The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Grenadier Snorkel Issue?

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
I would default to a thick bead of black silicone sealant so as to have it swish out the sides, and then use my finger to clean it up.

I also wouldn't trust all the electrics and connections are waterproof, if it wasn't intended to be that way.
I'll post a photo this afternoon so you can see.
Here it is, if you zoom in close enough you can see how the gasket doesn't even meet the side of the vehicle, and you can see the gap remaining. Its like the light fitting is supposed to pull the side of the RAI in, but the plastic light fitting is too long.

Attachments

• 20240213_072634.jpg
    20240213_072634.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
  • 20240213_072620.jpg
    20240213_072620.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
The question is , do you trust the door seals?
There are several electrical connectors that will get flooded if you get soaked if you get 10cm of water in the footwell.
I'll sit back and wait for a hero to take the deep plunge. Make sure to youtube it!
Definitely... tested sitting the truck in 30 inches of water. Bone dry inside...

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here it is, if you zoom in close enough you can see how the gasket doesn't even meet the side of the vehicle, and you can see the gap remaining. Its like the light fitting is supposed to pull the side of the RAI in, but the plastic light fitting is too long.

Attachments

• 20240213_072634.jpg
    20240213_072634.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 20240213_072620.jpg
    20240213_072620.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

If that was installed by ARB/ TJM or the like, you’d send it back and tell them to do a proper job of it, and not let the first year apprentice at it.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I will definitely stick to the 800mm!!

On the door seals, perhaps I am lucky but if I don't have a window open, I need to close any door "with vigour" in order to latch the doors

If you think that you can actually increase a Grenadier’s wading depth by mounting a high snorkel, let’s remember that a vehicle with doors that seal means that the vehicle is a box that can become a boat.
So, a very very rough back of the envelope calculation show a Grenadier will actually float in water that is shallower than one would think:

Dimensions of a Grenadier’s enclosed cabin are approx. 123” length by 76” width. That gives you 9348 sq. inch for the floor area of cabin (yes, I know there is a raised center tunnel etc.)
Water weighs 0.036 pounds per cubic inch, and a Grenadier weights approx. 6000 pounds with a minimal load.
So, how many cubic inches of water = weight of the vehicle?
6000 lb / 0.036 lbs per cu inch = you need to displace 166,667 cu inches of water to float it like a boat.
So at what wading depth will enough of Grenadier cabin with its door seals be submerged in order to displace enough water to float the vehicle?
The required 166,667 cu inches divided by the 9348 sq inch floor area of cabin means you need 18 inches of water above the bottom of the cabin floor to float.
The Grenadier's ground clearance is 10.4 in, and if we assume the cabin floor is 8 inches above that (just guessing here), you need water that is 18 + 8 + 10.4 inches deep or 36.4 inch deep water.
BUT remember all those videos from this year’s flood: you will lose traction and the ability to resist cross currents way before that.

Why did the old Rovers and Defenders do better? Because the doors were not sealed and thus you could not trap enough water in the cabin to displace enough water to float it. (my old IIA had a fat screw mounted in a holder next to the clutch housing to insert and seal it if you were going to wade a deep crossing).
But a snorkel still looks cool.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
If you think that you can actually increase a Grenadier’s wading depth by mounting a high snorkel, let’s remember that a vehicle with doors that seal means that the vehicle is a box that can become a boat.
So, a very very rough back of the envelope calculation show a Grenadier will actually float in water that is shallower than one would think:

Dimensions of a Grenadier’s enclosed cabin are approx. 123” length by 76” width. That gives you 9348 sq. inch for the floor area of cabin (yes, I know there is a raised center tunnel etc.)
Water weighs 0.036 pounds per cubic inch, and a Grenadier weights approx. 6000 pounds with a minimal load.
So, how many cubic inches of water = weight of the vehicle?
6000 lb / 0.036 lbs per cu inch = you need to displace 166,667 cu inches of water to float it like a boat.
So at what wading depth will enough of Grenadier cabin with its door seals be submerged in order to displace enough water to float the vehicle?
The required 166,667 cu inches divided by the 9348 sq inch floor area of cabin means you need 18 inches of water above the bottom of the cabin floor to float.
The Grenadier's ground clearance is 10.4 in, and if we assume the cabin floor is 8 inches above that (just guessing here), you need water that is 18 + 8 + 10.4 inches deep or 36.4 inch deep water.
BUT remember all those videos from this year’s flood: you will lose traction and the ability to resist cross currents way before that.

Why did the old Rovers and Defenders do better? Because the doors were not sealed and thus you could not trap enough water in the cabin to displace enough water to float it. (my old IIA had a fat screw mounted in a holder next to the clutch housing to insert and seal it if you were going to wade a deep crossing).
But a snorkel still looks cool.
Like this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5ld79joIA

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep I agree. They are happy to look again. It's just organising a time.
Unfortunately after an inspection the dealer said there is nothing they can do. I disagree with their comment that it looks OK and it is fitted correctly. However it can't be adjusted inward, and the light is fitted firmly. Unsure what I can do. I will certainly be cautious at a water crossing, and looking for an after market snorkel.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will certainly be cautious at a water crossing
The factory raised air intake does nothing to increase water fording depth, so no concerns there

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The foam part is not a gasket but more of a medium to stop NVH and stop paint damage over time due to the plastic touching the painted fender during Dynamics. As mentioned earlier this is not a snorkel but a Raised Air Intake mainly for dusty conditions (Standard Air Intake is close to the front wheel). Because of the design of the Air Intake system inside of the Fender you would need to go for a long distance at 1000mm height of water to start to get water ingress in the Engine , the vehicle has a reccommended Wading depth of 800mm . I am sure the aftermarket will find a solution and produce a Snorkel, alternatively you could add further fixings to the RAI/Fender to create something more robust and seal all the entry points using some kind of flexible sealant. A full blown Snorkel was not a business case for Ineos at the time and it was decided to focus on a RAI . How do I know.............I am the Lead Engineer for Exterior inside Ineos and this is my design.
Do you have fitting instructions you could post?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately after an inspection the dealer said there is nothing they can do. I disagree with their comment that it looks OK and it is fitted correctly. However it can't be adjusted inward, and the light is fitted firmly. Unsure what I can do. I will certainly be cautious at a water crossing, and looking for an after market snorkel.
Does the rai run parallel to the a pillar? Or is there a visible widening gap? I’m just thinking you may be able to slacken off the screws securing the upper portion and get a snugger fit.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does the rai run parallel to the a pillar? Or is there a visible widening gap? I’m just thinking you may be able to slacken off the screws securing the upper portion and get a snugger fit.
I had thought of that. However now the through light/ indicator is in place and fits snugly, if the body of rai moves towards the panel of car, I'm concerned the light/indicator will begin to protrude again,. It doesn't appear to be adjustable in length

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
I had thought of that. However now the through light/ indicator is in place and fits snugly, if the body of rai moves towards the panel of car, I'm concerned the light/indicator will begin to protrude again,. It doesn't appear to be adjustable in length
Ah that’s unfortunate. I’m not sure how things are in Aus but do you have the option of refusing the dealers opinion and asking them to escalate things? They will have had to raise a ticket with IA about this.

The dealers lack of ability to fix something doesn’t reflect on the fact that there’s something definitely wrong.

As for their comment that it looks ok. Can you compare it to a vehicle they have in stock?

If the seal is so bad that if you cover the intake at the top and the engine doesn’t stumble or stall that means it’s not a raised intake at all and just a leaky pipe.

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I took mine off in 10 minutes. 6 bolts One of the clips had broken that's holds the Australian (ADR) indicator in place. There is a drain inside the car body. There is also a gasket. It is a duetsch plug connection to the light. That's the hardest bit to undo. I'm not expert but it's not a snorkel the way it is.
Pedro
Here is a thought.. Not meant turning the IG into s submarine. Is it possible to feed a tube through from the airbox, inside the fender, to the RAI. Objective is to reduce the probability water ingestion to the intake and give us a few inches or possibility even a foot extra margin for the unintended deeper than expected water crossing....

Back
Top Bottom