The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Can't figure out how to activate passenger airbag

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the light "passenger airbag off" persistently on. It's to the point that I find it annoying to drive the car at night with the light on. It always looks like this:
1000029368.jpg

I've seen several threads where they say that park the car and with the engine running and parking brake active you can active the passenger airbag in the settings menu. I can't find any setting letting me enable the airbag.

1000029369.jpg

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the light "passenger airbag off" persistently on. It's to the point that I find it annoying to drive the car at night with the light on. It always looks like this:
View attachment 7858036

I've seen several threads where they say that park the car and with the engine running and parking brake active you can active the passenger airbag in the settings menu. I can't find any setting letting me enable the airbag.

View attachment 7858037

Thanks!
Hi @parb. Select Vehicle functions in the Settings menu and scroll down. You can then switch the front passenger airbag on or off. You must have the handbrake on, otherwise the field will be greyed out and you will not be able to operate it.

Attachments

• IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

View attachment 7858036

View attachment 7858037

Thanks!
Scroll down, that's not the bottom of that sub menu.

Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
Don't you have to also press the foot brake?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Don't you have to also press the foot brake?
Yes @CountyV8 , I did not write this explicitly, as the display then shows that you should keep the foot brake depressed for 3 seconds.
But thanks for your tip!
@parb Just for you to add.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This may be a difference between MY23 and MY24, as the menus (and firmware) are not the same

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
After speaking to another forum guy, who has this problem, it was found out that the dealer had not given completed an Ineos airbag service campaign before he picked the car up.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After speaking to another forum guy, who has this problem, it was found out that the dealer had not given completed an Ineos airbag service campaign before he picked the car up.
This wouldn't apply to the OP as the MY24 vehicles do not have that campaign

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I guess I got to take it to a dealer and have them figure it out. Too bad my closest dealer is in LA and I'm in San Francisco.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess I got to take it to a dealer and have them figure it out. Too bad my closest dealer is in LA and I'm in San Francisco.
I'm not sure there is anything to specifically "figure out", it may have been a menu item that was removed for MY24

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
They need to figure out how to activate the passenger airbag.
It is required to be present by law, and it can only be deactivated with a special approval letter for that particular vehicle from nhtsa.

I don't think this is what I'm dealing with here, this has to be a defect.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They need to figure out how to activate the passenger airbag.
It is required to be present by law, and it can only be deactivated with a special approval letter for that particular vehicle from nhtsa.
From what my quick Googling has found, there is no requirement to be able to turn on a passenger airbag with an unoccupied seat. The airbag is automatically illuminated when there is enough weight detected in the seat.

I know my better half's MY23 Subaru has no method to perform this function manually.

Now, if you are saying that even with a passenger the airbag off light remains illuminated, then it is time for a dealer visit.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Now, if you are saying that even with a passenger the airbag off light remains illuminated, then it is time for a dealer visit.
@parb - I have noticed that the ON/OFF illumination is inconsistent in my Grenadier when a passenger is sitting in the seat. Sometimes ON, sometimes OFF, sometimes both - I'm about to put black headlight tape on it....

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aha, new information. I'll check with a passenger in the seat.
This has all been about the airbag being off when there was no one in the seat?

Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@parb - I have noticed that the ON/OFF illumination is inconsistent in my Grenadier when a passenger is sitting in the seat. Sometimes ON, sometimes OFF, sometimes both - I'm about to out black headlight tape on it....
Yes, my only issue is with the BRIGHTNESS (particularly at night) of the message, regardless of whether it is indicating ON or OFF.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
So airbag is ON when someone is sitting in the seat. When no one is in the seat it is OFF. I can't find a way to turn off the airbag in the menu regardless of someone is in the seat or not.

And the telltale light is much too bright for night driving. Always on.

Back
Top Bottom