The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Friday Musings: Will the Grenadier burst the Defender bubble?

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
This is a great article from Sam which mirrors my feelings precisely.

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/...campaign=73ea3dbc-8588-4403-9185-2fcfd9f4219c

I have driven a Defender td5 110 for 5 years and over 250,000km and I agree with the article too

when I ordered the IG I had doubts about many things but not about the fact that the project was spectacular. Even the toyota 70 series is amazing but not to make us over 40,000km/year.

today out of pure curiosity I went into the LR dealership to see the new Defender. There were two on display: a V8 and a 75 Anniversary. Respectively €150,000 and €120,000. Apart from the price, I have only seen an SUV like many others. It didn't even make me want a test drive. I said goodbye to the spare parts man who years earlier had given me filters and various spare parts and went away.

it is no longer the LR I knew.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
I have driven LR Defenders since I was 16. I have been to war zones in them. I love them dearly. However the new "Defender" is a completely different vehicle - it is a lovely SUV and should be - for the price. The reason I walked away from LR Defenders was simply because they don't make a "Defender" anymore. I want a vehicle I feel able to modify, live in and get to be friends with. A soul-less Chelsea tractor is not that. Like most on here, I have taken a punt on the IG to be the modern option to rekindle my feeling of "I can go anywhere with this thing and I trust it - despite its idiosyncrasies". Of course it's a "feeling" - but life is about feeling isn't it? I cannot afford to have an IG and a Defender (old or new!) so I have my eggs in this basket. If I am wrong, then I will go back to a Defender (old style) - but never to a shiny SUV that simply doesn't cater to my needs.

Local time
Reaction score
l did 90,000 miles in my 2005 Defender 110 before selling it and buying......a new Defender

As a business owner l had to look past the emotion and decide which vehicle would be better for my business going forward.

So l bought a base specification 90 Commercial (well, a few extras such as tow bar, centre console, fog lamps, but not much)

l have to say, the new Defender is a fantastic vehicle, the D250 engine is outstanding and it's nothing like a Discovery to drive. lt's not "soulless" but obviously a different vehicle than the old version.
l think it looks best in base 90 specification with the steel wheels.
l've had no issues with it but l really like the look of the Grenadier. Now it's actually available l am looking at changing over.

Attachments

• IMG_9960.jpeg
    IMG_9960.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 20

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
New Defender - It is lovely - really! But I cannot drill holes in one and feel that I am improving it for my own reasons! I totally accept it's fantastic as a new 4x4 but somehow, I am with Sir Jim on his crazy idea to make a car that gives me an option to bolt stuff onto it and (horror) scratch down a Scottish mountain without annoying my wife. :)

Local time
Reaction score
New Defender - It is lovely - really! But I cannot drill holes in one and feel that I am improving it for my own reasons! I totally accept it's fantastic as a new 4x4 but somehow, I am with Sir Jim on his crazy idea to make a car that gives me an option to bolt stuff onto it and (horror) scratch down a Scottish mountain without annoying my wife. :)

l can see that, and it's one of the reasons l am looking at the Grenadier myself.

All the fun of an old Defender without the heartache

Local time
Reaction score
Totally understand your thinking on this.

Why not get the Grenadier and if it satisfies your requirements - then sell the Defer (subject to $$ of course)
My problem is I don't have the garage space .. or maybe the finance for a defender and a grenadier. Even if I did I'm not sure I'd be able to justify having two. :eek:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
My problem is I don't have the garage space .. or maybe the finance for a defender and a grenadier. Even if I did I'm not sure I'd be able to justify having two. :eek:
yeah I understand but, surely you will decide relatively quickly (like, 2 months) and then sell one of them.

Otherwise I'm not sure of the exact arrangement by which you are going to adequately satisfy yourself and feel comfortable.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
I have driven LR Defenders since I was 16. I have been to war zones in them. I love them dearly. However the new "Defender" is a completely different vehicle - it is a lovely SUV and should be - for the price. The reason I walked away from LR Defenders was simply because they don't make a "Defender" anymore. I want a vehicle I feel able to modify, live in and get to be friends with. A soul-less Chelsea tractor is not that. Like most on here, I have taken a punt on the IG to be the modern option to rekindle my feeling of "I can go anywhere with this thing and I trust it - despite its idiosyncrasies". Of course it's a "feeling" - but life is about feeling isn't it? I cannot afford to have an IG and a Defender (old or new!) so I have my eggs in this basket. If I am wrong, then I will go back to a Defender (old style) - but never to a shiny SUV that simply doesn't cater to my needs.
Every time I have driven an SUV I've felt I've been squeezed into somebody else's clothes!
A bit too comfortable , not the hair shirt I've grown up with!

Back
Top Bottom