The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

electric brake controller installation

skoller

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
Has any body installed an electric brake controller as yet. If so any details on how you did it, where power was picked up from , cable routes etc

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
Has any body installed an electric brake controller as yet. If so any details on how you did it, where power was picked up from , cable routes etc
I'm using the elecbrakes via a 13 pin euro to 12 pin flat adaptor in conjunction with Elecbrakes 12 pin to 12 pin adaptor. https://www.vanline.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=13 pin&page=4

Works fine but you need to have the headlights on so the brake controller receives adequate power to brake effectively. The downside with multiple adaptors is it gets quite long and you need to manage it from scrapping tarmac whilst driving. If only Elecbrakes would make a 12 pin to 13 pin euro adaptor that would plug directly into the Grenadier. That would negate the need for the Vanline 13 pin euro to 12 pin adaptor and simplify the whole.

NOTE: For those who don't already have an elecbrakes controller, you can buy an in-car plug and play Elecbrakes controller specifically designed for the Grenadier.
I spoke with Elecbrakes and this available as an entire unit that is different to there standard brake controller. That is you cannot buy the Elecbrakes - Ineos 13 pin adaptor to retro fit an existing Elecbrakes unit you may already have .....bugger!

Vote:
Upvote 0

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Some info here.. https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/brake-controller-pigtail.12410715/ and in other areas I suspect. I picked up power from an unused fuse in the large fuse box with a lid near the starter battery - 60 amp from memory and then ran this to the 30amp self resetting fuse of the brake controller that I mounted on the cars own bracket near the aux battery. Controller knob was installed between the gear levers. Pics in the thread.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've just finished my install and it was a job that did my head in!

I used the Ineos EBDK-030 kit instructions but found that it did not work for me. I had to switch 4 pins in the 13 pin socket to get it to work.

Given the amount of time I spent on the job I would just take it to a auto sparky and be done with it. On the other hand. I know that the job has been done properly and no wires have been hacked into. I've posted the instructions in another thread.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Mick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just picked up my car from the Ignition Car Centre Stafford Brisbane where they have just finished installing the Ineos approved tow pro. Also a 30 amp and a 50 amp Anderson plug and converted the 13 pin round to a 12 pin flat about $2000 first one I haven't done myself.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
Very likely I will go this route. $1000, DIY.
https://www.elecbrakes.com/
It's a times like this I'm glad the UK and EU stuck with overrun brakes.
Cheap, easy to maintain, no additional circuits to be added, any vehicle with a tow bar can interchange without and mods, and power failure proof.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Cheap, easy to maintain, no additional circuits to be added, any vehicle with a tow bar can interchange without and mods, and power failure proof.
How much do your caravans weigh?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How much do your caravans weigh?
Domestic caravans (exclude off road trailers ) circa 1800-2000kg loaded. Mostly by the average car and a few SUVs. Loaded horse trailers 2 horses circa 2000kg, towed usually by 4x4 cars and pickups. Loaded cattle/sheep trailers circa 3500kg usually towed by farmers pickups and 4x4s. The legal limit for overrun brakes is 3500kg, which tied in with our driving licence laws.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Domestic caravans (exclude off road trailers ) circa 1800-2000kg loaded. Mostly by the average car and a few SUVs. Loaded horse trailers 2 horses circa 2000kg, towed usually by 4x4 cars and pickups. Loaded cattle/sheep trailers circa 3500kg usually towed by farmers pickups and 4x4s. The legal limit for overrun brakes is 3500kg, which tied in with our driving licence laws.
Do you think electric barkes may be more effective (adjustable etc)?
I had mechanical brakes on my boat trailer and they were very 19th century!

Vote:
Upvote 0

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you think electric barkes may be more effective (adjustable etc)?
I had mechanical brakes on my boat trailer and they were very 19th century!
I've towed with overrun brakes for 55 years and TBH I've never had a problem, and for the most of the time now I use a big 4x4. In my early years when towing a boat or caravan it was with a car and suppose I was more cautious. Now it is more heavy loads at 3500kg hence 4x4. The biggest issue with any brakes is neglect but that revolves around the actual drum pads and mechanism, which applies to electric brakes as well I suppose. I suppose it comes down to what we have been brought up and used to. If I had been using electric brakes I would no doubt swear by them, now they just see a extra hassle.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
In Australia , any trailer over 2000kg is required to have electric brakes.
I guess we have more kangaroos to stop for?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In Australia , any trailer over 2000kg is required to have electric brakes.
I guess we have more kangaroos to stop for?
What is required on <2000kg then, is there a choice of options and what is the minimum for not requiring brakes. In UK <750kg trailers are not braked. These tend to be the high risk "Joe public" making an annual overloaded non maintained trailer on a refuse tip run with a small car.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
What is required on <2000kg then, is there a choice of options and what is the minimum for not requiring brakes. In UK <750kg trailers are not braked.
Mechanical/hydraulic if >750kg <2000kg

Vote:
Upvote 0

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I looked at this and decided that there was no way I wanted to rely on my phone or an expensive remote control for the manual override function. In an off road scenario where emergency or override barking is required I prefer a button (Redarc) or lever (Tekonsha). I have a Tekonsha that I could have moved over to the IG but lack of space made me buy a new Redarc.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score

The my24 vehicles have the provision for a brake controller, or at least the fuses are identified.

Vote:
Upvote 0

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score

The my24 vehicles have the provision for a brake controller, or at least the fuses are identified.
Curious if that's all MY24, or just NAS

Vote:
Upvote 0

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

The screenshot of the mY24 fuse box you posted looks the same as the fuse box on my MY23?

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom