The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

First overlanding experience

Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m considering an ineos to overland the americas with a family of four. Should I rather choose a Land Cruiser…?

It will be a 1-year voyage :)

Looking forward to read from all your inputs.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m considering an ineos to overland the americas with a family of four. Should I rather choose a Land Cruiser…?

Go forth in a Grenadier and spread the good word.
DaBull

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well, that's a tricky question ...
  • If I were you I would do it with my Grenadier, anyhow ...
  • If you are going to South America, (and if you are not me) perhaps a Land Cruiser, because Ineos hasn't any support yet in Latin America (as far as I know)
  • If you are travelling only in North America, take your Grenadier, Ineos is already there
In any case: tell them (Ineos) what you plan to do, and ask what kind of support you can obtain. Try to contact somebody from higher management.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
I agree with Jean, the Land Cruiser will have ample support throughout the Americas as Toyota is probably represented in most all countries. But it is an adventure, so the Gren might fit the bill as well.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Where are your planned stops through "the Americas"? How much non-pavement travel is in your plans (and how remote are you going)? What are your plans for sleeping and how much gear are you planning on carrying along?

Additionally, to properly answer this question, which Land Cruiser are you considering, and when are you planning on taking this journey?

Local time
Reaction score
Well, that's a tricky question ...
  • If I were you I would do it with my Grenadier, anyhow ...
  • If you are going to South America, (and if you are not me) perhaps a Land Cruiser, because Ineos hasn't any support yet in Latin America (as far as I know)
  • If you are travelling only in North America, take your Grenadier, Ineos is already there
In any case: tell them (Ineos) what you plan to do, and ask what kind of support you can obtain. Try to contact somebody from higher management.
Hi Jean,
I’m in the process of convincing the “DIV” to accept the homologation of a new petrol LC 79 double cab. Depending on their answer, it will be that or a quartermaster.

I already contacted ineos, got a very approximate answer from a PR employee, just stating that they might cover South America next year.

Time will tell. I hope you’re satisfied with your grenadier :)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Jean,
I’m in the process of convincing the “DIV” to accept the homologation of a new petrol LC 79 double cab. Depending on their answer, it will be that or a quartermaster.

I already contacted ineos, got a very approximate answer from a PR employee, just stating that they might cover South America next year.

Time will tell. I hope you’re satisfied with your grenadier :)
The Toyota Land Cruiser has been my dream since a long time, very reliable. But 11 years ago I hesitated too much, bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara. The car was good.

Now, retired, it was: I buy what I dream off. But Toyota doesn't import anymore these Land Cruisers ...

Therefore the Grenadier. I would perhaps also have chosen the Grenadier if I had a choice.

Yes, quite happy with the performance of my Grenadier, but some early model problems and lack of decent responses from Hedin and Ineos are tempering my enthusiasm.

But I always drive the car with a big grin on my face ☺️

Good luck with the DIV (Belgian Registration Office)

Local time
Reaction score
Where are your planned stops through "the Americas"? How much non-pavement travel is in your plans (and how remote are you going)? What are your plans for sleeping and how much gear are you planning on carrying along?

Additionally, to properly answer this question, which Land Cruiser are you considering, and when are you planning on taking this journey?
Hi Anand,

We plan on shipping to Halifax(Canada), go to the west see Vancouver island, then head to the south and visit a couple of US national parks, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Costa Rica to Panama, then ship to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia (without going to high for our kids), Chile and Argentina.

We will avoid highways as much as possible, if our timing enables us to.
In terms of équipement, we aim for 2 rooftop tents if no canopy camper is available. A 270 degree awning. 100l clean water and 30l grey water. Optional a heater (air and water) and solar system for recharging cell phones and cooking. Did I forget an essential item?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Anand,

We plan on shipping to Halifax(Canada), go to the west see Vancouver island, then head to the south and visit a couple of US national parks, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Costa Rica to Panama, then ship to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia (without going to high for our kids), Chile and Argentina.

In terms of équipement, we aim for 2 rooftop tents if no canopy camper is available. A 270 degree awning. 100l clean water and 30l grey water. Optional a heater (air and water) and solar system for recharging cell phones and cooking. Did I forget an essential item?
Waw, I've done a big part of South-America when I was much younger: rucksack, public transport or hitch hiking. 1984, one and a half year.
Height should not be a problem neither for you neither for the kids if you "climb" slowly. Say: take 10 days to go from Lima to Titicaca lake.

I also was in Brasil. Met my ex-wife there, mother of my kids. Brasilians are very communicative and helpful. Very nice country. My favourite countries were Bolivia and Chile.

Later on I lived 3.5 years in Ecuador, two of my kids were born there (presidential elections today). It was very safe then 1987-1990. Much less now.

That's the problem: the situation in Latin America hasn't improved in the last 10 years. Two of my kids tried to go and live in Brasil and came back. More for economical reasons than because of safety issues, but they told me the situation was really bad. Last time I was in Brasil was 2008.

And my only friend I had in Ecuador obtained for himself and his adult children the Hungarian nationality through his mother who was Hungarian, because he wants to have an easy escape plan if necessary.

I will meet him in Hungary beginning of September by the way, where my youngest son lives.

Local time
Reaction score
Waw, I've done a big part of South-America when I was much younger: rucksack, public transport or hitch hiking. 1984, one and a half year.
Height should not be a problem neither for you neither for the kids if you "climb" slowly. Say: take 10 days to go from Lima to Titicaca lake.

I also was in Brasil. Met my ex-wife there, mother of my kids. Brasilians are very communicative and helpful. Very nice country. My favourite countries were Bolivia and Chile.

Later on I lived 3.5 years in Ecuador, two of my kids were born there (presidential elections today). It was very safe then 1987-1990. Much less now.

That's the problem: the situation in Latin America hasn't improved in the last 10 years. Two of my kids tried to go and live in Brasil and came back. More for economical reasons than because of safety issues, but they told me the situation was really bad. Last time I was in Brasil was 2008.

And my only friend I had in Ecuador obtained for himself and his adult children the Hungarian nationality through his mother who was Hungarian, because he wants to have an easy escape plan if necessary.

I will meet him in Hungary beginning of September by the way, where my youngest son lives.
What a life! We will be keeping an eye on the situation in South America of course and modify our planned route accordingly anyways. In my company I have 3 Ecuadorian employees and one went back for 2 months this year. I wonder what she has to tell me about her experience.
Brazil was not on our route, but we absolutely want to visit Chile (as this was our planned honeymoon which got cancelled at the very last moment) 😉

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Anand,

Wonderful route! Of course, South of the US border has lots of myth and legend and a little bit of truth in regards to safety.

Fitting of two RTTs may be tough, but again, depends entirely on size of tents and what rack platform you have.

Fitting of 130L of water does seem problematic (for either vehicle).

Bottom line, if you feel that you will need (or want) support in the event that something fails, the Toyota will give you that and the Ineos will not necessarily South of the US (until sometime next year).

Which ever vehicle you chose, the adventure and experience will be amazing!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
Depends on your appetite for adventure I guess. Significantly more potential for “adventure” in the Grenadier at this stage. Much as I want to say take the Grenadier, I think to be honest it may be a couple of years too early, both for the car and the infrastructure at the moment. But if you have the means and patience to deal with potential issues and wait for parts and help if required then go for it. It may even make the stories you tell your grandchildren even better.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sounds great! We will be over there next year for a similar duration/itinerary so do share your socials.

Priority number one is to have a solution teed up to get parts to you if you break down somewhere remote.
This need not be in the region in question, acknowledging that one might encounter delays etc.

In our experience, it’s less about the car than ones appetite and adaptability in the face of problems… which may be over a range of issues beyond the servicing requirements of the vehicle.

For us this means taking the car we want which on this expedition will be the Grenadier.

Everything breaks at some point, particularly if you are beating it in deserts or jungles. The rescue-yourself/one-car-against-the-world mythos of the ‘70s is largely gone. If it breaks, in most cases you can fly in a bit then fix it. There just might be a wait.

Enjoy the planning process!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The rescue-yourself/one-car-against-the-world mythos of the ‘70s is largely gone. If it breaks, in most cases you can fly in a bit then fix it. There just might be a wait.

Enjoy the planning process!
I think this is important to remember... Virtually everywhere in the world has paved roads, and even remote villages have cell service (and literally anyone in the world is one quick inReach or Spot satellite message away from anywhere)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is important to remember... Virtually everywhere in the world has paved roads, and even remote villages have cell service (and literally anyone in the world is one quick inReach or Spot satellite message away from anywhere)
Correct, bleak but true. One really needs to seek isolated locations, or be travelling in insecure locales.

With a family of four along, one presumes the OP will have a modest appetite for risk and likely remain in proximity to established supply chains, if only for reasons of medevac etc.

Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
That is a awesome trip you are planning! :)
Do keep us up to date with what you are going with!

Side note: not sure if you have seen the series Long Way Up but highly recommend it.
They use prototypoe electric Harleys and Rivians R1T.
It gives a bit of an idea of what they prepared when doing it with prototype electric vehicles which is way more troublesome then a normal ICE vehicle.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That is a awesome trip you are planning! :)
Do keep us up to date with what you are going with!

Side note: not sure if you have seen the series Long Way Up but highly recommend it.
They use prototypoe electric Harleys and Rivians R1T.
It gives a bit of an idea of what they prepared when doing it with prototype electric vehicles which is way more troublesome then a normal ICE vehicle.
Great show, and great series in fact, Long way round, ling way down and long way up.

Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Great show, and great series in fact, Long way round, ling way down and long way up.
Yes agree loved all of them :) (to be honest like the first ones more, I think the electric on the HD were a bit too limiting to go really crazy)
Hope there are more coming like long way diagonal or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom