The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel upgrade options

Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm curious if anyone has figured out the best way to carry extra petrol? I've seem a few options including adding an additional tank, jerry cans on the roof, or rotomax mounted on the side. Thoughts?

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
Check out Bison Gear…They have the MOLLE panels for the outside rear windows and lockable mounts for Jerry cans. I plan on doing this as I am not a fan of installing a larger fuel tank and modifying the exhaust

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
Check out Bison Gear…They have the MOLLE panels for the outside rear windows and lockable mounts for Jerry cans. I plan on doing this as I am not a fan of installing a larger fuel tank and modifying the exhaust
I have both the Bison MOLLE panrls and roof rack. The roof rack gets trial fitted today. Need to see if I can still get into my garage...
I also have the Bison Gear rear cargo shelf and also the magnetic swing down cargo panel. The cargo shelf is excellant but a fiddle to install. Generally the Bison Gear is good quality but I did get some minor damage during shipment to the paint due to insufficient packaging.
If importing into Aus the import duty is around $430 so be aware.
The MOLLE panels are compatable with the roof rack but the mounting brackets are different and get replaced with the roof rack mounting brackets as the MOLLE ones do not have rivnuts in place for the roof rack. The MOLLE panel holes are not consistent with the mounting required for the ROTOPAX water/fuel carriers in that if you join two of the ROTOPAX containers together the mounting plates do not align with holes in the MOLLE panels. Seperated they can be mounted.

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
I have had nothing to do with side body mounted fuel containers on a wagon and was curious to hear from Aussies and any country about the legalities, insurance and liability if side Molle mounted petrol/gas containers are damaged and fuel a fire in an accident. All I can see is the Ford Pinto scenario of the 70s. If the vehicle rolls or is side swiped what are the chances of splitting the container that is at window height spilling the fuel or even worse the spilling fuel follows the vehicles body lines and enters an open or broken passenger window. Can the containers be released easily in an accident event. I know rear mounted jerry cans have the same potential in a rear end accident but they are generally mounted lower, on heavier constructed rear bars, further from rear seat passengers and there would be cargo in the rear to act as some sort of spill/fire break while touring. In the most likely offroad scenario, a roll over rear mounted fuel cans just seem the safer option.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Deisel is not too much of a problem compared to petrol, however if you are going to use the side mounted fuel to refill the main tank ASAP then the risk would be pretty low. The side mounted tanks can be metal or pretty tough plastic. Personally I will be carrying water on the side and getting the Brown Davis extended range deisel fuel tank fitted.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
I’m not sure the tank will mind what it has in it… I am curious how the petrol sounds with the muffler removed though
The shape may be different to allow for the adblue tank of the diesel rather than a contents issue.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The shape may be different to allow for the adblue tank of the diesel rather than a contents issue.
You could be correct on this as the petrol has extra 15l space where the adblue tank would reside for the diesel. Maybe a different design for the additional petrol tank that does not delete the thrid mufler would work,

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but would love to see a similar setup for the petrol, but having a second tank for water where the adblue cutout is for the tank…. Considering having someone fab this up so I can specify the size of each tank.

Local time
Reaction score
Have a look at these https://expeditionhq.com.au/shop/page/3/?vehicle-fit=ineos-grenadier I have the lockable Jerry can holder on each side. Very secure. Drivers side does slightly limit rear view. Might be better with the 30l tank on this side as it is lower profile. Reasonably easy to remove.
Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm curious your thoughts on the benefits of the jerry can setup vs the XSPEC tanks on the window? Also, any idea why the diesel XSPEC would be larger than petrol?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm curious your thoughts on the benefits of the jerry can setup vs the XSPEC tanks on the window? Also, any idea why the diesel XSPEC would be larger than petrol?
I had duel jerry cans on the pioneer platform without issues on my Patrol, the advantage of the XHQ option is weight on the side of the car, allowing other stuff to go on the roof rack, which has a weight limit (static and dynamic).

If I can take roughly 65kg off the roof rack - good. Plus I can still a 20 litre jerry on my roof rack, maybe even a second one depending on what I have installed. Also two XHQ tanks allow 60 litres of diesel, two jerry cans gives me 40 litres.

Size difference between petrol and diesel may be relate to petrol being more flammable and easier to ignite than diesel.

Last edited:

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom