The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Diesel or Petrol for traveling

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
Well this is good news - and to be expected. I'd have been shocked if - after all the focus on world travel and being tuned for reliability, etc. - that the Grenadier would have needed premium fuel. A minimum requirement for 87 Octane (American system) or 91 Octane (rest of the world) makes sense.
Yes, some qualifiers/explanation added for interest.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
What about the old uk system 2 star 4 star and 5 star? + avgas still has lead in it or Avgas LL low lead. I know a few people who wrecked catalytic converters, when the UK has a fuel shortage 20 years ago.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What about the old uk system 2 star 4 star and 5 star? + avgas still has lead in it or Avgas LL low lead. I know a few people who wrecked catalytic converters, when the UK has a fuel shortage 20 years ago.
Oh, no idea. Google told me this:

Two-star petrol has a minimum octane number of 90, three-star 94, four-star 97 and five-star petrol at least 100 octane.
The British Standard also set limits to the volatility, lead content and other features which control deposit formation, odour and the storage life of petrol.

In this case I understand "octane" is referring to/being measured in RON.

Last edited:
Local time
5:58 PM
Reaction score
Oh, no idea. Google told me this:

Two-star petrol has a minimum octane number of 90, three-star 94, four-star 97 and five-star petrol at least 100 octane.
The British Standard also set limits to the volatility, lead content and other features which control deposit formation, odour and the storage life of petrol.

In this case I understand "octane" is referring to/being measured in RON.

See how civilised the Brits are, on top of the technical requirements, its the only standard that specifies a pleasant odour for petrol...

Local time
Reaction score
Well thanks to all for this. If the Grenadier does take what we describe as 91 in Aus that would be a really big positive for the petrol. Just looking at the prices today. Diesel is 209.9, Unleaded 98 is 202.9, and unleaded 91 is 179.9.

So if it takes the cheap stuff that's roughly 15% less. That goes a long way to compensating for higher usage.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well thanks to all for this. If the Grenadier does take what we describe as 91 in Aus that would be a really big positive for the petrol. Just looking at the prices today. Diesel is 209.9, Unleaded 98 is 202.9, and unleaded 91 is 179.9.

So if it takes the cheap stuff that's roughly 15% less. That goes a long way to compensating for higher usage.
According to NRMA 95 RON gives about 4% better fuel economy than 91 and 98 gives about 3% better than 95
Provided your vehicle is tuned to run on the higher Octane ratings

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Avgas LL low lead
100LL is everything but "low" leaded. We don't talk about µg : It contains 0,56g lead / liter !! :eek:

So with a Cessna 172 @ 35l/h you blow almost 20g of lead out of the exhaust every hour ...

They should name it 100 NSEHL: not so extremly highly leaded.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

This is correct, under normal daily driving conditions and I think the Petrol is actually a fair proposition for many buyers. Towing will fall HEAVILY in favour of the diesel - I am yet to see ever, a similarly powered modern petrol engine that gets anywhere close to a modern diesel variant. In Gold Coast today 91R was $1.65 and Diesel $1.98. Who the heck a lower grade (cheaper) fuel is 30c a litre more is beyond me....

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
Totally different market (esp since we won’t get the choice) but diesel yesterday was $1.40 US more expensive per gallon. It used to be the opposite way just a few years back.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a 540ix Touring,
so i pull my 6 meter long box trailer with about 2.5 t on long distances, more than 400 km.
cruise control at 110 km/h, average fuel consumption 10.5 liters.
engine 3 liter six-cylinder in-line turbo petrol engine with 335 hp

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is correct, under normal daily driving conditions and I think the Petrol is actually a fair proposition for many buyers. Towing will fall HEAVILY in favour of the diesel - I am yet to see ever, a similarly powered modern petrol engine that gets anywhere close to a modern diesel variant. In Gold Coast today 91R was $1.65 and Diesel $1.98. Who the heck a lower grade (cheaper) fuel is 30c a litre more is beyond me....
Diesel is more expensive because it is mainly used in trucks and company vehicles.
That makes it a business expense and tax deductible.

Local time
Reaction score
Totally different market (esp since we won’t get the choice) but diesel yesterday was $1.40 US more expensive per gallon. It used to be the opposite way just a few years back.
Yeah, diesel has been crazy around here too: between $1.00 - $1.50 more per gallon than gas for about a year. I've tried to talk myself into a diesel Gladiator a few times, because it has lots of low end torque, and better fuel economy (you don't get better range because the DEF tank takes away capacity from the fuel tank). But there have been quite a few issues with the 3.0 diesel in the Gladiator: cp4 pump failures, overheating when towing in hot weather, overheating when not towing but fully loaded driving up high mountain passes, and problems with the emissions systems. When you factor in high fuel prices, the benefits of the diesel don't seem to outweigh the costs (at least in the Gladiator).

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, diesel has been crazy around here too: between $1.00 - $1.50 more per gallon than gas for about a year. I've tried to talk myself into a diesel Gladiator a few times, because it has lots of low end torque, and better fuel economy (you don't get better range because the DEF tank takes away capacity from the fuel tank). But there have been quite a few issues with the 3.0 diesel in the Gladiator: cp4 pump failures, overheating when towing in hot weather, overheating when not towing but fully loaded driving up high mountain passes, and problems with the emissions systems. When you factor in high fuel prices, the benefits of the diesel don't seem to outweigh the costs (at least in the Gladiator).
Plus Jeep charges a premium for the Diesel engine (over $4 grand).

Local time
Reaction score
Plus Jeep charges a premium for the Diesel engine (over $4 grand).
Yup, but I guess that's nothing compared to the heavy duty trucks where both Ford and Chevy charge $10,000 more for the diesel!

I'm really surprised that Ineos is selling the diesel and gas engine at the same price. Typically the diesel is more complicated - with all the emissions stuff - so some up-charge seems reasonable.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agreed, it is surprising. Maybe that will help keep the US price in better check.

Local time
Reaction score
Agreed, it is surprising. Maybe that will help keep the US price in better check.
That would be nice. I was wondering if the gas-version in Europe and Australia was priced higher than it should be, in order to subsidize the price of the diesel. Otherwise, how do you sell them at the same price? But I don't know much about these BMW engines - maybe it costs about the same to produce the B58 as it does the B57?

Local time
Reaction score
I have a 540ix Touring,
so i pull my 6 meter long box trailer with about 2.5 t on long distances, more than 400 km.
cruise control at 110 km/h, average fuel consumption 10.5 liters.
engine 3 liter six-cylinder in-line turbo petrol engine with 335 hp
That's fascinating.

Can't wait to see how these cars go in the real world.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's fascinating.

Can't wait to see how these cars go in the real world.
Many of the fuel consumption tests are done in a lab on a "rolling road" according to a set protocol to mimic urban/extra urban conditions. Out on the road the results are usually somewhat different! Once the B57 (for example) is fully run in, then a medium load cruising at 95-105 km/hr on a long trip, I'll wager 8.5-9.5 L/100km or better.... especially when one remembers that drag increases according to the inverse square law...double the speed =4 times the drag... So stow all that superfluous stuff inside rather than on the roof rack....
As a loved teacher once reminded us--often ."It's not complex, it's basic physics! " ;)

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Many of the fuel consumption tests are done in a lab on a "rolling road" according to a set protocol to mimic urban/extra urban conditions. Out on the road the results are usually somewhat different! Once the B57 (for example) is fully run in, then a medium load cruising at 95-105 km/hr on a long trip, I'll wager 8.5-9.5 L/100km or better.... especially when one remembers that drag increases according to the inverse square law...double the speed =4 times the drag... So stow all that superfluous stuff inside rather than on the roof rack....
As a loved teacher once reminded us--often ."It's not complex, it's basic physics! " ;)
Yes.. unfortunately when travelling fully loaded the roof rack is packed high! Believe me if I could fit the stuff in the car I would!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes.. unfortunately when travelling fully loaded the roof rack is packed high! Believe me if I could fit the stuff in the car I would!
Sometimes a simple box trailer is a better solution. I had a galvanised 6x4 box trailer and got hubs made to match my tow vehicle wheels, put a heavy duty axle (steel bar really) on that matched the wheel spacing of my tow vehicle and heavier duty leaf springs and mounted them under the axle instead of on top to give more clearance put a spare wheel carrier on the drawbar. It’s relatively lightweight, not too huge to store at home tucked in a corner of the yard didn’t cost that much to put together (biggest cost was 3 matching wheels and tyres) and it gave me an extra spare, or in an emergency an extra 3 spares if you ditch the trailer. A grenadier wouldn’t even know it was pulling it and with matching wheel spacing it very little extra drag even offroad in samd and wheel ruts.

Back
Top Bottom