The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary battery

Doctari

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know little about electronics. So, what comes with the auxiliary battery, and why would I want an auxiliary battery? Thanks in advance for your help.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know little about electronics. So, what comes with the auxiliary battery, and why would I want an auxiliary battery? Thanks in advance for your help.
3 main purposes.
- to run fridges and lights etc at camp without the risk of running doen your starter battery and stranding you.
- redundancy for remote touring safety
- additional power for winching

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You'll get the battery itself and the subsequent battery isolator and wiring.

The purpose of the aux battery is to run your electrical loads without draining the main battery (i.e. days of camping and running a fridge and camp lights while charging devices). If you aren't going to be doing that, it'll effectively be useless for you

Vote:
Upvote 0

Doctari

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score

The purpose of the aux battery is to run your electrical loads without draining the main battery (i.e. days of camping and running a fridge and camp lights while charging devices). If you aren't going to be doing that, it'll effectively be useless for you
What’s a battery isolator?

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What’s a battery isolator?
Allows charging of the aux battery from the main battery/alternator, but also allows the aux battery to be discharged (by the aforementioned loads), without discharging the main battery so the truck still starts

Vote:
Upvote 0

Doctari

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Allows charging of the aux battery from the main battery/alternator, but also allows the aux battery to be discharged (by the aforementioned loads), without discharging the main battery so the truck still starts
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. What is an inverter, and does the auxiliary battery setup include one?

Vote:
Upvote 0

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. What is an inverter, and does the auxiliary battery setup include one?
An inverter changes the voltage. Here from 12V to 220 v in most of the world (I hope this is right) and 110 v in the USA

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It does not include an inverter, the inverter is what is referred to as "Power Take Off" in the configurator; as stated above; it gives you regular "house" power... The optional inverter is only 400w though (which is about standard for similar vehicles). This will charge a few laptops and some small devices; but don't expect it to power a Keurig, or hair dryer or anything like that

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It does not include an inverter, the inverter is what is referred to as "Power Take Off" in the configurator; as stated above; it gives you regular "house" power... The optional inverter is only 400w though (which is about standard for similar vehicles). This will charge a few laptops and some small devices; but don't expect it to power a Keurig, or hair dryer or anything like that
Oh, the blasphemy !

Vote:
Upvote 0

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some battery advice from owners and those that understand batteries and electrics 💡🤞.

Whilst my Grenadier is likely to only be delivered by Santa (Dec23), I want to purchase items between now and then which can satisfy my camping needs and also extend the capabilities of the Grenadier on arrival.

We're off camping this weekend in our BMW X1 and need a battery power bank that can power a fridge and lighting. In the future when the Grenadier arrives (🌲🎁) I would like to also take our starlink satellite to complete my bush office setup, which will include solar panel input.

With the above in mind, can anyone please share how they would solve this now, while future proofing the purchase and usability in the Grenadier? I don't know what the current battery setup in the Grenadier is and/or whether there is space for the addition battery and ctek solar addition, so please help clarify what you'd purchase if you were me 🙌

Vote:
Upvote 0

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score

Not to be forgotten if an auxiliary heater is used. So in the colder parts of our planet a very useful device.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some battery advice from owners and those that understand batteries and electrics 💡🤞.

Whilst my Grenadier is likely to only be delivered by Santa (Dec23), I want to purchase items between now and then which can satisfy my camping needs and also extend the capabilities of the Grenadier on arrival.

We're off camping this weekend in our BMW X1 and need a battery power bank that can power a fridge and lighting. In the future when the Grenadier arrives (🌲🎁) I would like to also take our starlink satellite to complete my bush office setup, which will include solar panel input.

With the above in mind, can anyone please share how they would solve this now, while future proofing the purchase and usability in the Grenadier? I don't know what the current battery setup in the Grenadier is and/or whether there is space for the addition battery and ctek solar addition, so please help clarify what you'd purchase if you were me 🙌

Vote:
Upvote 0

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @DaveB looks impressive. Would this be used standalone when the Grenadier arrives, or do you see this fitting into the battery department working in parallel/serial setup? Note that I have spec'd the auxiliary switching and battery option.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score

A simple easy solution to solar charging until my wife ran over the solar panel 😡. connected directly to the jump start post under the bonnet. 100 watt suitcase style solar panel with inbuilt mppt controller. I’ve got two now which is more than enough to run my fridge ,lights and equipment chargingIMG_1684.jpegIMG_1685.jpeg

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @DaveB looks impressive. Would this be used standalone when the Grenadier arrives, or do you see this fitting into the battery department working in parallel/serial setup? Note that I have spec'd the auxiliary switching and battery option.
I have also specced the auxiliary battery but one of these is a great backup and as they are heavy you only put them in the vehicle when needed.
You can also use them without the vehicle

Vote:
Upvote 0

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I see from other responses that you have specified the auxiliary battery. Depending on how long you are camped between drives, it should run a fridge for a day or two and led lights for ages. If you want to add solar input you can add the CTEK d250SE to the existing CTEK Smartpass that allows solar input Black sheep innovations are offering a mounting plate and the D250se rhat will bolt straight in, there is room or you can make something up yourself. If you intend to camp longer and run an office then you may need more. The Bluetti style units are very nice but for significantly less you can buy a deep cycle battery and a battery box with output plugs, the easiest way to run these will be independently and charge them with solar durating the day, you could potentially wire it into the vehicle system but you may need to upgrade the dc/dc charger i am not sure the Ctek system has the capacity for that, would need to check.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can run accessories off the aux battery when the car is off? Which power outlets continue to have power for example overnight if you're camping. My car should arrive in the next week or two and I want to wire up power to my roof top tent for overnight and want it to have power when the car is off/locked. I saw that there is a battery on switch on the roof panel?
Thanks!

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom