The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

DPF burn

Ed I

Production/Transit
Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
just a question about DPF burn ,ive traveled 1800ks is now & don’t think it’s had a burn yet,is there a warning message to let you know it’s in progress.I drive other vehicles at work & there’s always a warning,& you can smell& hear it, thanks

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nope, no warning

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
If the burn happens below 60 km/h the car will tell you for sure! It’s a really loud fan noise!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My vehicle runs at 93 degrees normal on the Offroad > Temperature display. During a DPF burn this sits on 100 - 102 degrees. That, plus the screaming fans, are my tell tale signs for a burn.

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
just a question about DPF burn ,ive traveled 1800ks is now & don’t think it’s had a burn yet,is there a warning message to let you know it’s in progress.I drive other vehicles at work & there’s always a warning,& you can smell& hear it, thanks
During your 1800km, your driving "style " may be such that a DPF forced burn may not have been necessary, and you generated enough heat through your normal driving that any deposits have been burnt off naturally. I am surprised that you say that you have driven vehicles with a warning light to tell you it is happening- in all my car ownership I've never come across that. Unless you me heavy plant.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is 2500 miles in and it has run the burn 4 times. Sounds like it's getting set for a vertical take off. Get some bewildered looks in the pub carpark. Though that might not be down to the burn and just my general appearance.

Ed I

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
During your 1800km, your driving "style " may be such that a DPF forced burn may not have been necessary, and you generated enough heat through your normal driving that any deposits have been burnt off naturally. I am surprised that you say that you have driven vehicles with a warning light to tell you it is happening- in all my car ownership I've never come across that. Unless you me heavy plant.
Thanks Eric appreciate your help,at work I drive a 2022 Toyota HiLux duel cab ute,a warning comes up on the dash & you can definitely hear & smell its going through a burn & yes mostly short stop start trips,

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the Scangauge II set up in my Ranger, set up to show Engine temp, Volts, Trans temp and Exhaust temp. Whenever it goes into a burn, volts go up to 14 or so and I can see the exhaust temp climb up to 650 - 700 deg C. When it's done, temps drop back to 230ish and volts drop back to 12.5.

I can see it start and when it's finished. Very handy as I will keep driving if I'm near home and I see it start a burn, I'll let it finish it's cycle.

Scangauge is compatible with BMW so it might work with the Grenadier.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
OK, I’ll show my ignorance😂😂…what’s a DPF burn? I’m assuming it‘s a diesel thing?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a fair question. There's a filter in the diesel engine exhaust line to trap the soot particulates rather than allow the black smoke plume commonly associated with diesel exhausts when power is applied.
The filter has a pressure sensor which detects when the filter needs cleaning.
Some manufacturers use a squirt of raw fuel directly into the filter where it ignites to raise the temp. to several hundred degrees C and burn off the accumulated soot thus restoring the filter. Short stop/start journeys are anathema for most diesel engines. They need extended journeys to reach and maintain optimum operating temps to minimise carbon build-up.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
What is the ignition point of dry grass?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
It's a fair question. There's a filter in the diesel engine exhaust line to trap the soot particulates rather than allow the black smoke plume commonly associated with diesel exhausts when power is applied.
The filter has a pressure sensor which detects when the filter needs cleaning.
Some manufacturers use a squirt of raw fuel directly into the filter where it ignites to raise the temp. to several hundred degrees C and burn off the accumulated soot thus restoring the filter. Short stop/start journeys are anathema for most diesel engines. They need extended journeys to reach and maintain optimum operating temps to minimise carbon build-up.
Thank you for explaining that so well. You also answered another question I always wondered about, regarding why short trips are not great for a modern diesel engine.
I have a diesel RV Sprinter and sometimes we take it for short trips just to put some miles on it, since it sits for extended periods of time.
After reading how that wasn’t good for it, we stopped doing that….as much😂😂. We still go on short trips to sporting events as the “party van”🤪🤣

r75-gespann

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hallo, i Drive the Grenadier for 860 km. The first time for activate the dpf cleaning was at 360 km. I got parking and a fan beguns to work? After 6min the van was quiet. Now at 840 km the van begun to rum after a tour of 45 km. I hope that is normal.... But its a short distance between the cleaning.
Sorry that my english is not very well. Thanks Ludger

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hallo, i Drive the Grenadier for 860 km. The first time for activate the dpf cleaning was at 360 km. I got parking and a fan beguns to work? After 6min the van was quiet. Now at 840 km the van begun to rum after a tour of 45 km. I hope that is normal.... But its a short distance between the cleaning.
I had approximately 3 times a DPF burn, including the Fan soundshow. But this was all in the begining. Let say beneath the first 4000 km. Since than, no burn no more. I still drive mixt distances, just like before. Nothing really changed. Maybe when it’s new, it need to do this a bit often? I don’t know….. Just a feeling.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi r75
My experience and others on here has been similar to yours. I don’t think it is anything to worry about even though I have not heard this on other vehicles.
Do not apologise for your English and good to see you here. 😊

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Perfectly normal behaviour. As you accumulate more km, especially on longer journeys the dpf burn will become less frequent. However, if you drive a lot of short trips where the engine does not have time to reach proper operating temperature, then expect the dpf burn to become more frequent.

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was talkng with a mate of mine about vehicles and he mentioned that he was a little concernd about the DPF burns in diesel engines especialy as we have just had a catostrophic fire danger day recently ( a bush fire did start resulting in the loss of about 35 houses and hundreds of live stock) . He has just takn delivery of a toyota hilux that he uses as a work vehicle mostly in rural areas and that the DPF burns every couple of hundred ks .I have no indication of a DPF burn on my grenadier after 800 odd ks , is there an indicator light when this is happening as living in a rural area and on a property where it is often parked on dry grass it would be good to know if I am a fire hazard

Back
Top Bottom