The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

fixed air compressor

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Dear Highwayman, thank you very much for your comprehensive answer. I think the compressor has enough air in the car with the passenger rear door open. I just have to fold up the seat. It tends to be cooler in the car in the desert thanks to the air conditioning. Thanks for the electrical information. I look forward to more information and input

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have finally successfully installed my ARB compressor (ARB KOMPRESSOR 12-VOLT, CKMA12). Thanks for the tips @Highwayman. First I ordered a plastic plate 8 mm thick. I used cardboard to press off the bolts and drilled the (8 mm) holes in the plastic as a template. Then I deepened it to 4 mm with the milling machine so that the nuts lay flat with the surface. Next, I inserted threaded claws into the plastic from below to attach the base plate of the compressor. There are rubber rings under the plastic plate. Then first test. Everything fit. So attached the plate with screw glue. The base plate of the compressor too. But I had to remove the auxiliary battery to get proper access to the screws to finally fix the compressor. I connected the electrics first (thanks to Highwayman's recommendation) after removing the FI13 fuse. I shortened the long power cable by about 120 cm. I didn't braid a new short wiring harness for everything. Someone did it but I couldn't find the post. The connections for the air locker (which I didn't need) have enough space and stayed on the wiring harness. Finally, I sawed a hole measuring 21 mm x 36.5 mm into the rear cover of the battery compartment on the passenger side (LHD) for the switch. See photo. The compressor works perfectly, protected with 40 A via the FI13 with the ignition switched on. “Oh what a lucky man, he was …“

cmurray

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:52 AM
Reaction score
I tested the compressed air gun. By ARB. It works well even without an air reservoir. With short bursts, the gun is good at dusting off the inside of the car.
I've carried one of these air guns for about 15 years. They are quite robust and compact, so you can stick most places without having to worry about damaging it.
04-0500_001.jpg

RobH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

has anyone already installed an air compressor for tire inflation in the car? Does it fit under the bonnet?

Chris
Chris,
Someone from Perth (Aus) put one of the smaller ARB compressors under the back seat in the space left after the dual batteries and Ctek Smart Pass are accommodated.
On my enquiry with ARB dealer that model would take quite some time to pump back up say 6 tyres (off road van) from say 25psi to 37psi. I doubt whether there is room under the bonnet for a 'serious' compressor without getting in the way of original infrastructure.
RobH

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi,

has anyone already installed an air compressor for tire inflation in the car? Does it fit under the bonnet?

Chris
Seriously considered the built-in option.
However for practicality I now stow mine (ARB heavy duty single cylinder 10+ yrs old) in its plastic box on the floor between rear seat and passenger front seat.
Carry only when required, easy to access, available for other purposes, not considered (by insurance company) as "part of the vehicle"...

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
Two vehicles here and a Gren in production. I use the ARB suitcase - grab and go whenever I need it (even used on a boat at the dock!).

Gibby

Donny Grey, White Roof, Red Frame, much more.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do not believe the ARB CKMA 12 compressor is recommended for tyre inflation.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it's no problem to blow up the tire in a very short time with this compressor. However, it doesn't have a large air reservoir and can't bring back a tire that has come off the rim, but I always have it on board and it works great. Here in Europe I don't drive around in the desert, not yet.

cmurray

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think you are confusing the CKMA 12 with the CKSA 12. The CKSA 12 is designed just for activating the ARB diff locks. The following is from the ARB website.
this compressor has been designed for Air Locker activation (on-board model), fast tyre inflation and a range of other functions whether they be for work or play.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
The last time I looked under the bonnet it didn’t look like there was enough room to lose a 10mm socket.
You need absolutely no space to lose a 10mm socket. As soon as you drop one, it apparently vaporizes and will pass through the resident black hole to the th dimension, never to be seen again. Pulling the engine is often not enough to uncover where it went....

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I finally found the right spot. Under the driver's seat. I had the T-Max compressor already in use and found that if you unscrew the base plate and the mounting brackets it perfectly fits under the seat. It fits tight enough that I do not even feel the need to fix it somehow. When the door is closed it can't go anywhere. If I experience thermal issues I can always pull it out and put it in the footwell while using it. The hose can be stored on top of it under the seat too. Always at hand. Perfect solution for me.
PXL_20231021_093830277.jpgPXL_20231021_093855133.jpgPXL_20231021_093842901.jpg

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the Sherpa Big Air? I’ve previously used the ARB twin with a resevoir which worked great on my Defender 130. I had the compressor under the driver’s seat and the tank under the floor below it protected by the chassis. Unfortunately, the Grenadier is a bit pushed for space in that regard. I am considering the Sherpa which seems to have massive output and store it in a drawer system I will be installing. The current draw is fairly high, but I could utilise the NATO plug for the job.
Happy to hear your thoughts.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the Sherpa Big Air? I’ve previously used the ARB twin with a resevoir which worked great on my Defender 130. I had the compressor under the driver’s seat and the tank under the floor below it protected by the chassis. Unfortunately, the Grenadier is a bit pushed for space in that regard. I am considering the Sherpa which seems to have massive output and store it in a drawer system I will be installing. The current draw is fairly high, but I could utilise the NATO plug for the job.
I think a portable option that can utilize the NATO plus is my plan. But I need a truck first 😁

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Looks like a great option.

Im currently looking at options to maximise onboard air in a fixed installation.

Space is at a premium and struggling to find a good spot for the larger compressors as I like to keep the load space intact.

Down near the adblue tanks there is a bit of room.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My T-Max under the seat does a great job. Easy and quickly accessible. No heat issues whatsoever. I found the Grenadier built-in tire pressure monitoring system is really useful when inflating the tyres. You can read the actual pressure while inflating. The on-off switch is on the compressor accessible from the driver's seat. I even used it while driving to blow away dust from the dash. Will be upgraded with an air tank soon....PXL_20240228_124009082.jpg
PXL_20240222_131906374~2 (1).jpg

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1000012615.jpg

I used this setup yesterday, and still find myself debating between the convenience of a smaller onboard system and the above, which I know will gladly work till the cows come home.

I'm being slowly convinced to think about the onboard system.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7848278

I used this setup yesterday, and still find myself debating between the convenience of a smaller onboard system and the above, which I know will gladly work till the cows come home.

I'm being slowly convinced to think about the onboard system.
That's exactly the compressor i am using. Just another brand but same build. If you unscrew the base plate and the holder it will exactly fit under the drivers seat.

Back
Top Bottom