The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Flat towing

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
I thought it is possible when the screw in the transfer case is opened.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Confirmed this morning with INEOS that IG CANNOT be flat towed for anything other than very short distances. That one small factor is me out. We have to have something that can be towed four down behind our motorcoach.
Just buy a car trailer instead.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought it is possible when the screw in the transfer case is opened.
It most certainly can, it looks like the service manual is not “recommending” flat towing except for recovery purposes so I guess it is possible but not warrantied

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just buy a car trailer instead.
Problem is finding a car trailer than can take a 2700kg load and remain under 3500 gross trailer mass. Most trailers that can take that much weight are fairly heavy duty so the ineos+trailer will be above 3500 which means your RV has to be capable of towing around 4000kg which rules out a fair chunk of them.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Problem is finding a car trailer than can take a 2700kg load and remain under 3500 gross trailer mass. Most trailers that can take that much weight are fairly heavy duty so the ineos+trailer will be above 3500 which means your RV has to be capable of towing around 4000kg which rules out a fair chunk of them.
aluminum trailers - not cheap, but plenty of excavators use them.

Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
A trailer is better for the car getting transported/towed overall and also you can backup. When flat towing you can't back up far at all if any. The big problem with a car trailer for motorhome travel is when going to many RV parks in North America it becomes a big issue as to where you put that trailer should they not have room. Flat towing is by far better in that application even with it's own set of issues. The marketing was a bit off on saying it can be flat towed.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
I think some identified this particular trailer:
FB_IMG_1666945575760.jpg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw someone somewhere else speculating that you can’t flat tow for any distance because of the transfer case cooler which needs the vehicle to be running, flat towing with drive shafts connected will overheat the transfer case.

Flat towing close to 3 tons behind your house on wheels sounds like madness to me in any case. Not my idea of fun

Local time
Reaction score
Gearbox in neutral otherwise the parking brake won't release, not sure if there's a manual cable like they have on Land Rovers to emergency release. If you have totally lost all electrical power to the vehicle then there is a bolt you can screw in on the bottom of the gearbox to release the parking brake so it can be towed.

There's a pretty digestible write up about it here.

One thing I'm not sure on is if INEOS are changing out the standard plastic oil pan / oelwanne of the ZF box to an alloy or steel version. The plastic pan has an integrated filter assembly for the transmission fluid. As far as I'm aware the steel versions have a separate filter assembly. I forgot to look with my excitement when I saw the Grenadier in LA.

For reference Land Rover use the ZF plastic pan with additional underbody shielding to protect it.

As far as LR are concerned the transmission fluid is for life, but ZF say 70 or 75K if I remember correctly for a drain and refill.

Here are some photos of the new pan ready to go on my Disco4/LR4

View attachment 7795202
View attachment 7795203
View attachment 7795204
View attachment 7795205

Stu, per my pics from the Seattle driving event at Dirtfish, it has the standard plastic ZF pan w/ integrated filter. At least the IG is supposed to have a metal skid plate over this (unlike newer Ford F350's w/ plastic pan and no skid plate).
"Lifetime" fluid on this rig would mean lifetime of the OEM warranty, ie 60k interval IMHO; and at that time, swap to the steel pan w/ replaceable filter (standard procedure for us on Rovers).

Local time
Reaction score
I saw someone somewhere else speculating that you can’t flat tow for any distance because of the transfer case cooler which needs the vehicle to be running, flat towing with drive shafts connected will overheat the transfer case.

Flat towing close to 3 tons behind your house on wheels sounds like madness to me in any case. Not my idea of fun
A 25 Ton Prevost Bus or any of the other large motorhomes here in North America has no issue towing that.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Stu, per my pics from the Seattle driving event at Dirtfish, it has the standard plastic ZF pan w/ integrated filter. At least the IG is supposed to have a metal skid plate over this (unlike newer Ford F350's w/ plastic pan and no skid plate).

No metal skid plate fitted as standard. There's talk of it being an optional extra from August time onwards.

Local time
Reaction score
No metal skid plate fitted as standard. There's talk of it being an optional extra from August time onwards.

Interesting. IA staff at Seattle, WA event stated that they had the metal engine skid plate off the vehicle on the angled inspection rack, so everyone could see what lies above the engine skid.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. IA staff at Seattle, WA event stated that they had the metal engine skid plate off the vehicle on the angled inspection rack, so everyone could see what lies above the engine skid.
Yes, they may have been using/testing the optional extra skid plate that is due out in August. It's just not fitted as standard at present.

Who knows for the US Market ~ but unlikely given the price challenges.

Edit:
Early version appears to be in two parts (this vehicle was also fitted with diff guards/sliders):
IMG_20230523_082834.jpg

Last edited:

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought these were originally spoken of as standard equipment, I wonder if these would be retrofitted to customers cars that don't have them.... One can hope....

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought these were originally spoken of as standard equipment, I wonder if these would be retrofitted to customers cars that don't have them.... One can hope....
No, I'm not aware they were ever spoken about as standard equipment. What was always standard was the front & rear skid plates and the fuel tank guard.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No, I'm not aware they were ever spoken about as standard equipment. What was always standard was the front & rear skid plates and the fuel tank guard.
That has been my understanding also... additional underbody protection was mentioned by Ineos as an option but I cannot find reference to it in either the early Australian nor UK price lists.

Last edited:

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, they may have been using/testing the optional extra skid plate that is due out in August. It's just not fitted as standard at present.

Who knows for the US Market ~ but unlikely given the price challenges.

Edit:
Early version appears to be in two parts (this vehicle was also fitted with diff guards/sliders):
View attachment 7813204

These pics are form a production unit going through PDI,

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21 (6).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21 (5).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21 (4).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.21.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.20 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 14.19.20.jpeg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
I have to imagine there are folks on the board (or just lurk) who are affiliated with IA - I wonder if there are any IA techs/mechanics amongst us? More importantly, are they're allowed to make that known? Are they able to provide some specific information. When I had my Raptor and was on a Ford forum, there were several guys (mechanics) from Ford dealerships who contributed.

Back
Top Bottom