The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cyclists in the Grenadier Community

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
This is what I'm planning in my vehicle...
IMG_1354.JPGIMG_1356.JPG

I got a couple of these quick-release front fork mounts and plan to put them on either side of the rear seat backs. My question is does anyone know anything about the internal structure of the seat backs? I am reluctant to just screw them into the hard plastic seat back and would much prefer if they could screw through to some internal structure. I'm not expecting to be carrying the bike over any rough terrain but even just regular driving could stress the screw and cause them to pull out or crack the plastic.
1696986851704.png

Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
This is what I'm planning in my vehicle...
View attachment 7829333View attachment 7829334

I got a couple of these quick-release front fork mounts and plan to put them on either side of the rear seat backs. My question is does anyone know anything about the internal structure of the seat backs? I am reluctant to just screw them into the hard plastic seat back and would much prefer if they could screw through to some internal structure. I'm not expecting to be carrying the bike over any rough terrain but even just regular driving could stress the screw and cause them to pull out or crack the plastic.
View attachment 7829335
Looks great!

If you have any MTB's or gravel bikes I'd have a play with them too. They tend to be a bit higher although seat droppers can help.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm procrastinating drilling holes into my rear seat back. Has anyone dared to explore the inner world of the rear bench seat? Would it be reasonable to assume the indentations on the seat back indicate the location of an internal steel frame? I would much rather secure the front fork bracket into steel than just plastic.

I might try to pop out the circled plugs and see if that exposes anything useful.

Grenadier Rear Seat Mark-up.jpg

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm procrastinating drilling holes into my rear seat back. Has anyone dared to explore the inner world of the rear bench seat? Would it be reasonable to assume the indentations on the seat back indicate the location of an internal steel frame? I would much rather secure the front fork bracket into steel than just plastic.

I might try to pop out the circled plugs and see if that exposes anything useful.

View attachment 7830784
While it does not answer your question, have you considered putting the bike in the other way around using the approach outlined at https://www.facebook.com/groups/754330368649291/permalink/1449876712427983/.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_6504.jpeg

Been using the excellent single trail racks, made in australia.
VERY strong, and super quick loading, with no shortcuts in steel quality.
likely needs their v4 pivot (roll on loading). Swing arm available, i havent troed it.
can easily hold 4-6 emtb bikes though. Roadbikes like theyre not there…

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Been using the excellent single trail racks, made in australia.
VERY strong, and super quick loading, with no shortcuts in steel quality.
likely needs their v4 pivot (roll on loading). Swing arm available, i havent troed it.
can easily hold 4-6 emtb bikes though. Roadbikes like theyre not there…
Wow, that's nice and snug against the back of the car.
I found this mega vertical bike rack review. Surprising how many are actually manufactured in Brisbane.
View: https://youtu.be/dMP-H-_gX_M?si=2l-8DvwNErO0AwMx

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
I just bought the Shingleback (similar to above) for MTB's... it's a beast.

On my Amarok currently but think it'll need the tow hitch receiver thingy extension to clear the spare of the IG

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7830784
make a timber plate which attaches to the seat back using the plastic push-fitting locations pictured, and then attach your fitting to that?

or maybe you could have a strap - like a softrack for surfboards - that goes round the entire rear seat back, and attach fittings to this?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just bought the Shingleback (similar to above) for MTB's... it's a beast.

On my Amarok currently but think it'll need the tow hitch receiver thingy extension to clear the spare of the IG
Dont mean to rain on your parade, but the shingleback is significantly less robust; its got bent rod vs cold formed steel tube baskets, bungy cord is all that restrains bikes in bumps/crashes, vs a self locking ratchet and 1800kg marine rope fixings, less rigid post, and no self tightening receiver tongue to prevent rattle. Theyre different classes, the single trail is the ducks nuts, the shingleback is a good product at a fair price.

if you are looking, at least check them all out!

ps, sam you are right on the clearance, but mine is 1 generation old. The newer one is, by chance perfect, has another 10mm. Thats the v4 pivot (mine is v3). Or use the swing arm, but that thing is built like a tank, more than i need, its a shuttle offering really.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dont mean to rain on your parade
[here comes the 'but'...]***
but the shingleback is significantly less robust;
I dont disagree, but you pays your money and takes your choice. The ST is a heavy monster with no hope of me even fitting it by myself. This kills it. Also $$$$$. Also i'm in WA - i.e. Tatooine.
bungy cord is all that restrains bikes in bumps/crashes,
Worked very well off-road recently. The general idea - of huge cantilevered loads, twisting within the tow receiver - is fraught, regardless of which rack you buy, so I only intend to use occasionally.
no self tightening receiver tongue to prevent rattle.
It has an anti-rattle clamp.

Ute tray is - by some huge margin - the best solution. A $200 tailgate saver and you're done. 5 bikes, negligible loads, full support to bikes.

Grenadier solution - when not using Shingleback i'm considering bikes onto the roof rack, front wheels removed, using fittings like that shown above

*** joking : )

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
make a timber plate which attaches to the seat back using the plastic push-fitting locations pictured, and then attach your fitting to that?

or maybe you could have a strap - like a softrack for surfboards - that goes round the entire rear seat back, and attach fittings to this?
Yeah, I want to avoid this if possible. If there is a metal frame in there that I can screw the fork mount directly to it will be much neater. It's not going to be taking huge loads. I just don't want the screws to pull out of the plastic over time.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking (assuming) there'd be something non-plastic under the plastic plugs?

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom