The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK Battery charger MXS 5.0

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
I bought a CTEK Battery charger MXS 5.0 and tested it between yesterday afternoon and today. And I used my Chinese battery Monitoring II spy.
I connected the CTEK to the “under hood” positive pole and earth connector. I have to admit my picture could have been better:
20230827_085552.jpg

I brought the current extension under the car, so that I could close the hood (bonnet) and lock my car. It rained this night, and my car is in the garden.
I started the CTEK battery charger at 14h45 yesterday, at a moment that my battery was indicating 60% and about 12.4 Volt.

The phases of the battery charger are as follows (RECOND not applicable for normal lead acid batteries).
Battery charging with CTEK MXS 5.0.png

First graph is yesterday and in fact it jumped almost immediately to phase 3 of the charging process (14:45).
Screenshot_20230827_155015_Battery Monitor.jpg
The three “peak down spikes” are moments that I had to open the doors of my car, and are therefore not related tot he charger.

The second graph is this night, morning and afternoon. I disconnected in the “float phase” (13.6 Volt according tot he manual, 13.7 to 13.8 ripple according tot he battery monitor) around 9:00 this morning. Spike down at 9:00 is again opening the doors of the car (had to open the hood).
I guess the spike down at 3:00 in the morning is phase 5, where it checks if the battery can hold 12V: this lasts not more than 3 minutes!
Screenshot_20230827_154939_Battery Monitor.jpg
The rest of the graph (after 9:00) is after disconnecting the charger. The voltage drops to 13.1 Volt and stays there.

Nice little device this CTEK MXS 5.0 and easy to use! (Thanks to an advice of @DCPU).

Tomorrow my car goes to the dealer for some “repairs”. Please wish me good luck! I will also ask some questions to my dealer, I need also luck for this: answering my questions isn't their favourite activity.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
What would you not like to spend money on next? 🤑

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i have one Cteck XS 0.8 for my KTM.
can I use my XS 0.8?

did you connect the negative pole to the engine or to the frame?

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
I bought a CTEK Battery charger MXS 5.0 and tested it between yesterday afternoon and today. And I used my Chinese battery Monitoring II spy.
I connected the CTEK to the “under hood” positive pole and earth connector. I have to admit my picture could have been better:
View attachment 7824990

I brought the current extension under the car, so that I could close the hood (bonnet) and lock my car. It rained this night, and my car is in the garden.
I started the CTEK battery charger at 14h45 yesterday, at a moment that my battery was indicating 60% and about 12.4 Volt.

The phases of the battery charger are as follows (RECOND not applicable for normal lead acid batteries).
View attachment 7824991

First graph is yesterday and in fact it jumped almost immediately to phase 3 of the charging process (14:45).
View attachment 7824992
The three “peak down spikes” are moments that I had to open the doors of my car, and are therefore not related tot he charger.

The second graph is this night, morning and afternoon. I disconnected in the “float phase” (13.6 Volt according tot he manual, 13.7 to 13.8 ripple according tot he battery monitor) around 9:00 this morning. Spike down at 9:00 is again opening the doors of the car (had to open the hood).
I guess the spike down at 3:00 in the morning is phase 5, where it checks if the battery can hold 12V: this lasts not more than 3 minutes!
View attachment 7824993
The rest of the graph (after 9:00) is after disconnecting the charger. The voltage drops to 13.1 Volt and stays there.

Nice little device this CTEK MXS 5.0 and easy to use! (Thanks to an advice of @DCPU).

Tomorrow my car goes to the dealer for some “repairs”. Please wish me good luck! I will also ask some questions to my dealer, I need also luck for this: answering my questions isn't their favourite activity.
Hi Jean. Thanks for this. Can I ask if you were having trouble, with normal use, getting the batteries up to or close to 100% charge as per the Ineos display? Did the charger improve things and would you recommend the CTEK unit?

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7824990

View attachment 7824991

View attachment 7824992

View attachment 7824993

Still happy with the charger @Jean Mercier ?
I am atill struggling with losing power parking and plan to head up north again this winter.
So need to make batteries do not leave me stranded without power in the middle of nowhere….

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@das mo If you have to buy one, take one size bigger around 10A , it´s better for the long life of the battery. Moll told me this.
I have the mx 5.0, 2 times used, works. For your travel to „nowhere“ buy a jumpstarter, small, strong with 1000A (like NOCO GB40 …..), it´s an insurance to sleep well.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still happy with the charger @Jean Mercier ?
I am atill struggling with losing power parking and plan to head up north again this winter.
So need to make batteries do not leave me stranded without power in the middle of nowhere….
To be honest I used it only once, because my car never stayed parked longer than 2 or 3 days, and my battery doesn't discharge that fast.
I will have a test next week, because it will stay parked without driving during 5 days next week.

But for travelling, I would also suggest a a NOCO jump starter, as @Lollo050968 suggested. I bought a NOCO GB70, but never needed to use it until now.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
one more vote for the noco .
Had a GB70 for 5-6 years now , jumped a lot of people never had to use it for me .
Anyone buying now check out the GBX series . If i was buying a new one that is what i would go with now .

Back
Top Bottom