The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

DPF burn

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
I was talkng with a mate of mine about vehicles and he mentioned that he was a little concernd about the DPF burns in diesel engines especialy as we have just had a catostrophic fire danger day recently ( a bush fire did start resulting in the loss of about 35 houses and hundreds of live stock) . He has just takn delivery of a toyota hilux that he uses as a work vehicle mostly in rural areas and that the DPF burns every couple of hundred ks .I have no indication of a DPF burn on my grenadier after 800 odd ks , is there an indicator light when this is happening as living in a rural area and on a property where it is often parked on dry grass it would be good to know if I am a fire hazard
No indication, just a tremendous noise as though fans are on full speed. This seems to occur or at least become very noticeable, upon switching off the engine.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Recently when travelling back to Melbourne from Narooma we stopped in Bruthen, its a small country town used by many drivers as a rest stop. Was a 35 degree day, had just done a 4.5 hour stint and the Grenadier must have been part way through a burn. We had to stop as I needed a slash and a pie and a Big M, but the cooling fans ran at max velocity the entire time we were away from the car. The whole town was staring and glaring at the ruckus coming from the Grenadier, we skulked back from the bakery and quickly drove back down to a nearby deserted footy oval to park under a tree and finish our lunch in solitude.

You (and everyone around you) will know when its doing a burn, trust me.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So I take it there is no infotainment alert to tell you a burn is taking place? That would be handy so you could elect to continue driving for a period of time to let it finish the cycle. In fact I would have thought that plain common sense.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like the embarassment when your dog spends too long taking a dump in public!
And you've forgotten the bag.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I take it there is no infotainment alert to tell you a burn is taking place? That would be handy so you could elect to continue driving for a period of time to let it finish the cycle. In fact I would have thought that plain common sense.
There are no indicators that a burn is about to start or is in progress. It's fairly apparent when its happening; loud fan noise, increased engine temp on the offoad page. Once a burn starts it cannot be interrupted even if you turn off the vehicle. I'm looking forward to more Euro 6 compliant vehicles on Australian roads so its not just Grenadier owners getting filthy looks.

I would like to see the control logic changed so the driver gets a pre-burn advisory light and can defer the burn for a set period via a cancel button if the burn should not proceed at that time. Like it's midnight and you've just pulled into your garage, or you're traversing long dry grass and the extra heat under the vehicle is a fire risk.

Does Offroad Mode affect DPF burn operation?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are no indicators that a burn is about to start or is in progress. It's fairly apparent when its happening; loud fan noise, increased engine temp on the offoad page. Once a burn starts it cannot be interrupted even if you turn off the vehicle. I'm looking forward to more Euro 6 compliant vehicles on Australian roads so its not just Grenadier owners getting filthy looks.

I would like to see the control logic changed so the driver gets a pre-burn advisory light and can defer the burn for a set period via a cancel button if the burn should not proceed at that time. Like it's midnight and you've just pulled into your garage, or you're traversing long dry grass and the extra heat under the vehicle is a fire risk.

Does Offroad Mode affect DPF burn operation?

I thought I’d read that OR mode stopped it, or maybe wading mode. Makes sense for offroad mode to stop it.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just come home at 2am in a small village and my car is absolutely roaring outside. It’s just embarrassing when neighbours are looking WTF is going on with that truck.

I’ve spoke to my dealers and every time they say it’s normal. Has anyone brought it up with INEOS because I might reject my car. It’s the final straw. Apart from this, I also have a list of things to be fixed on it. This and the power steering squeal surely can’t be that loud!!!! I have had 2 BMW X5 diesels before and they were smooth drives.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just come home at 2am in a small village and my car is absolutely roaring outside. It’s just embarrassing when neighbours are looking WTF is going on with that truck.

I’ve spoke to my dealers and every time they say it’s normal. Has anyone brought it up with INEOS because I might reject my car. It’s the final straw. Apart from this, I also have a list of things to be fixed on it. This and the power steering squeal surely can’t be that loud!!!! I have had 2 BMW X5 diesels before and they were smooth drives.
Like most manufacturers, Ineos treat 'sameness' as normal, i.e. if all vehicles do it, it's not broken so that makes it normal. Similarly an agent/dealer has nowhere to go with warranty if your vehicle is operating within the bounds of normal because your vehicle is near enough the same as every other vehicle.
But that's not good enough if 'normal' is not acceptable. The dpf burn management is poorly implemented - in my opinion.
I drove a new GWM Cannon X dual cab the other day. Also a Euro 6 diesel engine. It comes with a manual DPF burn button and an operation light. If GWM can do it...

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I know if my Grenadier did a DPF burn in the supermarket car park, they would evacuate the area and call the police, bomb squad, fire brigade and ambulance service. Then my arrest under the terrorist legislation until Ineos confirmed it was "normal". There should be warning stickers on the windows to warn of potential extreme activity so as not to cause panic.

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
Can someone post a video of the dpf regen? I can’t imagine how bad it could be. I have an Audi A3 TDI and it does a burn everyweek or so. Just hear the fans come on full blast for 5 min but its really a non-event. Nothing that would draw attention or annoyance from anybody. The Grenadier must be quite different?

Back
Top Bottom