The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery at 78% but Grenadier didn't start

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:55 PM
Reaction score
On Saturday I had a ride and drove a small loop in the area. The battery was at 72% when I set off and was then at 78% in the evening. So no problems on Saturday.

But when I wanted to go for a ride on Sunday, the engine wouldn't start and the starter remained silent. The control lights were on and when they went off I turned the key as usual.The message “preheating active” (original: "Vorglühen aktiv") came up and then “restart engine”. But no success.

Battery was still at 78%. Four or five attempts with the same messages but without success. So I connected my Noco jump starter to the contact in the engine bay. Then it worked straight away. But that can't be right with a 78% battery - and it isn't right with a new car (600 km) anyway.

No more problems for the rest of Sunday. But I don't like it. :mad:

So far, I haven't driven since then.
wording

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
On Saturday I had a ride and drove a small loop in the area. The battery was at 72% when I set off and was then at 78% in the evening. So no problems on Saturday.

But when I wanted to go for a ride on Sunday, the engine wouldn't start and the starter remained silent. The control lights were on and when they went I turned the key as usual.The message “preheating active” (original: "Vorglühen aktiv") came up and then “restart engine”. But no success.

Battery was still at 78%. Four or five attempts with the same messages but without success. So I connected my Noco jump starter to the contact in the engine compartment. Then it worked straight away. But that can't be right with a 78% battery - and it isn't right with a new car (600 km) anyway.

Bugger, very frustrating and not logical from the % point of view.

Did you manage to run a voltmeter across the terms at all, presume not otherwise you would've said. You had low temps there weatherwise?

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

But when I wanted to go for a ride on Sunday, the engine wouldn't start and the starter remained silent. The control lights were on and when they went I turned the key as usual.The message “preheating active” (original: "Vorglühen aktiv") came up and then “restart engine”. But no success.

Battery was still at 78%. Four or five attempts with the same messages but without success. So I connected my Noco jump starter to the contact in the engine compartment. Then it worked straight away. But that can't be right with a 78% battery - and it isn't right with a new car (600 km) anyway.

Emax, which Noco are you using? Your car is a Diesel, right? I have a NOCO Boost XL GB50 but not sure if it is powerful enough - it says up to 4L Diesel but might be theory only.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The message „Vorglühen aktiv“ seems to disturb the software if you start too early. I had it two times it did not went off after starting quickly and then showed a „Motorsteuerung Fehler“ message every 10 seconds during drive until I stopped. It was quite cold that day, -13 Celsius.

But the car started with battery at 53% in the past. Anyway, the SoC seems to be a guess because it also started with 0% one time.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score

Take it round to Vera and Christian?

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Emax, which Noco are you using? Your car is a Diesel, right? I have a NOCO Boost XL GB50 but not sure if it is powerful enough - it says up to 4L Diesel but might be theory only.

The Hot and Cold LED indicators of the internal battery determine when your Boost is outside operating temperatures to help protect your batteries and devices. It's rated at 1,500 Amps, and suitable for use on petrol engines up to 7L and up to 4.5L diesel engines such as a car, van, boat, SUV, truck and more.​

should be fine reading the data above. I've got the GB70 as occasionally need to start bigger machinery.

says it's operating temp is -20 to +50 degrees celsius

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Takre it round to Vera and Christian?
actually would like to see emax return trip to them both. what is their username on here again?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I suggest that this is not a battery issue in its self but more likely the controlling software.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Had the same. Probably a battery error. They replaced the bad battery and I had no more problems. As I have a single battery setup there was no second battery to help to start. It even was getting worse that due to the PDF burn, the fans where killing this bad battery to 40% load. Even when standing still the battery dropped at least 10% a day.
Now with the new battery it stays between 99 and 95% loaded. Never lower. So no prob anymore.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bugger, very frustrating and not logical from the % point of view.

Did you manage to run a voltmeter across the terms at all, presume not otherwise you would've said. You had low temps there weatherwise?
Didn't check with a Voltmeter, But the display said 12.4 Volts or so. Temperature was moderate @ -3 °C.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Emax, which Noco are you using? Your car is a Diesel, right? I have a NOCO Boost XL GB50 but not sure if it is powerful enough
I have a GB40 and it works like a charm. And as said, Noco was my rescue not my problem.

Reactions: Pat

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The LR Time "last resort" might so to say be a nice backup. But at 600 Km this car is new and it's clearly an INEOS matter.

The message „Vorglühen aktiv“ seems to disturb the software if you start too early.
That's a good hint. I'll keep an eye on this and if I have this message again I will try to provoke (and thus reproduce) the problem.
wording

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom