The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

First 12 hours, two drives and 140 miles Impressions

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Had a great handover at Red Noland with Rick Dymek and his whole crew inside the garage and in the office.

Just some first impressions, in no partuicular order. Some may sound like complaints, but more along the lines of 'that's odd'. One problem, and one issue that I need to figure out so far.

The shift to neutral for a car wash is bizzare. I forgot to ask why it would be a safety feature. For a drive/drag through car wash, you put the car in nuetral and it is dragged through the washer. The IG for some reason, when you put it into N, after a set time it will shift to P by itself. Don't know if all recent BMWs do it, but there is some procedure to disable it. I'll just hand or wand wash.
There is no passenger side lock/unlock button on the door, even though there is a panel? The drivers side is the only lock/unlock? Just odd.
The lack of vanity mirror on the passenger side is just odd. Surprised there isn't a Playboy picture there to confirm that a chick didn't help design the interior.
The lack of Homelink is really odd. That is where the drew the line on cost? I thought that was going to change for the US spec models.
Loud wind noise at 70MPH from that vertical windshield and exposed wipers.
And the stero does a good job of masking it :)

Rear seat passengers appreciated the views and the headroom. They were surprised at the noise level, with a rolling softop Jeep being the closest comparison versus other full body SUVs. Also complained about vibrations and bounciness. Not sure, going to look into it further. I have a seperate thread. This was only one of two complaints.
The other complaint was the sticking the the passenger rear door button. Sticks and the door won't lock closed. Molesting the button gets it to pop out. Known issue, checking with dealer to see if it had been addressed on mine.
The rear cargo area got accolades for the amount of space. The doors were liked.
I didn't get the steps or sliders yet- and you(I) really need them. It's just a bit too tall to get into easily, but i'm all torso with a 29inch inseam. The rear seats are a bit higher. Definately needs some kind of step even with standard tires.
Drove it a farily heavy snow storm home from dinner. The standard beams aren't that bright, but the brights are very good.
The first comment I got was when I parked at The Bee Restaurant at the Broadmoor for lunch directly after the pick-up. I had walked away and I was taking some picks. A lady walking by said, "Someone left their lights on....". They went out as a fumbled with the FOB.
Need to find the honk to confirm locking. Also, the keys lock and un-lock icons are too similar.
For all the comments on steering and 'centering' I didn't see any of it, that I didn't expect from a 4x4. Turning radius is large, but so is my 23 4Runner. Stearing feel and 'wander' is probably better than a 21 JKL.

My wife doesn't like the car, but like the wife in "A Christmas Story" and the 'Leg Lamp', I think she knows enough to keep her pie hole shut and I'll eventually be easier to deal with. She thinks its my mid life crisis car, so she's giving me a lot of rope. She thinks it will be gone in 2-3 years.

Still positive on it. The basics (outside of the rear seat passenger comments) are great. Plenty of power up to 7300 feet. That drive up I-25 can get nutty. I ended up at 91mph at one point. 7,000 feet and 90mph is usually Cessna territory... Tried to keep it variable and under 75 for most of the trip for engine break in (is any necessary?)

ETA:
Onthe key issue, I think the major issue is that the key hole is angled, so you have to insert the key at an angle. Frankly, change the key 'stick' so that when you hold the key straight up, the key is turned to the angle of the key slot. Your body is made to hold something upright, not at some random angle.

Also, some aux power gidget squeals when you are in park or moving every slowly and press the brake or turn the wheel. Not horrible, but sounds cheap.

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had a great handover at Red Noland with Rick Dymek and his whole crew inside the garage and in the office.

Just some first impressions, in no partuicular order. Some may sound like complaints, but more along the lines of 'that's odd'. One problem, and one issue that I need to figure out so far.

The shift to neutral for a car wash is bizzare. I forgot to ask why it would be a safety feature. For a drive/drag through car wash, you put the car in nuetral and it is dragged through the washer. The IG for some reason, when you put it into N, after a set time it will shift to P by itself. Don't know if all recent BMWs do it, but there is some procedure to disable it. I'll just hand or wand wash.
There is no passenger side lock/unlock button on the door, even though there is a panel? The drivers side is the only lock/unlock? Just odd.
The lack of vanity mirror on the passenger side is just odd. Surprised there isn't a Playboy picture there to confirm that a chick didn't help design the interior.
The lack of Homelink is really odd. That is where the drew the line on cost? I thought that was going to change for the US spec models.

Rear seat passengers appreciated the views and the headroom. They were surprised at the noise level, with a rolling softop Jeep being the closest comparison versus other full body SUVs. Also complained about vibrations and bounciness. Not sure, going to look into it further. I have a seperate thread. This was only one of two complaints.
The other complaint was the sticking the the passenger rear door button. Sticks and the door won't lock closed. Molesting the button gets it to pop out. Known issue, checking with dealer to see if it had been addressed on mine.
The rear cargo area got accolades for the amount of space. The doors were liked.
I didn't get the steps or sliders yet- and you(I) really need them. It's just a bit too tall to get into easily, but i'm all torso with a 29inch inseam. The rear seats are a bit higher. Definately needs some kind of step even with standard tires.
Drove it a farily heavy snow storm home from dinner. The standard beams aren't that bright, but the brights are very good.
The first comment I got was when I parked at The Bee Restaurant at the Broadmoor for lunch directly after the pick-up. I had walked away and I was taking some picks. A lady walking by said, "Someone left their lights on....". They went out as a fumbled with the FOB.
Need to find the honk to confirm locking. Also, the keys lock and un-lock icons are too similar.
For all the comments on steering and 'centering' I didn't see any of it, that I didn't expect from a 4x4. Turning radius is large, but so is my 23 4Runner. Stearing feel and 'wander' is probably better than a 21 JKL.

My wife doesn't like the car, but like the wife in "A Christmas Story" and the 'Leg Lamp', I think she knows enough to keep her pie hole shut and I'll eventually be easier to deal with. She thinks its my mid life crisis car, so she's giving me a lot of rope. She thinks it will be gone in 2-3 years.

Still positive on it. The basics (outside of the rear seat passenger comments) are great. Plenty of power up to 7300 feet. That drive up I-25 can get nutty. I ended up at 91mph at one point. 7,000 feet and 90mph is usually Cessna territory... Tried to keep it variable and under 75 for most of the trip for engine break in (is any necessary?)
Congratulations! Yes, I can confirm the issues you mentioned. They don't bother me personally, but I understand if other people see it differently.
I think once you've ridden it for a few days, things will be put into perspective and many positive impressions will be added. It'll be fine.

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Agree it is a bit loud over 70 mph. Stereo is good. Playing with the information system is like playing with a 80s computer. I have a VW Atlas so I was well trained into weirdly designed IUs. :)

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree it is a bit loud over 70 mph. Stereo is good. Playing with the information system is like playing with a 80s computer. I have a VW Atlas so I was well trained into weirdly designed IUs. :)
Interesting comparison! If you can find a suitable adapter cable, you might be able to connect the datasette from the C64 to the USB C socket. And then maybe the Summer/Winter Olympics game will be on it. ;)

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting comparison! If you can find a suitable adapter cable, you might be able to connect the datasette from the C64 to the USB C socket. And then maybe the Summer/Winter Olympics game will be on it. ;)
I see you are in Deutschland, so it makes sense you got the C64 reference! :cool:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see you are in Deutschland, so it makes sense you got the C64 reference! :cool:
What does this have to do with Germany? Did it only exist in the USA and Germany? I didn't have one myself, but my mate did.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The neutral Is a zf thing in European cars. Ever since the star trek guy was run over and killed by his car. he put it in neutral and got out to grab something. Anyways, now when the car goes in to neutral and you open the door it will go in park. Other cars with go into park if you start rolling.

The lack of lock is also a European feature versus here in the US where most cars have them on both sides. Normally the European cars imported here will have both locks installed.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Beachhead is still one of my favorite games!

edit - I forgot about Montezuma's Revenge!!! Another classic we had for our 64.

Last edited:

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score

Well. At least you didn't mention ADAS!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
The lack of a vanity mirror on the passenger side tells me why your wife doesn't like the vehcile.
My wife OTOH couldn't give a toss!
Jim Ratcliffe insisted "no vanity mirror"
You can get an etsy aftermarket strap on.

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What does this have to do with Germany? Did it only exist in the USA and Germany? I didn't have one myself, but my mate did.
The biggest fan base for C64 outside the US has always been in Germany -- today even most fan websites are run by German guys.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
C64, Zaxxon FTW…. Was explaining to my kids how we used to get Byte? Magazine that would have the programs that you could type in. And they always had corrections the next month to actually make it work. And saving programs on audio cassette, wishing for a floppy drive.

I went to the hardware store and collected two different crowds of people asking about it. And the defender driver did a double take as he passed me going by the other way.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score

Nice quick overview 👍

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Really impressed with the on-road/highway performance so far. Not saying it is fast, or that it is nimble- but it is fast ‘enough’ and I think the 8speed and the fact that BMW engines actually make the power they claim. It keeps a lane fine. Handles roundabout OK. It just works.

The rear passenger door button still sticks. If after opening you ‘wipe’ or ‘roll’ your thumb forward it releases- at least for now. Chris at Nolan responded same day to my email asking about it. Filled him in and he said the service guy would call.

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
C64, Zaxxon FTW…. Was explaining to my kids how we used to get Byte? Magazine that would have the programs that you could type in. And they always had corrections the next month to actually make it work. And saving programs on audio cassette, wishing for a floppy drive.

I went to the hardware store and collected two different crowds of people asking about it. And the defender driver did a double take as he passed me going by the other way.
I still have my entire collection of Compute! magazines... 😎

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here was an odd one. Got home in the dark, pull up the garage, family gets out and opens the garage door, I look to back-up and in the rear view mirror, the back windows are reflecting a perfect image of the people in the garage. The rear windows are almost a perfect mirror when there is darkness behind it. Also, because the rear window is being reflected in the rear view mirror, it is a ‘correct’ image. Never have seen this in any other car? I think it must be because the rear windows are perfectly up-right, while most glass, even in SUVs, have some kind of bend or angle to it.

Back
Top Bottom