The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Carplay & Compass Issues below 20kmh

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
Morning,

I have an issue with carplay (google or apple maps) not showing 'live' position unless under 20kmh.

As 20kmh is reached, it will hang. It will then update to live when <20kmh.

I notice this also happens with the compass and the pathfinder screen.

Anyone experiencing this? Any solutions?

Car is great, infotainment/ electrical bits are not 100%. Waiting for system update.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
Do you have the issue in other vehicles when using the same phone?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
And a lovely morning it is Cam. Although it's going to be sweaty here in the SE corner on Thursday 🥵
Haven't noticed the carplay issue but my compass is seriously bung. It either freezes up, or rotates very slowly to indicate the wrong direction. I was driving home the other evening with the sun setting onto the road ahead of me and the compass had me heading North (No, I was not driving home from the South Pole). My phone compass also says the vehicle compass is wrong. Agent is aware. Says another of his customers has the same problem. Optimistic that the software update will be a cure-all. Maybe even sort out the Roll indicator that is 6° left side low on level ground.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes all the nav functions freeze up and itself not the phone, the phone works perfectly well everywhere else it’s the car. I do hope the software update fixes that. But I am very glad I have my Garmin Overlander as well because is you are relying on carplay nav it does let you down at times.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same here. It seems that the car's built-in GPS (which takes over from the phone's GPS when connected) freezes. Hopefully one of the issues addressed in the impending software update.

I tested this switching phones and as monitored the dash compass/altimeter and notice it also locks up when the GPS fails.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes all the nav functions freeze up and itself not the phone, the phone works perfectly well everywhere else it’s the car. I do hope the software update fixes that. But I am very glad I have my Garmin Overlander as well because is you are relying on carplay nav it does let you down at times.
When you use car play in another car, no issues? Not being a pain, trying to get some context? What IOS are you running? Have you tried it connected? Does it have the same problem?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When you use car play in another car, no issues? Not being a pain, trying to get some context? What IOS are you running? Have you tried it connected? Does it have the same problem?
Yes works fine in other cars, IOS 16.6.1 (latest) same both wireless and connected it’s 100% the car.

Brendang

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
Yes. This is an issue they supposedly are dealing in software updates

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I don't disagree, trying to figure out why it's a car issue and not the phone. Carplay works off GPS in your phone and not the car. So I would think the mobile data connection is causing the issue and not the app itself. I did research and there has been a general compliant since ios15 carplay update of a lagging issue with car showing no movement on maps for a period of time. No solution has been found yet. All I could think of is the electromagnetic field around the Compass is creating interference with phone. Another example, my keys have a tough time connecting to my car if they are in my pocket with my phone. I have to separate the two to unlock the door. Maybe the same thing is happening but once you get up to a certain speed, the phone then can trigulate off of cell towers making it easier to over come Compass.

Just shooting in the dark.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't disagree, trying to figure out why it's a car issue and not the phone. Carplay works off GPS in your phone and not the car. So I would think the mobile data connection is causing the issue and not the app itself. I did research and there has been a general compliant since ios15 carplay update of a lagging issue with car showing no movement on maps for a period of time. No solution has been found yet. All I could think of is the electromagnetic field around the Compass is creating interference with phone. Another example, my keys have a tough time connecting to my car if they are in my pocket with my phone. I have to separate the two to unlock the door. Maybe the same thing is happening but once you get up to a certain speed, the phone then can trigulate off of cell towers making it easier to over come Compass.

The car whatever the cause the carplay gps works perfectly in other cars not in the Grenadier. The car obviously has it’s own GPS capability because the inbuilt waypoints and compass with lat long in theory works without a phone. I don’t know if the inbuilt gps takes over from the phone for carplay apps or not but everything gps freeze’s at times on screen in the Grenadier.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The car’s GPS takes over from the phone’s when connected. When mine freezes I have to go to settings and disconnect the phone before it’s own GPS allows mapping apps to start working again.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
You learn something new everyday. It's interesting that Apple is showing issues but no AA. Anybody with Andrios Auto having problems?

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Works as it should in other cars. IOS 16.6.1 (Just noticed the new IOS 17 update so will give that a whirl and report back). I have not tried it connected, but will do that too and report back. Thanks!

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
If you have AA or Carplay issues, I would recommend trying a new cable. Particularly a high quality or OEM cable. These programs are screen projections that require considerable bandwidth and require the cable to be up to the required spec. This issue is so common I've heard Google has contemplated not supporting OEM cables at all and just displaying a warning to use one instead.

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you have AA or Carplay issues, I would recommend trying a new cable. Particularly a high quality or OEM cable. These programs are screen projections that require considerable bandwidth and require the cable to be up to the required spec. This issue is so common I've heard Google has contemplated not supporting OEM cables at all and just displaying a warning to use one instead.
TBH I have only tried wireless. Will try the new iOS and with an OEM cable today.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Except CarPlay is wireless. And only wireless in the Grenadier for some reason.

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
iOS 17 made no difference.

Plugging in made no difference. But as Solmanic said, it's wireless anyway.

I noticed however, after driving for 10min with carplay on and an address in, it all seemed to go live. Maps, compass & pathfinder/roadbook info. Carplay was sluggish, but live.

I had not tried leaving it on for more than a few mins previously before turning it off when it didn't work and using the map directly on my phone.

Back to "intermittent" as a status I would say.

Back
Top Bottom