The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Extendable roof under roof rack?

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi.

I saw that Front Runner offers a camp table kit that stores a table under the roof rack.
Has someone come across / built a roof that deploys to the back of the car as a rain cover while working / cooking at the boot?
I imagine something pull out rail mounted that deploys a nice shelter between doors quickly.
being able to unlock and pull it out completely for table use would obviously be a bonus.

Thanks for pointing me at existing products / mods.

Greetings

Timo

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi.

I saw that Front Runner offers a camp table kit that stores a table under the roof rack.
Has someone come across / built a roof that deploys to the back of the car as a rain cover while working / cooking at the boot?
I imagine something pull out rail mounted that deploys a nice shelter between doors quickly.
being able to unlock and pull it out completely for table use would obviously be a bonus.

Thanks for pointing me at existing products / mods.

Greetings

Timo
I plan a Bush company 270XT Max awning, which does the same job

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah. Because you have lots of sun. Me travelling northern Europe, I face lots of wind and rain and packing away wet awnings is nothing you want on top of wet tent and all the other wet stuff. =) Pull out some kind of panel that packs away wet with no harm, sounds more convenient in the North.

Local time
Reaction score
Hey Timo,

once had two extendable tent poles attached to the roof rack. They were made of aluminium, of a substantial diameter (28mm?) and could be pulled out for about 1,2m. A 6x3m tarp would fold once and attach to the bars with some strong clamps. The tarp was long enough to be secured on the ground with just a few shovels of sand or earth on it. The tarp would serve different purposes and the poles could easily be taken off.

That was a solution for 50 bucks, the same principle could be applied, if you fancy a high-end setup, I guess.

When travelling in the North or in the cold and you're into roof tents, you might consider a mounting where the tent extends out the back and has the benefit of a "shower room". We once had an Autocamp where that shower room was fixed to the base. You flip up the tent, roll out three sides and there is your enclosed space, pretty weatherproof. With that particular model you could get up and into the tent, without leaving or opening the enclosure. In the cold or in poor weather, that "room" made quite a difference, we used it with a pullout in the back for cooking, washing, getting dressed or just to fiddle around.

Should a roof tent be an option, do not go for a model from South Africa or a copy thereof. They are fine in warm and sunny climates but do not stand up well in the wet over extended periods. If they are not being aired regularly, their "ripstop-canvas" falls apart after just a couple of years.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Timo,

once had two extendable tent poles attached to the roof rack. They were made of aluminium, of a substantial diameter (28mm?) and could be pulled out for about 1,2m. A 6x3m tarp would fold once and attach to the bars with some strong clamps. The tarp was long enough to be secured on the ground with just a few shovels of sand or earth on it. The tarp would serve different purposes and the poles could easily be taken off.

That was a solution for 50 bucks, the same principle could be applied, if you fancy a high-end setup, I guess.

When travelling in the North or in the cold and you're into roof tents, you might consider a mounting where the tent extends out the back and has the benefit of a "shower room". We once had an Autocamp where that shower room was fixed to the base. You flip up the tent, roll out three sides and there is your enclosed space, pretty weatherproof. With that particular model you could get up and into the tent, without leaving or opening the enclosure. In the cold or in poor weather, that "room" made quite a difference, we used it with a pullout in the back for cooking, washing, getting dressed or just to fiddle around.

Should a roof tent be an option, do not go for a model from South Africa or a copy thereof. They are fine in warm and sunny climates but do not stand up well in the wet over extended periods. If they are not being aired regularly, their "ripstop-canvas" falls apart after just a couple of years.
Thanks.

We already own an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 that will go onto the Grenadier.
Will keep your setup in mind and play around with few ideas.

Cheers.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
I quite like the idea of a hard shelter that can be pulled out. I use the tailgate roof on my D4 all the time, provides a bit of shelter for gear and oneself. How I could engineer something that fits under the bars or 3/4 rack I'm not sure. Would definitely not want the bugger rattling away in the wind. Would also need to be deployed/stowed in seconds to make it practical on a daily basis. Will have to give it some thought/googling.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That idea has real possibilities!! A hard shelter which slides out to the rear, with a hinged flap on each side to spill rain runoff. With full extension it could engage with the top of each door as a bracing mechanism... Well that gives me something to exercise my problem solving skills 😀

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If it's raining don't stop to cook.
Drive on to a nice café or coffee shop. Maybe a bakery for a nice gourmet pie or croissant
Add a mochaccino or a nice almond decaf cappuccino
Vegan friendly, gluten free muffin
Maybe some sparkling mineral water.

Local time
Reaction score
Very nice tent, never seen that before..it can't be adapted as described though, maybe a "shower room" to the side ?

I saw a roof rack from Hannibal (or an adaptation) once on a Defender, it had tracks underneath with a table, along the lines you were thinking. The chap who owned it, was not too impressed, the table was dusty and dirty all the time and he used another one from inside the truck for food and and eating. That aside, for shade or shelter, the thing was too small and could not be pulled out and secured so it would form a "roof", like you were thinking.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If it's raining don't stop to cook.
Drive on to a nice café or coffee shop. Maybe a bakery for a nice gourmet pie or croissant
The travel buddy 12v oven works away whilst you keep driving, filling the interior with cafe smells and ready to delight when you decide to stop , well away from the hipsters!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
I love a good pie 😋. Whilst travelling around New Zealand I recall they seem to make pies out of just about anything. 😋😋

Back
Top Bottom