The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Flat towing

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Do those signs mean the vehicle can’t be towed in the event of a breakdown ?
it can probably be flat towed for short distances but can’t be lifted and towed on 2 wheels (Same as Classic Land rover Defender) should be put on a flatbed. (Defender says to flat tow both gearboxes have to be in neutral.)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
it can probably be flat towed for short distances but can’t be lifted and towed on 2 wheels (Same as Classic Land rover Defender) should be put on a flatbed. (Defender says to flat tow both gearboxes have to be in neutral.)
Interesting, logical both gearboxes to be in neutral. Last time I looked the Grenny only allowed High or Low locked/unlocked and no neutral position on transfer case selector

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting, logical both gearboxes to be in neutral. Last time I looked the Grenny only allowed High or Low locked/unlocked and no neutral position on transfer case selector
If thats the case it probebly cant be towed, well to get it unstuck would be fine but only short distances / offroad. It's a trailer job, fingers crossed its more reliable than land rovers are!!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes ~ I questioned this on a test drive and was told there was definitely no neutral; yet Greg Clark has stated the opposite?
Screenshot_20221231_074857_com.android.chrome.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
Really wondering if the transmission is self lubricating or if it needs a pump. Would have been super nice to have full float with locking hubs. Will have to wait and see I guess.
Yeah, I was hoping that the axles would be full-float "one-ton" axles - given the curb weight of the Grenadier, and its payload capacity. But as soon as I saw they were 6-lug I figured they were semi-float. In the U.S. all our full-float one-ton axles are 8-lug. A full-float rear axle has many advantages...

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
Gearbox in neutral otherwise the parking brake won't release, not sure if there's a manual cable like they have on Land Rovers to emergency release. If you have totally lost all electrical power to the vehicle then there is a bolt you can screw in on the bottom of the gearbox to release the parking brake so it can be towed.

There's a pretty digestible write up about it here.

One thing I'm not sure on is if INEOS are changing out the standard plastic oil pan / oelwanne of the ZF box to an alloy or steel version. The plastic pan has an integrated filter assembly for the transmission fluid. As far as I'm aware the steel versions have a separate filter assembly. I forgot to look with my excitement when I saw the Grenadier in LA.

For reference Land Rover use the ZF plastic pan with additional underbody shielding to protect it.

As far as LR are concerned the transmission fluid is for life, but ZF say 70 or 75K if I remember correctly for a drain and refill.

Here are some photos of the new pan ready to go on my Disco4/LR4

View attachment 7795202
View attachment 7795203
View attachment 7795204
View attachment 7795205
Gearbox in neutral otherwise the parking brake won't release, not sure if there's a manual cable like they have on Land Rovers to emergency release. If you have totally lost all electrical power to the vehicle then there is a bolt you can screw in on the bottom of the gearbox to release the parking brake so it can be towed.

There's a pretty digestible write up about it here.

One thing I'm not sure on is if INEOS are changing out the standard plastic oil pan / oelwanne of the ZF box to an alloy or steel version. The plastic pan has an integrated filter assembly for the transmission fluid. As far as I'm aware the steel versions have a separate filter assembly. I forgot to look with my excitement when I saw the Grenadier in LA.

For reference Land Rover use the ZF plastic pan with additional underbody shielding to protect it.

As far as LR are concerned the transmission fluid is for life, but ZF say 70 or 75K if I remember correctly for a drain and refill.

Here are some photos of the new pan ready to go on my Disco4/LR4

View attachment 7795202
View attachment 7795203
View attachment 7795204
View attachment 7795205
Pretty sure the park brake is a manual cable type with an old fashioned lever, and not an electric one as implied here.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
There’s a transmission brake in the gearbox and the parking brake (for the North Americans) or hand brake (for everyone else I believe) is a cable to the rear calipers. At least it appears to be. Not sure if it’s to a set of pads or shoes. But I’m someone has already worked that one out.

Happy new year everyone:)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
There’s a transmission brake in the gearbox and the parking brake (for the North Americans) or hand brake (for everyone else I believe) is a cable to the rear calipers. At least it appears to be. Not sure if it’s to a set of pads or shoes. But I’m someone has already worked that one out.

Happy new year everyone:)
This is a picture I took under the back seat showing the single wire handbrake cable coming from the lever in the front and operation two wires, one going to each wheel in the back

1672554553419.jpeg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There’s a transmission brake in the gearbox and the parking brake (for the North Americans) or hand brake (for everyone else I believe) is a cable to the rear calipers. At least it appears to be. Not sure if it’s to a set of pads or shoes.
Screenshot_20211023_162947_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
Screenshot_20210821_132422.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Your link includes a very good short video on the bolt. My only worry would be it doesn't seem to have any locknut/anti vibration arrangement. I think it might be worth checking the size & thread pitch and carrying a spare.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
The stop nuts
My only worry would be it doesn't seem to have any locknut/anti vibration arrangement.
The usual way to secure such a nut is to give it a rounded shape with which it rests on the bolt. This will secure the nut.

I would be very surprised if this was different here.

2491_0.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, I was hoping that the axles would be full-float "one-ton" axles - given the curb weight of the Grenadier, and its payload capacity. But as soon as I saw they were 6-lug I figured they were semi-float. In the U.S. all our full-float one-ton axles are 8-lug. A full-float rear axle has many advantages...

I’ve been wondering about the rear as well - whether it’s a full float or semi.

FWIW, Defenders are 5 lug and full float-

Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering about the rear as well - whether it’s a full float or semi.

FWIW, Defenders are 5 lug and full float-
Sadly - its semi-float. I forget where I read that though...

Back
Top Bottom