The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Door Sill Protection

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
Also keep in mind if someone hits /rubs their exposed leg on the sill getting out, they’re likely to lose some bark on the way down. Ouch.
Yes, I put that on the rocksliders on my last car and it did cause a few injuries to unprotected skin

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi, (just posted this also in the German chapter)

I have used this product available at Amazon (at least in Germany):

Worked well for me, is transparent and barely visible but hopefully protecting well.

I cut out the plastic stripes, here are 2 photos, first one is driver side (left hand drive) front, second one is driver side rear:

View attachment 7816472

View attachment 7816473
Hey Christoph. What is the width of the tape you used? I might get some ready to go.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone seen anyone providing door sill protection.

Scuffing of the sills seem to be being brought up quite a bit on Facebook.
You can buy it by the meter or if you have one close, go to a place that does vehicle wrapping and ask for some PPF strip's. I got some for our RAV4 off the net, if you thought the IG had exposed scuff plates....the RAV has acres of it!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried lifting the plastic tread plate?

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
Hey Christoph. What is the width of the tape you used? I might get some ready to go.

From the Amazon page:

UNIVERSELLE PASSFORM: Vorgefertigt für lackierten Einstiege - selbst anpassbar mit Schere 60 cm x 10 cm & 40 cm x 10 cm im passenden 4er Set

==> So the width is 10cm (3,93701 inches)

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, it's held by double-sided tape and is very firmly affixed. I gave up trying and have fettled sill film around/under instead.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I managed to lift a corner on one yesterday. It's pretty strong stuff considering they're just small tabs.

Did you manage to slide an edge of the sill film underneath the outer edge then?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Any photos to share? Any specific directions/how you did it notes to share?
Hi. I don't really have any notes to share. The tape comes in a large roll and I just cut it after wiping down the area with rubbing alcohol. I did get some bubbles, but I don't care enough to pop them with a needle. I aligned the tape with were the rubber protection strips end and pressed firmly downward and they perfectly end at the edge of the body, so no trimming needed.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi. I don't really have any notes to share. The tape comes in a large roll and I just cut it after wiping down the area with rubbing alcohol. I did get some bubbles, but I don't care enough to pop them with a needle. I aligned the tape with were the rubber protection strips end and pressed firmly downward and they perfectly end at the edge of the body, so no trimming needed.
Gotcha. I ordered some 8mil 2” tape so hopefully it works out equally well. Thanks.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:01 PM
Reaction score

Will try this when it arrives tomorrow. XPEL Black Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film​

Christian

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had also thought of something like this, but I'm worried about the seal. I'm looking forward to the result.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
My tint shop also offers XPEL PPF.

I had them do custom length PPF on all 4 door sills to prevent boot scuffing and other paint issues, while my truck was in for tint. They ran the strips as far forward and rear stopping at the more contoured areas where the likelihood of it pulling up was too high.
tempImage9gHl4w.jpg
The installer pulled them off all together, then reapplied them over the PPF sheet. He mentioned he wasn't that impressed with the adhesive from the factory. All 4 have been moved further down than originally mounted, so they are actually more useful now, but do not interfere with any rubber seals.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My tint shop also offers XPEL PPF.

I had them do custom length PPF on all 4 door sills to prevent boot scuffing and other paint issues, while my truck was in for tint. They ran the strips as far forward and rear stopping at the more contoured areas where the likelihood of it pulling up was too high.
View attachment 7838976

The installer pulled them off all together, then reapplied them over the PPF sheet. He mentioned he wasn't that impressed with the adhesive from the factory. All 4 have been moved further down than originally mounted, so they are actually more useful now, but do not interfere with any rubber seals.
That area is begging for an aftermarket solution. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Back
Top Bottom