The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CARWOW - Jeep v Defender v Grenadier

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
l think all three vehicles performed very well.
It's not a fair comparison though, unless they are all on the same tyres.

For instance Defenders come as standard with what are effectively road tyres.

Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier is definitely more of a "proper" 4x4 than the Defender (and l say this as the owner of a new Defender)

However the Defender is highly competent off road when suitable tyres are fitted. Not that most owners will ever find that out.

l certainly have, which is why l've fitted the optional Goodyear Wranglers to mine.

image.jpg

Last edited:

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier is definitely more of a "proper" 4x4 than the Defender (and l say this as the owner of a new Defender)

However the Defender is highly competent off road when suitable tyres are fitted. Not that most owners will ever find that out.

l certainly have, which is why l've fitted the Goodyear Wranglers to mine.

View attachment 7854173

Didn't love those on my former Tacoma but they sure beat whatever tire I see most new Defenders with stock, that's for sure.

Local time
Reaction score
There are probably better A/T tyres.

But they were cheap. £550 (around $700) for five brand new tyres on new steel rims. Delivery mileage only.

Local time
Reaction score
What do you mean by more proper? solid axles? body on frame?

There's nothing inferior about unibody/monoque construction, clutch packs for locking, or independent suspension. I think "traditional" may be a better word.

Had LR not disappointingly chosen to lock out the driver with nannies, and therefore permitted a front locker with a system that can be "manually" locked and fully override the programming, I don't see where the gren would have any edge offroad if both were shod with 32'5 muds on 18's. On the other hand, the Gren is more user up gradable. Unfortunately, it's also Gwagon'esque in it's limitations and falls short of a knockout punch there also.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What do you mean by more proper? solid axles? body on frame?

There's nothing inferior about unibody/monoque construction, clutch packs for locking, or independent suspension. I think "traditional" may be a better word.

Had LR not disappointingly chosen to lock out the driver with nannies, and therefore permitted a front locker with a system that can be "manually" locked and fully override the programming, I don't see where the gren would have any edge offroad if both were shod with 32'5 muds on 18's. On the other hand, the Gren is more user up gradable. Unfortunately, it's also Gwagon'esque in it's limitations and falls short of a knockout punch there also.

Kind of an aside, and this might be a minority opinion, but I think 18's are a bit too big for me. Really hate the trend in increasing wheel size, if I had my druthers I'd be rolling around on 16's all day long!

I think the biggest difference between the Grenadier and new Defender, other than the obvious, is that you have to do a bit more yourself with the Grenadier than you do with the new Defender. That was the deciding factor for me and my purchase. I came from a vehicle that was similar to the new Defender in that it was almost entirely a giant computer, you just rotate a knob and go, and while "fun" in some respects--I missed getting into it myself.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Kind of an aside, and this might be a minority opinion, but I think 18's are a bit too big for me. Really hate the trend in increasing wheel size, if I had my druthers I'd be rolling around on 16's all day long!

I think the biggest difference between the Grenadier and new Defender, other than the obvious, is that you have to do a bit more yourself with the Grenadier than you do with the new Defender. That was the deciding factor for me and my purchase. I came from a vehicle that was similar to the new Defender in that it was almost entirely a giant computer, you just rotate a knob and go, and while "fun" in some respects--I missed getting into it myself.

I have a top-of-the-range XC90 if I need to travel in a super comfy, luxury, SUV. But for an everyday 4x4 for getting around the island, towing trailers, back full of dogs, the Grenadier was the absolutely right choice to replace my beloved (2008) 110 XS station wagon.

PS. I love the 18’s :)

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a top-of-the-range XC90 if I need to travel in a super comfy, luxury, SUV. But for an everyday 4x4 for getting around the island, towing trailers, back full of dogs, the Grenadier was the absolutely right choice to replace my beloved (2008) 110 XS station wagon.

PS. I love the 18’s :)

I'm also paranoid about alloys (blame Ronny Dahl) but we won't get into that!

I had a Raptor, it was super cool to rip around in the dirt in what amounted to be a leather couch with A/C seats, but at the end of the day I had too many video game consoles!

Back
Top Bottom