The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

"False" Battery Percentage displayed!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
I have the dual battery installation (Trialmaster).

Since ownership the battery % has never shown more than 75%. I disconnected both batteries a couple of months ago and the percentage then jumped to 92%. This situation only lasted a few days before reverting to 69%.

Now percentage shows 69%. From the above, it would appear that this is a false read out.

Are there any solutions or should I just accept the fact that the readout is bollocks?

NB: If the car does a DPF Regen the percentage drops to
0%.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
@Trialmaster yes, it´s „funny“ information. I was for 3 days on camping. Fridge runs, some electronic devices charged, battery dropped down with my two separate battery monitors measured to 34% Starter and 47% Aux. Battery. Info Display of Ineos 57%. Car start without any problems. Driven 300km motorway, go to fillingstation (14.6 l/100 km on 600km trip with Soft RTT and full loaded) Battery status at Ineos 0%, my status monitor both 100%. Car started and drive normal without any alarm, instead of red 0% for battery. Arrived home, switched of…..10 min later, status Ineos Battery monitor 82%…..It looks not like a reliable sensor.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Trialmaster yes, it´s „funny“ information. I was for 3 days on camping. Fridge runs, some electronic devices charged, battery dropped down with my two separate battery monitors measured to 34% Starter and 47% Aux. Battery. Info Display of Ineos 57%. Car start without any problems. Driven 300km motorway, go to fillingstation (14.6 l/100 km on 600km trip with Soft RTT and full loaded) Battery status at Ineos 0%, my status monitor both 100%. Car started and drive normal without any alarm, instead of red 0% for battery. Arrived home, switched of…..10 min later, status Ineos Battery monitor 82%…..It looks not like a reliable sensor.
I’ve had the same. 0% battery charge shown on screen but everything runs and starts ok.
Sensors or software are the issue I guess

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
I’ve had the same. 0% battery charge shown on screen but everything runs and starts ok.
Sensors or software are the issue I guess
I have had 0% SOC a couple of times upon start up, it normally corrects itself within a minute or two of driving.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
No revelations here, had the red 0% three or four times on start up. Tends to correct itself after restart and then goes back to normal SOC, which dependant on how much I have driven it is about 85-95%.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Personally, after having one year my car, and more than 30000km AND for the first time of my life really interested in understanding my battery monitoring system (BMS), I am not too worried about the percentage SOC (State of Charge), because it is evident this is some kind of calculation.

I don't remember having had 0%, but I was sometimes quite low and the car started. Usually I am around 80%. Sometimes, when driving on normal roads in hills or mountains I saw a SOC as high as 99% (never saw 100%).

I hope the calculation method of the Ineos BMS is better than the method of my Chinese battery spies, because Ineos can take into account more parameters like temperature, current (Ampère), Voltage (of course!) ,and perhaps some more parameters, while my Chinese system is probably only based on Voltage. and battery type.

Several websites explain the SOC calculation, this one is quite simple:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment of you all.

My vehicle has its annual service tomorrow and wondered if it is an issue I should pursue?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, ( in my case) whether it is the BMS or the battery - single.
When I collected my vehicle 5 months ago the on board SOC monitor was 50%. Ok it has been stop started and shunted about for build and pre delivery transport. After I drove it home 40 miles it got it up to 80%. Driving it for the first 4 months got it averaging 80 - 85% at best and no further. Now the last month, hot weather and longer journeys it now averages 95%, had it at 99% but never 100. To me it seems like the battery is recovering to its normal performance after a period of storage prior to installation and use in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm no so sure, ( in my case) whether it is the BMS or the battery - single.
When I collected my vehicle 5 months ago the on board SOC monitor was 50%. Ok it has been stop started and shunted about for build and pre delivery transport. After I drove it home 40 miles it got it up to 80%. Driving it for the first 4 months got it averaging 80 - 85% at best and no further. Now the last month, hot weather and longer journeys it now averages 95%, had it at 99% but never 100. To me it seems like the battery is recovering to its normal performance after a period of storage prior to installation and use in the vehicle.
I agree with these finding. The battery temperature is also is a factor to consider.

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My agent said he would raise it with Ineos, but he thought little could be done.
I’ve similar fact pattern. Dual battery setup, one year old, SOC never higher than 79%. Agent check condition of both batteries and everything was fine. I regularly charge my battery and it never goes above 79%. Suspect faulty Ineos sensor somewhere.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonsoir,
Il suffit de connecter le répartiteur CTEK conformément aux prescriptions du fabricant. Depuis que j'ai effectué la modification de cablâge, la batterie se recharge à 100 % en quelques dizaines de km.

1716311204786.jpg

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve similar fact pattern. Dual battery setup, one year old, SOC never higher than 79%. Agent check condition of both batteries and everything was fine. I regularly charge my battery and it never goes above 79%. Suspect faulty Ineos sensor somewhere.
Get the dealer to do a hard reset using their diagnostic software. It worked for me, It’s a software issue.

Back
Top Bottom