The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gearbox sump pan cracked and cant select neutral

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. In need of some help. Stuck in Tangier with a cracked sump pan to the gearbox. Having spotted it this morning i managed to arrange a flat bed to give us a lift to Tangier. I neutralised the gear box screw and selected neutral to get on the flat bed. Now i have got to Tangier after a hot 7 hour journey the box will not allow me to select N for more than a second before going back to P. The vehicle is now stuck on. The flat bed and cant get it off. Has anyone got any ideas. My thoughts were it has now on the journey dumped so much oil out of the box it wont allow the selection. Other option is to disconnect both front and rear prop? Any ideas??

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Other option is to disconnect both front and rear prop? Any ideas??
No way to fill it up (and let it leak out) to see if that works? Personally, assuming I had the tools, I'd do this before dragging it.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I moved this here to get some attention.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
If you don't have gear fluid handy to try that, the prop shafts should be easy enough to disconnect - looks to be ~10 hex-head bolts and then the prop shaft will disconnect from the hub on the differential (very similar to Jeep JK which had way more bolts but smaller ones).

You probably just need to disconnect front and back at the diffs, and then tie it up off to the side to get it off the flatbed.

Local time
Reaction score
If you don't have gear fluid handy to try that, the prop shafts should be easy enough to disconnect - looks to be ~10 hex-head bolts and then the prop shaft will disconnect from the hub on the differential (very similar to Jeep JK which had way more bolts but smaller ones).

You probably just need to disconnect front and back at the diffs, and then tie it up off to the side to get it off the flatbed.
....and make sure its secured.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. In need of some help. Stuck in Tangier with a cracked sump pan to the gearbox. Having spotted it this morning i managed to arrange a flat bed to give us a lift to Tangier. I neutralised the gear box screw and selected neutral to get on the flat bed. Now i have got to Tangier after a hot 7 hour journey the box will not allow me to select N for more than a second before going back to P. The vehicle is now stuck on. The flat bed and cant get it off. Has anyone got any ideas. My thoughts were it has now on the journey dumped so much oil out of the box it wont allow the selection. Other option is to disconnect both front and rear prop? Any ideas??
You said you neutralised the gearbox via the screw to get it onto the flat bed. To be clear, you're talking about the neutral screw on the side of the Transfer Case - below? It must be fully screwed in clockwise until it bottoms to set the Transfer Case in neutral. Be careful backing out the screw later. Read the Warning in the owner's manual.
Like @NQ94 said, if that screw is all the way in then the transmission status should not affect your ability to roll the vehicle.

Failing that, as suggested above make sure the CDL is unlocked and disconnect the rear driveshaft at the rear/diff end and tie it up clear of the ground. The only thing left to stop it moving is the park brake and wheel brakes.

Screenshot_20240329-091513.jpg

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Disconnected rear prop shaft and neutral screw and car free wheeled off trailer in park.
Just got to get into Europe on the back of a new trailer in the morning and then long lug home via hopefully Ineos AA.
Ordered new transmission sump tray already so hopefully back in shape before end of next week.
Will be investing in further underbody protection before next trip1

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
Disconnected rear prop shaft and neutral screw and car free wheeled off trailer in park.
Just got to get into Europe on the back of a new trailer in the morning and then long lug home via hopefully Ineos AA.
Ordered new transmission sump tray already so hopefully back in shape before end of next week.
Glad you got it sorted @Paul Cooper

The Ineos Forum: Providing 24 hour emergency assistance to owners worldwide 🥇

Local time
Reaction score
Since its all sorted, can you tell us what happened?

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted @Paul Cooper

The Ineos Forum: Providing 24 hour emergency assistance to owners worldwide 🥇
Hi Unfortunately it is not all sorted.
The only help so far is that from the forum in enabling me to release the vehicle allowing it to be transported to southern Spain.
Neutralised the gearbox and disconnected the rear prop shaft.
Thank you all.

Spoke to Ineos CS team now 3 times.
They are utterly useless and haven’t offered any solutions as to how to get to a dealership, which dealership best to go to, ship the gearbox part to the appropriate location, etc, etc.
They also gave me the an European assistance number 00800 33228877 which is apparently the AA Ducati number!!

Has anyone any experience of getting a major issue dealt with abroad and essentially in southern Spain?
Obviously doesn’t help being Easter but there is the dealership in Malaga and service dealership in Seville as being the nearest.
Does anyone know which one would be best to approach??

Thanks again for your help.

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Since its all sorted, can you tell us what happened?
Hi Unfortunately it is not all sorted.
The only help so far is that from the forum in enabling me to release the vehicle allowing it to be transported to southern Spain.
Neutralised the gearbox and disconnected the rear prop shaft.
Thank you all.

Spoke to Ineos CS team now 3 times.
They are utterly useless and haven’t offered any solutions as to how to get to a dealership, which dealership best to go to, ship the gearbox part to the appropriate location, etc, etc.
They also gave me the an European assistance number 00800 33228877 which is apparently the AA Ducati number!!

Has anyone any experience of getting a major issue dealt with abroad and essentially in southern Spain?
Obviously doesn’t help being Easter but there is the dealership in Malaga and service dealership in Seville as being the nearest.
Does anyone know which one would be best to approach??

Thanks again for your help.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
I had a problem with my engine deep in the Sahara desert. Got it sorted by myself in the end. Had the same experience with ineos support. All they said was i am sorry we can not do anything for you. Another false promise! World wide support? Pah!
Ps.: sorry i know this does not help you much in your situation. At least you know you are on your own and don't waste time and energy in trying to get help from them.

Local time
Reaction score
ZF uses those plastic oil pans with integrated filter. I would install a metal pan with a separate filter. For the earlier gearbox versions they are easily available but seems that it is slightly more difficult for 8-series gearboxes. This is only one I could find quickly:

For the urgent need the plastic one should be easily available for example at every BMW or LR dealer or even spare part shops. Just compare ZF numbers to be sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom