) at RDS last week (Nov 10) and thought sharing my impressions might add to the list of experiences for anyone at Ineos who might be monitoring the Forum

Apart from the 2.5 hour (95mi) heavy traffic drive to the dealership I had an enjoyable test drive experience - confirming the Grenadier is worth the wait. Frank and Jason at RDS were very helpful and had answers to most of my questions. My sense is they will provide a high end dealer experience.

My impressions of the on-the-road test drive:
  • Solid construction - no rattles or squeaks, great door thud - the size and stance of the Grenadier gives it a certain gravitas
  • Ride feels as secure on road as it did off road (for those that took the off road tour)
  • Smooth shifting transmission
  • Excellent engine response - reminded me of the X5’s (the engine is bullet proof and there are after market improvements available through Dinan and others)
  • Steering is just different and the adjustment (to lack of self centering) doesn’t take long - reminded me of the D90
  • Steering radius - I intend to haul an Airstream and did not perceive potential hauling - turning difficulties - in fact made an easy u-turn across 2.5 lanes
  • Plastics - a bit wonky as others have noted
  • Radio - inaudible above the road (tire) noise - so I could not discern the quality
  • Road noise - quite a bit from the rear - not sure if wheel wells (between metal and interior plastic) had any sound deadening - odd since the off road experience was the opposite (easily had a running conversation with my co-pilot) - I’ll some anyway
  • Rear view mirror visibility is very poor - I intend to add an aftermarket rear view video fed mirror (once I figure out how to install it).
  • Screen image when in reverse is a programming issue that Ineos should be able to improve upon
  • Door window arm rest is very comfortable but the lack of a mid door arm rest at the height of the center storage box is a miss IMO
  • Controls logistics will work for me after the learning curve
  • Seats are comfortable and supportive but will need to be covered as I foresee considerable wear from “sliding” over the side of the seat when getting out of the vehicle
Overall, the Grenadier “as-is” looks (for me) to be a no regrets decision for a vehicle that will only improve with time.

Finally, I think there is an opportunity for IG to view the Grenadier as an upgradable platform - the timelessness of the Defender had that type of quality. While Defenders were “upgraded” by the owners, IG could devote some engineering talent to offer upgrades to existing owners. I know this runs counter to the planned obsolescence model of most manufacturers. IG could reframe upgrades as a sustainability attribute - e.g., using less energy and raw materials for incremental upgrade than for an entire replacement vehicle. I suspect most of us intend to keep the Grenadiers for quite a long time so manufacturer supported upgrading might be discriminating feature of IG.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I drove the same TM (as Krabby) at RDS last week (Nov 10) and thought sharing my impressions might add to the list of experiences for anyone at Ineos who might be monitoring the Forum

Apart from the 2.5 hour (95mi) heavy traffic drive to the dealership I had an enjoyable test drive experience - confirming the Grenadier is worth the wait. Frank and Jason at RDS were very helpful and had answers to most of my questions. My sense is they will provide a high end dealer experience.

My impressions of the on-the-road test drive:
  • Solid construction - no rattles or squeaks, great door thud - the size and stance of the Grenadier gives it a certain gravitas
  • Ride feels as secure on road as it did off road (for those that took the off road tour)
  • Smooth shifting transmission
  • Excellent engine response - reminded me of the X5’s (the engine is bullet proof and there are after market improvements available through Dinan and others)
  • Steering is just different and the adjustment (to lack of self centering) doesn’t take long - reminded me of the D90
  • Steering radius - I intend to haul an Airstream and did not perceive potential hauling - turning difficulties - in fact made an easy u-turn across 2.5 lanes
  • Plastics - a bit wonky as others have noted
  • Radio - inaudible above the road (tire) noise - so I could not discern the quality
  • Road noise - quite a bit from the rear - not sure if wheel wells (between metal and interior plastic) had any sound deadening - odd since the off road experience was the opposite (easily had a running conversation with my co-pilot) - I’ll some anyway
  • Rear view mirror visibility is very poor - I intend to add an aftermarket rear view video fed mirror (once I figure out how to install it).
  • Screen image when in reverse is a programming issue that Ineos should be able to improve upon
  • Door window arm rest is very comfortable but the lack of a mid door arm rest at the height of the center storage box is a miss IMO
  • Controls logistics will work for me after the learning curve
  • Seats are comfortable and supportive but will need to be covered as I foresee considerable wear from “sliding” over the side of the seat when getting out of the vehicle
Overall, the Grenadier “as-is” looks (for me) to be a no regrets decision for a vehicle that will only improve with time.

Finally, I think there is an opportunity for IG to view the Grenadier as an upgradable platform - the timelessness of the Defender had that type of quality. While Defenders were “upgraded” by the owners, IG could devote some engineering talent to offer upgrades to existing owners. I know this runs counter to the planned obsolescence model of most manufacturers. IG could reframe upgrades as a sustainability attribute - e.g., using less energy and raw materials for incremental upgrade than for an entire replacement vehicle. I suspect most of us intend to keep the Grenadiers for quite a long time so manufacturer supported upgrading might be discriminating feature of IG.
It’s an automobile manufacturer not a job shop.
Best you can hope for is shops well distributed across the country that will do upgrades for owners.

Just like the current model for off-road vehicles.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Test drove one yesterday. In retrospect, I wish I had spent more time on the highway, and less time on the off-road portion, as the off-road portion was just a smooth dirt road. In contrast, the off-road test drive I did in April 2023 was on a much more challenging course (an off-road park in Colorado Springs).

Steering: it took about 20 minutes to get used to the steering, as I have not been driving a solid front axle vehicle with recirculating ball steering for the last five years. The steering is fine; actually, its really good for a vehicle of this design. No single vehicle can do everything well, so choose your priority. If you want a vehicle that can carve up the corners, and that handles like a sporty SUV, then no vehicle with a solid front axle and recirculating ball steering is going to be a match for you. But that sporty SUV will give you fits off road - with lots of kick back to the steering wheel. I am 100% satisfied with the front-end design of the Grenadier, and with how it steers.

Forward visibility: Awesome! Only the Jeep Wrangler gives you similar visibility looking over the hood (at least in the American market). This is the way an off-roader should be designed. You will be able to place your tires exactly where you want them. This bucks the tall-hood trend here in the American market. Great job Ineos!

Engine (B58 - petrol): the torque comes in at low rpms, which is exactly what you want. The Gren is not a rocket ship, but it can get up and go, and the transmission downshifts quickly to respond to your gas-pedal inputs. I was happy with the acceleration for a vehicle of this weight and purpose. But you do notice that you are driving a small forced induction engine (I say the engine is "small" in relation to the vehicle weight). You will not mistake the experience for driving a large naturally aspirated V8. I have no idea how to predict long-term reliability of the BMW engine in this application, but I would be happy to daily drive this vehicle in the Rocky Mountains.

Transmission shifter: Subjectively, its not right for me. Objectively, I would argue that a true off-roader should have a transmission lever that (a) moves, and (b) provides more tactile feedback to the driver. The button you press for "Park" is - to me - the opposite of analogue and the Grenadier mission. But this has been debated elsewhere, so I don't want to beat a dead horse. In the end: some folks will like the transmission shifter, some will tolerate it, and some won't buy it.

Transfer case shifter: solid and easy to use. In a perfect world, it would be an inch taller, but that is really nitpicking. I like the transfer case shifter a lot. All the shifts were simple, and tactile, and its mechanical. Now if only the transmission... oops - dead horse.

Axle lockers: The rear locker would not engage. It would blink, and then just stop blinking and both the light on the dash and the light on the overhead console would go out. This was on level terrain. After multiple attempts - both by me and by the salesman - and a fair bit of driving - we finally got it to lock-up. Don't know what else to say. I don't own a Gren, so I can't try 100 different times to see if this was a fluke. This is another example of a mechanical or analogue option being overlooked by the team at Ineos. Maybe there are no mechanical, cable actuated lockers made in Europe; in which case, the decision to go with an Italian axle forced the e-locker choice. I wonder if they even considered reaching out to Ox Lockers - for example - who make a mechanical, cable-actuated locker. I had one in the front axle of my Jeep, and it was bomb proof. Its like the difference between the transfer case lever and the transmission shifter.

Underbody Protection: I've written about this elsewhere, and won't re-hash that stuff here. In summary, if you mostly drive in the rocks, you will find some things are a bit too low, and some things need more skid-plate protection.

Seats and position: Comfort is subjective, but for me, these are the best seats available in an off-road vehicle. It was also easy for me to get into a good driving position. I love the manual adjustments, and the seat-lift lever works great. Jeep allows you to lift your butt up in the same way, but the Grenadier seats are much, much more comfortable (for me).

Side mirrors: a little too small for my liking, given the poor visibility out the rear window, but something you probably get used to fairly quickly.

Backup camera: An unnecessary self-inflicted error. Poor visibility out the back, and then a really small screen for the backup camera. The car needs a software update that gives the camera more of the screen. Also, the backup camera should not be disabled in off-road mode. Visibility out the back window is just as bad when you are off-road as it is when you are on-road, and the likelihood of backing up over or into something is probably much higher. This may sound inconsistent with my approach to other things in the vehicle, where I prefer analogue over electronic, but having a camera in the vehicle, and then not being able to use it in off-road mode is just dumb.

Dashboard controls: the buttons on the ceiling feel good, but switches on the ceiling feel less solid. I love the fact that the climate control knobs are simple, and make sense. The fan dial goes from: off, to low, to medium, to full - the way any sensible person would design it. To shut off the fan, you just turn all the way to the left. This is the way controls worked for decades. So many vehicles today require multiple touches for something that should only be one touch. Well done Ineos! On the other hand, I want the switch-gear on the main dash to feel solid - the way the doors feel when you close them. They do not. This is the same mismatch of principle that bugs me with the transmission lever vs the transfer case lever. I get that this is very subjective and personal - but to me - parts of the Grenadier are built like a tank, and other parts feel almost fragile, and like they belong in some other vehicle.

Foot Well Intrusion: first, we obviously have LHD in North America, so the intrusion is in the passenger foot well. The prototype I drove in April had a big hump in the passenger footwell. That has changed. The production vehicle I drove yesterday had a very small intrusion. This is now a non-issue for me.

In the end, I think its a great vehicle, and I think a lot of people will be really happy with it. But it is certainly not the right vehicle for everyone - and it was never supposed to be. Unless you are 100% committed to the concept, and you don't care about anything other than the concept, I strongly encourage a test drive.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
...Dashboard controls: the buttons on the ceiling feel good, but switches on the ceiling feel less solid. I love the fact that the climate control knobs are simple, and make sense. The fan dial goes from: off, to low, to medium, to full - the way any sensible person would design it. To shut off the fan, you just turn all the way to the left. This is the way controls worked for decades. So many vehicles today require multiple touches for something that should only be one touch.
Very fair, no-holds-barred analysis; it supports your post elsewhere where you discussed the underbody (lack of) protection.

On the subject of HVAC controls, it's one of the systems that frustrates me. We've heard mixed reactions to the effectiveness, accuracy, and overall function of the AC and heating systems . But, even putting that the side, and if it ultimately works great, there's no need for "auto climate" or digital settings. Fan speeds 1-2-3-4 and the blue to red slider or dial works. It simply works. It does so in the Fit, it did on my Civic SI, and it did on my 1992 LC80 (all three below); that system works well on pretty much every other car built in the last 40 years.

1700154430536.png 1700154467719.png1700154512239.png

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Very fair, no-holds-barred analysis; it supports your post elsewhere where you discussed the underbody (lack of) protection.

On the subject of HVAC controls, it's one of the systems that frustrates me. We've heard mixed reactions to the effectiveness, accuracy, and overall function of the AC and heating systems . But, even putting that the side, and if it ultimately works great, there's no need for "auto climate" or digital settings. Fan speeds 1-2-3-4 and the blue to red slider or dial works. It simply works. It does so in the Fit, it did on my Civic SI, and it did on my 1992 LC80 (all three below); that system works well on pretty much every other car built in the last 40 years.

View attachment 7832844 View attachment 7832845View attachment 7832846
Yeah - the current trend in HVAC controls is maddening to me, and I also find it dangerous. In the Audis I have owned, and in my current Tacoma, it takes three touches to make a change that - in the older systems - required a single touch, and one that did not require you to look at the dash. I would take the HVAC controls in the current 4-Runner (below) over those in any other vehicle. The things you need to use are big, solid, and simple. You can use them without taking your eyes off the road, and you can use them wearing winter gloves. Maybe these are ungainly for use in a high-end auto, but they should be standard in any utilitarian vehicle. I think Ineos did well here, though I think the knobs in the Grenadier could be a little bigger and a little more robust.

2020_transfer_case.jpg

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7832844 View attachment 7832845View attachment 7832846
Keabby,
I agree, basic controls can be sufficient.
I really hope Ineos make some software changes; I find even on ‘manual’ the system is a bit weird, and struggles to be moderate. Its fine if you want very hot or very cold, but I have not yet sorted out how to get, for example, mild heating with the ac on, required when its humid. The ac itself is very capable, as is the heater, so im pretty confident that they will sort it, but there is definitely room for it to become ‘un-noticeable’, as in you just get what you want without having to think too much.

Back
Top Bottom