The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cost of putting your car on the road ? Insurance, licensing etc

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
I'm curious about the cost in various countries of putting a "car on the road". I read through the "Insurance Thread" and naturally there are many variables to insurance costs, I expect also that are other costs like licensing, road tax etc vary greatly.

So I'm wondering, if you wanted to put a car on the road - maybe a 2nd or 3rd - or you had a car sitting in the weeds and said, "let's put it back on the road" what would you be looking at in terms of cost ? Not original purchase, (EDIT) purchase tax, financing, depreciation, fuel costs etc, just to what to make it legal to use each year.

For me: 10 year old pick up, decent insurance coverage, good claims history, Metro area but pleasure use only ( not everyday commuting to work) ~1,400 CAD. That's about as cheap as I can go.

If I insured it for commuting add say $ 3-400 .

New vehicle like the Grenadier but everything else the same, guessing, I expect ~ 2,500CAD. More if insured for commuting. That should drop as the vehicle ages.

EDIT I see the average cost of car insurance in BC (my province) is reportedly $1,832. Add ~ 200 for annual licensing.

How does that compare to your area ?

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
For a brand new IG, the inital on the road cost in Queensland will be close to A$5.5 - 6K in total.
It comprises
approx $900 for annual Queensland State Registration (6 cyl) which includes a compulsory component for Third Party Property/Injury insurance;
initial Queensland State Stamp Duty will be 3.5% of purchase price (A$100k)= approx A$3,500; and
add approx. another A$1,000 for comprehensive vehicle insurance premium discounted with lifetime max. "no claim bonus"

If the vehicle cost with options exceeds A$100K, Qld State stamp duty increases to 5.5% on total.

The basic unit cost includes the approx A$9k for Federal Govt Goods and Services Tax (GST). i.e. State Governments apply Stamp Duty on Fed Govt's GST! Tax upon a tax...

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
I'm curious about the cost in various countries of putting a "car on the road". I read through the "Insurance Thread" and naturally there are many variables to insurance costs, I expect also that are other costs like licensing, road tax etc vary greatly.

So I'm wondering, if you wanted to put a car on the road - maybe a 2nd or 3rd - or you had a car sitting in the weeds and said, "let's put it back on the road" what would you be looking at in terms of cost ? Not purchase, financing, depreciation, fuel costs etc, just to make it legal to use.

For me: 10 year old pick up, decent insurance coverage, good claims history, Metro area but pleasure use only ( not everyday commuting to work) ~1,400 CAD. That's about as cheap as I can go.

If I insured it for commuting add say $ 3-400 .

New vehicle like the Grenadier but everything else the same, guessing, I expect ~ 2,500CAD. More if insured for commuting. That should drop as the vehicle ages.

EDIT I see the average cost of car insurance in BC (my province) is reportedly $1,832. Add ~ 200 for annual licensing.

How does that compare to your area ?
About $6k in stamp duty, dego and compulsory 3rd party insurance. But then comprehensive insurance on top of that, which could be anywhere from $1500 - $5000

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
About $6k in stamp duty, dego and compulsory 3rd party insurance. But then comprehensive insurance on top of that, which could be anywhere from $1500 - $5000
Your stamp tax is one time thing, is it ? Like a sales tax ?

You might be paying >$ 2,000 every subsequent year ?

Reason I'm curious is l've come across threads where folks in USA have said they pay $400 USD or similar what seems to me low amount for insurance for other vehicles. There's probably other charges but it does have me wondering where my jurisdiction stands.

Of course depends on coverage and compulsory requirements but even so ...

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"Stamp Duty" is a tax. It's called stamp duty because in pre-digital times, when you had paid the relevant levy/tax/duty the Government Tax Officer would paste stamps on your paperwork as evidence that you had paid up. When ownership of a vehicle passes from one owner to another, State Governments levy a tax (stamp duty) on the value of the vehicle. It's a once only cost when assuming ownership. When sold, the next owner pays the tax on the then 'fair price' or the sale price whichever is the higher ("they" don't miss!) :mad:

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The $100,000 threshold that takes your stamp duty from $3,500 to $5,500 really makes you think if you want those $380 carpet mats that push you over that $100,000 so they end up costing you $2,380. Expensive carpet mats.

But as the Stamp Duty only applies to cost at registration, dealer/agent fitted accessories after registration (marked with as "*" in the configurator) are not subject to stamp duty.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The $100,000 threshold that takes your stamp duty from $3,500 to $5,500 really makes you think if you want those $380 carpet mats that push you over that $100,000 so they end up costing you $2,380. Expensive carpet mats.

But as the Stamp Duty only applies to cost at registration, dealer/agent fitted accessories after registration (marked with as "*" in the configurator) are not subject to stamp duty.
Hi Greg, I think you will find that even though the accessories marked as * dealer fitted, they are part of the contract price and appear on the sale invoice. As such they will be included in the stamp duty calcs.
I strived to keep the "needs vs wants" list to below the $100k threshold. For carpets I'm exploring the idea obtaining some cheap heavy duty carpet offcuts and getting them professionally sewn-edged (about $10/linear metre)

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
Your stamp tax is one time thing, is it ? Like a sales tax ?

You might be paying >$ 2,000 every subsequent year ?

Reason I'm curious is l've come across threads where folks in USA have said they pay $400 USD or similar what seems to me low amount for insurance for other vehicles. There's probably other charges but it does have me wondering where my jurisdiction stands.

Of course depends on coverage and compulsory requirements but even so ...
Yes that’s right, it will probably be about $1600-$1700 a year after the first registration which is registration plus compulsory 3rd party insurance, but doesnt include your full comprehensive insurance which is going to be $1500-$5000 after that.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The dealer fitted accessories after registration do not count towards price for stamp duty.
Prior to the price increase it was easy to see in the configurator.
You could be paying $3,499 stamp duty and add as many dealer fitted accessories as you want and whilst the price went up, the stamp duty would stay the same.
In my case I could not squeeze the carpet mats under the threshold and in the end decided I really didn't need them. Ironically they are now classed as a dealer fitted accessory in the new price structure.
If funds were unlimited I wouldn't have worried about it, but as I managed to squeeze in everything I wanted and still stay under the threshold, that was $2,000 I could spend on accessories instead of giving it to the State Government.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
In Germany the tax for the station wagon will be short under 1000 €/year.
Insurance will differ for everybody. I guess a full cover will cost between 700 and 1500 €. It depends on the accident history, the age and other things.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The dealer fitted accessories after registration do not count towards price for stamp duty.
Prior to the price increase it was easy to see in the configurator.
You could be paying $3,499 stamp duty and add as many dealer fitted accessories as you want and whilst the price went up, the stamp duty would stay the same.
In my case I could not squeeze the carpet mats under the threshold and in the end decided I really didn't need them. Ironically they are now classed as a dealer fitted accessory in the new price structure.
If funds were unlimited I wouldn't have worried about it, but as I managed to squeeze in everything I wanted and still stay under the threshold, that was $2,000 I could spend on accessories instead of giving it to the State Government.
Uhmm... I revisited the Qld Gov website because I'd been weighing my options about what I "wanted"as distinct from "What's really needed"
That's why I suggested as per the previous post rather than relying on the configurator... see the following:

"First, you need to work out the dutiable value of your vehicle. This is the list price or market value, depending on whether your vehicle is new, used or modified for a person with a disability.
Duty also applies to optional equipment such as adding tow bars and window tinting or changing tyres and wheel rims.
Then you calculate the registration duty, based on your vehicle's dutiable value, using the rates of duty."

i.e. the total value of the vehicle contract price including options/accessories as per the invoice, excluding registration, dealer delivery fee etc is the "dutiable value"

If you buy the vehicle with some options at a total cost less than $100k, and arrange for the dealer to supply and fit the remaining accessories post registration on a separate invoice then those accessories would be exempt from the stamp duty impost.
good luck!

Last edited:

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
*shrug*
Just stating what the configurator and the total on the road price from the order confimation say. Both calculate stamp duty the same way...

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In Belgium, according to my retailer/dealer I will have to pay a one time registration tax of about 12600 €. (Trialmaster with winch and Safari windows).
On top of this I have an annual tax of 1300€.
I don't know yet for the insurance, but I guess the range will be like the estimation of Bemax above for Germany.

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
For a brand new IG, the inital on the road cost in Queensland will be close to A$5.5 - 6K in total.
It comprises
approx $900 for annual Queensland State Registration (6 cyl) which includes a compulsory component for Third Party Property/Injury insurance;
initial Queensland State Stamp Duty will be 3.5% of purchase price (A$100k)= approx A$3,500; and
add approx. another A$1,000 for comprehensive vehicle insurance premium discounted with lifetime max. "no claim bonus"

If the vehicle cost with options exceeds A$100K, Qld State stamp duty increases to 5.5% on total.

The basic unit cost includes the approx A$9k for Federal Govt Goods and Services Tax (GST). i.e. State Governments apply Stamp Duty on Fed Govt's GST! Tax upon a tax...
In Belgium, according to my retailer/dealer I will have to pay a one time registration tax of about 12600 €. (Trialmaster with winch and Safari windows).
On top of this I have an annual tax of 1300€.
I don't know yet for the insurance, but I guess the range will be like the estimation of Bemax above for Germany.
For comparison in BC there will be 12% combined Federal (for the end consumer) and Provincial tax on the purchase price. Plus if it is over $100,000 there is a newish luxury tax of 20% on the amount over $100,000 - not sure if they'll be an exemption available.

The insurance portion looks to be similar so far (except for Tasmania)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For comparison in BC there will be 12% combined Federal (for the end consumer) and Provincial tax on the purchase price. Plus if it is over $100,000 there is a newish luxury tax of 20% on the amount over $100,000 - not sure if they'll be an exemption available.

The insurance portion looks to be similar so far (except for Tasmania)
The Australian arm of Ineos Automotive was successful in gaining an exemption from Lux Car Tax for the Grenadier (commercial vehicle similar to the existing exemption for the Toyota 70 series), including in part because the GVM was 3,550 kg (50kg over the minimum GVM commercial vehicle criterion). Would expect Ineos Automotive's North American sales and marketing team are already negotiating similarly.

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Would expect Ineos Automotive's North American sales and marketing team are already negotiating similarly.
I wouldn't, not for little ol' Canada anyway.

Looks like here the weight exclusion is 3,856kg (8,500lbs) GVWR or more. Many years ago we had a luxury tax on autos over $32,000 IIRC (yes, I'm that old) but with the same 3,856kg exclusion. So anyone who was going to buy a 3/4 ton pick up (like me) just bought the 1 ton version instead (usually an almost identical truck). 😄

Though there is this, subject vehicle "it is designed or adapted primarily to carry individuals on highways and streets". That would capture the Gren station wagon but perhaps not the commercial version. No indication the latter is planned for North America though.

Anyhoo I'm not overly concerned. An Ineos rep was quoted at the June preview telling the Canadian auto press a customer in this country would be hard pressed to spec out a Gren at $100,000 CAD (currently ~110AUD). And they wouldn't say if it wasn't going to be true, right ?

Edit for spelling

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
In Germany the tax for the station wagon will be short under 1000 €/year.
The number plates are around 35€.
Registration costs is 27€.
Yearly tax for an Utility Grenadier (N1) is around 300 €/yr.
Insurance is in my case between 500 and 600 €/yr. (depends on region, years of accident free driving, age, garage or not, profession and other factors).
Every two years there is the TÜV (technical check) at around 134€.

All of these values increase over time.

BUT: There are proposals by the green and plans in preparation to introduce a registration tax. For the Grenadier it would be around 30'000 Euros. 🤮

Sorry, don't have this in english:

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The number plates are around 35€.
Registration costs is 27€.
Yearly tax for an Utility Grenadier (N1) is around 300 €/yr.
Insurance is in my case between 500 and 600 €/yr. (depends on region, years of accident free driving, age, garage or not, profession and other factors).
Every two years there is the TÜV (technical check) at around 134€.

All of these values increase over time.

BUT: There are proposals by the green and plans in preparation to introduce a registration tax. For the Grenadier it would be around 30'000 Euros. 🤮

Sorry, don't have this in english:

THAT IS RIGHT - 1.000 Euro TAX in Germany for the Diesel - as a car (M1). BUT WHEN you take the Utility (in my case the 2-seater) and take it as a TRUCK (N1), then the tax is 200 Euro (per year). It seems like we have to hurry to bring our INEOS on the road, before these mad guys make it impossible. I think they want to kill our car industry, too. I do not think that we are on a good way for germany, and we are not on a good way for the people here. Really bad times are coming.
BUT I WILL HAVE MY GRENADIER TO DRIVE THROUGH IT. :cool:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Really bad times are coming.
Times are changing, bad times, good times, wars, peace, hunger, floods, new rules and laws, ... the world isn't perfect.
We (you, me, USA, Australia, ...) are still "globally" living in a wealthy period.

Not everybody has that luck! Even in our own countries!

Back
Top Bottom