The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

fixed air compressor

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:14 PM
Reaction score
Would be good to know; hoping there’s room forward of a front wheel arch guard, sort of behind a headlight. Apparently one side not… maybe DCPU has some thoughts after his meticulous inspections (thank you!)

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score
Yes it is a CKMA 12 mine arrived today and i will be trying to do it in the same area , its a single piston so the 40amp will be fine for it . i will use some coupling nuts to extend the studs and use a plate to bolt it on to . fingers crossed . If they sell that bracket that would make life a lot easier !

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
is it possible to turn it on with one of the pre-installed switches?
where does the air hose go to? where is the connector?
still need to find a space to store the hose and inflator....
He is running a hose to the back of the vehicle and fitting the bayonet fitting along with the switch to a drawer system panel at the side similar to the image below353826633_688626126595680_8297476103336259805_n.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Would be good to know; hoping there’s room forward of a front wheel arch guard, sort of behind a headlight. Apparently one side not… maybe DCPU has some thoughts after his meticulous inspections (thank you!)
I've not measured but I think it may be tight. What about the space where the integrated winch goes, if you don't have the integrated winch?

And if the 40 amp tails labelled for the dust gun/compressor are under the rear seats, where was that one going to go?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
That’s good install and use of space. I’ve got the ARB suitcase. The dual compressor would not fit there, let alone trying to find a space for the air tank, so I’ll leave my current set-up alone for now.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've not measured but I think it may be tight. What about the space where the integrated winch goes, if you don't have the integrated winch?

And if the 40 amp tails labelled for the dust gun/compressor are under the rear seats, where was that one going to go?
That’s a great suggestion, twin compressor in lieu of winch. Fingers crossed. I know the winch requires different crossmember, and it is a tight space, but it’s potentially a convenient and well cooled spot, and use of the 500a circuit. Might even be space for a reservoir tank.
Thanks dcpu.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The other space is could go is the left hand wheel arch/cavity between inner and outer body sides.

Or picking back up on those 40 amp tails, in the space the auxiliary battery goes.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you mean in the bottle jack space near left wheel?
given the great heat generated by raising 4 tyres from desert to road pressures, i wont mount it in battery/seat box, or in an inside space. If i cant find an engine bay or ventilated under car spot, the next best is the bulky briefcase portable solution. However, id much rather have it always onboard for unexpected need.
its the one thing I’d almost expect ineos to have offered as standard, and certainly to have planned a space for. It is critical to any serious overlanding, for most people it comes well before a winch, especially if you have diff locks, and a friend in another car!
still, they got so much right it seems like a quibble…
thanks again for the thoughts.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you mean in the bottle jack space near left wheel?
That space left or right, or indeed just forward of it on the left is an even bigger space.
its the one thing I’d almost expect ineos to have offered as standard, and certainly to have planned a space for. It is critical to any serious overlanding, for most people it comes well before a winch, especially if you have diff locks, and a friend in another car!
still, they got so much right it seems like a quibble…
I think they did, but it fell by the wayside (for whatever reasons) like the inverter and gullwing panels. Who's not to say it's just been parked and will make an appearance in the future?

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Hello thank you @Highwayman for the inspiration https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...your-grenadier-today.12411127/post-1333192813 in this thread.
And thanks to @Michael H. for this picture https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/fixed-air-compressor.12412482/post-1333190011 I intend to install the ARB compressor CKMR 12 in the same place.
The questions I have for the community.
1. How should I turn the compressor. In the photos he is sometimes this way and sometimes that way? 2. Where do I get the power, directly from the auxiliary battery or from the starter battery?
3. Is there a good way to get there with the compressor air hose or is it necessary to permanently install a hose like @Highwayman did?
4. I would like to install the switch in the position where the @Highwayman drained / punctured the hose for compressed air.
And a 5th last more general question: can you blow out the dust from the car with the compressor with a compressed air nozzle, or is an air reservoir necessary for this? Thank you in advance for your ideas and advice.
Barney

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello @Barney

My answers to your questions detailed below ……

1. How should I turn the compressor. In the photos he is sometimes this way and sometimes that way?
I chose to orientate the compressor the way I did because it seemed to fit best that way - in my view. I don’t think it matters too much to be honest.

2. Where do I get the power, directly from the auxiliary battery or from the starter battery?
I took the power from the INEOS supplied wires in the same compartment (brown - permanently live, black - negative/ground). They are connected to a 40amp fuse (F113 from memory) and so will draw power from the starter battery (I believe?). I connected the brown and black to the ARB relay. There is a third wire (yellow) that is switched live by the car ignition and I used this to connect to the ARB switch (and so power up the relay).

It is also possible to connect direct to the starter battery or the auxiliary battery (and the ARB loom will make this easy) but I thought I would tie into the original INEOS design.

3. Is there a good way to get there with the compressor air hose or is it necessary to permanently install a hose like @Highwayman did?
For convenience when using the compressor I decided to extend the air hose to the rear compartment. You don’t need to extend the air hose. You could just place the air outlet on the compressor, but I decided against this, as it would mean I would have to go under the seat each time I wanted to use it.

Interestingly, it was a bit of a challenge to find 1/4NPT fittings. They are not a common size in UK.

4. I would like to install the switch in the position where the @Highwayman drained / punctured the hose for compressed air.
Relatively straightforward to remove the rear panel (refer to posts from @rovie and @Jean Mercier for good pictures). The panel has some strengthening ribs on the rear side. I removed these with a flap disc so that I could get a good seal with the air hose and electrical fittings.

And a 5th last more general question: can you blow out the dust from the car with the compressor with a compressed air nozzle, or is an air reservoir necessary for this?
I haven’t tried. I suspect it will be better with a reservoir.

Hope that’s useful Barney. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom