The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Friday Musings: Will the Grenadier burst the Defender bubble?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
I get the impression from his early videos, that he was looking for involvement in the Grenadier project, and was 'overlooked' (to put it politely)

From then on he started ranting about it not being built in the UK, and how its going to be rubbish because its not got enough ground clearance and air suspension is superior. For a while he was commenting on every INEOS post slating it.

I can't take people like that seriously, especially seeing as he's now ordered one 🤔🤣

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
I get the impression from his early videos, that he was looking for involvement in the Grenadier project, and was 'overlooked' (to put it politely)

From then on he started ranting about it not being built in the UK, and how its going to be rubbish because its not got enough ground clearance and air suspension is superior. For a while he was commenting on every INEOS post slating it.

I can't take people like that seriously, especially seeing as he's now ordered one 🤔🤣
I don’t understand why he ordered one ,
Does he want to grill it in social media to prove he is right? that would be a quite costly way to do so.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Not Trobex in disguise is it? 🤔😂

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah Russel has been slating the grenadier on INEOS's socials for ages, after initially praising the idea. Talks a lot of nonsense. Bit of a wish.com ASPW...🤣
Just been watching his YouTube vid' from two years ago concerning the Grenadier. Came across as very enthusiastic if you take away the dry Yorkshire humour. His main concerns (without hindsight) was the use of BMW engines and the dealer support network. He does actually say that his experience with BMW is not recent. To date, the new Grenadier owners don't yet have the online manuals and I have no idea as to spares availability. Hopefully I will have more to say next week when my own vehicle should be just about ready.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
I'd have enjoyed that more if I hadn't have to look up his nose for the entire length of the video.

By the end all I was seeing was this:
View attachment 7809991
yep, I made it about 30 seconds. Had to turn it off. Plus, I was looking for an owner experience, not another test drive video.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
In my head, I've likened the Gren to the D2 (which I had one of) - super capable, trimmed nicely enough, good for work or play, and good looking.
Yes it’s not a bad comparison in some ways, my D2 was top of the range so probably was a little more blingy than you can make a Grenadier but general underpinnings and gestalt similar. My D2 was a quality disaster though, leaking roof from new, front diff exploded 2 months in, bits falling off, hope the IG does better than that. But overall I would say the Grendier feels more substantial in every way, bigger, heavier but also more powerful

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes it’s not a bad comparison in some ways, my D2 was top of the range so probably was a little more blingy than you can make a Grenadier but general underpinnings and gestalt similar. My D2 was a quality disaster though, leaking roof from new, front diff exploded 2 months in, bits falling off, hope the IG does better than that. But overall I would say the Grendier feels more substantial in every way, bigger, heavier but also more powerful
My mate used to have a td5 disco 2 that he was given for his farm job. We used to joke that the pedal on the right was the 'increase decibel pedal' as it seemed to make no difference to speed, just more noise 🤣🤣

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
yep, I made it about 30 seconds. Had to turn it off. Plus, I was looking for an owner experience, not another test drive video.
The other point in his video that's quite interesting ~ agent "threw him the keys". So is this the first agent demo vehicle on the road? Which agent is he using?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My mate used to have a td5 disco 2 that he was given for his farm job. We used to joke that the pedal on the right was the 'increase decibel pedal' as it seemed to make no difference to speed, just more noise 🤣🤣
🤣 oh come on now, it wasn’t that bad, it was no rocketship but it was ok, the Grenadier is most certainly a step or several steps up in go though.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
We only had the petrol option here - an aging 4.6L with its roots that of a 3.5L Buick - but even so, it probably wasn't much faster.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
I have never been a Land Rover fan so it's going doesn't impact me at all.
On the other hand I can definitely understand the feelings for long term passionate LR owners and supporters.
And this is part of the reason why I haven't thrown my money down for a Grenadier. I need to be really sure it's going to be a long term improvement for what I do over my defender. Because once the Defender is gone it's never coming back. :oops:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
And this is part of the reason why I haven't thrown my money down for a Grenadier. I need to be really sure it's going to be a long term improvement for what I do over my defender. Because once the Defender is gone it's never coming back. :oops:
It is a shame and unfortunate that the old girl has to go...but as you say you'll wait to see if the Gren makes the cut...it has for me so far just by knowing what is behind it and in it and especially the auto...now closer to 70 years onwards it is the game changer...the 1959 series 2 stays in the quiver...happy motoring ;)

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Totally understand your thinking on this.

Why not get the Grenadier and if it satisfies your requirements - then sell the Defer (subject to $$ of course)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How are you going to be really sure it's for you without throwing your money down?

A test drive (10 minutes or two hours), a crawl underneath, a studious read through a technical specifications sheet can only get you so far.

When you say the Defender is not coming back, it's still going to be around for a good few years. Other than the financial side of the equation, isn't there always going to be a return route to an old Defender if the Grenadier fails to live up to expectations?

Back
Top Bottom