The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Getting Rip off by my dealer

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
And with the pluses comes the minuses, there are weeks where techs will be knocking out 90+hrs of work in a normal 40hr work week, and then there are others where the service department will be slow and they'll barely scrape 20hrs in a week. The shop I used to work at was co-founded by a dealer tech, and thus from the start we always paid our techs hourly instead of flat rate; that way if they were there for 40hrs, they get 40hrs whether they are turning a wrench or sitting around without a car in their bay watching YouTube videos. You'd be surprised how quickly techs who have worked at a dealer for 5-10 years will jump to that model instead of flat rate, even at a pay cut, to get the consistent pay check and don't slack on their work ethic at all
One would figure, if a good mechanic was the type to take the risks, and manage money well, so as to exist in a 100% "commission" arrangement, they would just take the time to start their own business and keep the profit, instead of having to support management and owners with their labor.

Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
Regarding the accessories and install costs, here's another data point I copied off the Warner Ineos Grenadier site for one of the Grenadiers they have for sale:

Fender Checker Plates @ $330, Rock Sliders @ $1,065, Load space Partition Net @ $235, Tailgate Table @ $395, Installation Labor @ $525

Based on book time that would be about $200/hr maybe a little less depending on the Partition net install time which I don't have. High in my pre-runaway inflation mind, but considerably less than what some are reporting and I have to give them a lot of credit for the transparency. It's another data point anyway for those looking to get this type of work done.

Local time
Reaction score
This morning stop by my wonderful local ineos ( RR dealer) just to get some rubber mats. My wonderful RR dealer gives me a price of $280 plus tax, so I reach out to another dealer ( Land Rover jaguar dealer) who is shipping it to me for $ 225 plus tax . Everything from this dealership it seems we have to pay as if the ineos is a RR.
After which I went into the showroom and canceled my second one, I am sure they can mark it up as a RR now .

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
First dealer I was working with wanted 125 an hour for accessory installation. None of these accessories demand hours of labor. I can pop a few rivets into a panel in 30 minutes or less. Bolt on some sliders in a half an hour. Etc. I will be installing all of my bolt-on's myself. I personally enjoy tinkering, so not an issue in my book.

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This morning stop by my wonderful local ineos ( RR dealer) just to get some rubber mats. My wonderful RR dealer gives me a price of $280 plus tax, so I reach out to another dealer ( Land Rover jaguar dealer) who is shipping it to me for $ 225 plus tax . Everything from this dealership it seems we have to pay as if the ineos is a RR.
After which I went into the showroom and canceled my second one, I am sure they can mark it up as a RR now .

:) Your IG is really not that much cheaper than the RR. Well, just a little bit...

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"Everything from this dealership it seems we have to pay as if the ineos is a RR" ... or a Bentley ☺️ . Read an article this week that Bentley sales are down 11% year over year.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In this context, what does RR stand for? I'm assuming Range Rover, but that doesn't quite make sense with what you've written.

Edit: ahhh, Rolls Royce. Ok, I get it now.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s the same in the LR and Porsche world. There are well know dealers that are the go-to ones for parts and they’ve built quite the following for those. Then you have dealers that don’t seem to want to be bothered with selling accessories and so they charge the msrp. It’ll likely be the same with the Ineos as some dealers will be more involved than others.

JayKrup

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Does $300 sound about right for an oil change? Anyone have a price to compare?

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
Does $300 sound about right for an oil change? Anyone have a price to compare?
$200 in Georgia.
$300 doesn't seem outrageous in PNW. (or DC for that matter. Your signature is unclear)

Local time
Reaction score
First dealer I was working with wanted 125 an hour for accessory installation. None of these accessories demand hours of labor. I can pop a few rivets into a panel in 30 minutes or less. Bolt on some sliders in a half an hour. Etc. I will be installing all of my bolt-on's myself. I personally enjoy tinkering, so not an issue in my book.
This isn't an assembly line. Travel, (truck and material acquisition) Staging (setting up the work area) installation (taping prep, drilling, riveting) and cleanup is included in book time.

I can do a skilless chore like change a faulty receptacle in my house in 5 minutes or less, but if a call an electrician, he has to drive to the site, find the issue, acquire the material, set up the work space so he doesn't damage anything and clean up.

If an electrician is 100 bucks an hour, my 5 min is $8.33. Plus material. (selectively ignoring my own time prepping, cleaning up, going to HD for material etc., to comply with your presentation) The electrician will be $200.00 plus material if he's REAAALY nice.

I agree. Do it yourself. It's definitely worth it. But you're doing so because you have more time than money, not because there's time theft occurring. BTW 125/hr is cheap for a dealer level shop. He wasn't on his knees keep ya.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I paid $351.55. ($15/quart for the oil total of $105, $27 for the filter, and $220 for the labor)

Back
Top Bottom