The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Diesel or Petrol for traveling

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
I understand the grenadier will be 95 min. So no more of that!
Don't worry , my 2x60s Benzes get 95/98, as do the old Porsches!
The S3 gets 91 so does the old Fiat.
How do I get my brain around this?
Er , it's not that hard really 😄

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have to admit modern diesels concern me:
DPF - burns not completing or starting when you’re near the end of your journey, burns happening when you’re out on desert tracks with spinifex about
Dodgy fuel more of a problem in diesels than petrol - water being a catastrophic issue
Clogged up manifolds
Etc etc

But I’m still going diesel, perhaps because I’m a troglodyte, but also because IA have added two in line filters and a water separator, have added a catch can equivalent, it has more torque to add to towing and offroad performance.

And I’m assured that Ad-Blue (No experience with that) will only need to be added every 10,000km or so and the system will give you about 1,000km of warning.

Time will tell I suppose.

Too many trucks

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Petrol for me, I've had so much agro with modern diesels with dpf's and ad-blu in the UK, mostly as we do for short journeys and the engines just don't get hot enough to burn off the soot on the dpf.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:27 PM
Reaction score
Actually it is 91 min.
Does the UK and Australia use the same rating system? As always, we're doing our own thing over here, so I'm not sure if everyone else is on the same fuel octane rating system.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does the UK and Australia use the same rating system? As always, we're doing our own thing over here, so I'm not sure if everyone else is on the same fuel octane rating system.
I think 91 in Australia is equivalent to 95 in the USA.

That is maybe where Desert Gecko got his number from.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think 91 in Australia is equivalent to 95 in the USA.

That is maybe where Desert Gecko got his number from.
Maybe the other way around? The highest most stations have here is 93 - which is "premium" and a buck and change more per gallon. The wife's Outback and my, sigh, Fit (Jazz) run on the cheap stuff, 89; my Raptor and AT4 needed premium.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe the other way around? The highest most stations have here is 93 - which is "premium" and a buck and change more per gallon. The wife's Outback and my, sigh, Fit (Jazz) run on the cheap stuff, 89; my Raptor and AT4 needed premium.
You are correct. It is the other way round. Our premium is 98.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I found this on a BMW forum just now:

"
"I contacted Shell Australia to determine our (Australian) equivalent octane compared to yours (USA). I received some results that may assist with mapping.

As you most likely know Australia use the RON octane rating and you use AKI.

The conversion is: (RON + MON) / 2 = AKI

In Australia we have two high-end premium grades of fuel available:

• 98 RON
  • 100 RON (includes 5% ethanol)

So, using Shell’s information, I have calculated the following ratings:

Shell V-Power 98: (98 RON + 85 MON) / 2 = 91.5 AKI
Shell V-Power Race 100: (100 RON + 89 MON) / 2 = 94.5 AKI

Note: Shell V-Power 98 is far more available than the V-Power Race 100 octane grade."

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I found this on a BMW forum just now:

"
"I contacted Shell Australia to determine our (Australian) equivalent octane compared to yours (USA). I received some results that may assist with mapping.

As you most likely know Australia use the RON octane rating and you use AKI.

The conversion is: (RON + MON) / 2 = AKI

In Australia we have two high-end premium grades of fuel available:

• 98 RON
  • 100 RON (includes 5% ethanol)

So, using Shell’s information, I have calculated the following ratings:

Shell V-Power 98: (98 RON + 85 MON) / 2 = 91.5 AKI
Shell V-Power Race 100: (100 RON + 89 MON) / 2 = 94.5 AKI

Note: Shell V-Power 98 is far more available than the V-Power Race 100 octane grade."
Ok, what is MON?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today 🤣

Quick Google "The motor octane number (MON) describes the behavior of the fuel in the engine at high temperatures and speeds – a full-throttle range, comparable to driving fast on a highway. This octane number is not generally known to the public, as it is not specified at service stations."

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Today 🤣

Quick Google "The motor octane number (MON) describes the behavior of the fuel in the engine at high temperatures and speeds – a full-throttle range, comparable to driving fast on a highway. This octane number is not generally known to the public, as it is not specified at service stations."
Interesting. Avgas in Australia is (or was) described as octane 100-130. The 100 being the leaned out rating and the 130 being the rich rating. The lead is what pushes up the rating.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've needed premium fuel in a bunch of vehicles - including 04 DII (4.6), two different Civic SIs, my Raptor and 6.2L GMC. I typically use Sunoco because there's one close to home and they give a nice discount if you use their CC.

(from the Interweb): Sunoco is the only major brand to offer 4 grades of gasoline (87 octane regular, 89 octane plus, 91 octane premium, and 93 octane Ultra) - those are the AKI (North American numbers).

Misso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I have to admit modern diesels concern me:
DPF - burns not completing or starting when you’re near the end of your journey, burns happening when you’re out on desert tracks with spinifex about
Dodgy fuel more of a problem in diesels than petrol - water being a catastrophic issue
Clogged up manifolds
Etc etc

But I’m still going diesel, perhaps because I’m a troglodyte, but also because IA have added two in line filters and a water separator, have added a catch can equivalent, it has more torque to add to towing and offroad performance.

And I’m assured that Ad-Blue (No experience with that) will only need to be added every 10,000km or so and the system will give you about 1,000km of warning.

Time will tell I suppose.
I am in exactly the same boat. I own a diesel still and thought very hard about if I want to go down the higher euro restrictive shackles they've conformed to for diesel. If I were planning on towing and doing the lap of Australia, I probably would have gone petrol.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
I understand the grenadier will be 95 min. So no more of that!

I hope not. 87 Octane is incredibly common around the world; there are places you cannot find higher. Requiring 95 Octane would be a miss on a global vehicle - I'm hoping that was a typo and they meant 85!!

Edit: Octane numbers might mean different things geographically so I may have misstated my concern here.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope not. 87 Octane is incredibly common around the world; there are places you cannot find higher. Requiring 95 Octane would be a miss on a global vehicle - I'm hoping that was a typo and they meant 85!!

Edit: Octane numbers might mean different things geographically so I may have misstated my concern here.
I think you have 87 AKI in mind, which is equal (well, not necessarily but typically) to 91 RON - the minimum for the Grenadier.
One presumes the fuel system will be retarding ignition at this octane, hence stating it as a 'minimum'.
Running it on 95 RON is likely to slightly improve reliability, efficiency, and power output due to the higher compression.

Last edited:
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
I think you have 87 AKI in mind, which is 91 RON - the minimum for the Grenadier.
Well this is good news - and to be expected. I'd have been shocked if - after all the focus on world travel and being tuned for reliability, etc. - that the Grenadier would have needed premium fuel. A minimum requirement for 87 Octane (American system) or 91 Octane (rest of the world) makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom