The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australia PT02 (Customer Drive Victoria) 24-26 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Strong agree, and I have my own feelings about this being a defining feature of the Australian market. There seems to be no limit to what Aussies are prepared to spend on cars and outdoor adventure equipment... and there is lots of money sloshing around. The need for a car such as the IG is genuine. Contrast this with the UK, which I think a much more cautious, self-conscious market, with less convincing justifications for ownership of such a car.

These seem to be reflected in the recent round of car reviews - middling positive and lukewarm in the UK, but very enthusiastic in Aus.

Further to my attendance at the Caravan & Camping Show yesterday.

I was stunned by:

a) the number of people
b) the number of exhibitors (and products on display)
c) the number of young people & young families
d) the prices

It was like half of Australia has gone mad bonkers for outdoors/off roady travelling stuff.

Maybe it's a lot of post covid back to nature emotion.

I mean - it wasn't that long ago (10-15 years) that most attendees would have been older folks (in or approaching retirement) looking at caravans and slightly nerdy anorak camping/hiking types (that's probably me) looking at the camping stuff - now it's gone full mainstream.

I think for many Europeans it's hard to explain this cultural change here in Australia

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I was stunned by:

a) the number of people
d) the prices

It was like half of Australia has gone mad bonkers for outdoors/off roady travelling stuff.

I mean - it wasn't that long ago (10-15 years) that most attendees would have been older folks (in or approaching retirement) looking at caravans and slightly nerdy anorak camping/hiking types (that's probably me) looking at the camping stuff - now it's gone full mainstream.

I think for many Europeans it's hard to explain this cultural change here in Australia
Its almost like no one is paying attention to the inflation rate and subsequent Interest Rate increases, fear of recession etc.
Mind you most of these young people have pretty much lived their lives without high interest rates or recession, so I suppose you don't blame them for not planning for it.

We have been free campers for the last 20 years, and love the process of getting out into nature and enjoying the peace and quiet.
However now, unfortunately due to the massive increase in the population doing the same thing - particularly noticeable since covid - we have now moved over to paying for our campsites, just so we can continue to get away from everyone else.

Last edited:

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I was stunned by:

a) the number of people
d) the prices

Yet the demographic on the Friday of the show was entirely different. The would-be grey nomads were out in force presumably avoiding the Sunday crush!

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score

I was stunned by:

a) the number of people
d) the prices

In the case of your ordinary cashed-up Aussie, I’d say combo of covid, affluence, high flight prices (limited overseas travel), Instagram, Pat Callahan types on telly…

Going slightly back on topic, agree IG will inevitably become something of a Toorak/Chelsea Tractor, but worth making point - particularly noticeable here in WA - is that these affluent types are also active and go to rural places. They swim, they kayak, they drag mountain bikes and boats around, they visit wineries and their second homes down south, doing practical energetic things. They’re keen to show that they are down to earth and purposeful, whilst also wanting a bit of luxury and performance in their lives. European brands are aspirational to them.

I think they’ll want a Grenadier.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got to drive the Grenadier again today in Melbourne, so here are a few points:
1/ The RHS footrest "issue" is still a non issue.
2/ The Steering"issue" is a non issue.
3/ The Windscreen wiper "issue" is a non issue - I drove one with a dusty windscreen. I noticed it before I got in the car, but then after the drive I realised that I didn't notice it at all whilst driving.
4/ If you want to run an electric brake controller, then you will need to run a new wire from front to back yourself, there is no wire in the existing loom designated for this purpose.
5/ As mentioned, the Alternator is 250Amps which is more than adequate in my book. My V6 Amarok has an 180A alternator.
6/ The single battery is adequate to power the car, the winch, and auxiliary electrical functions of the car - including those that will run of the additional switch panel. This means that if you have gone without the second battery, you can easily install your own battery and wire that up specifically to other functions like fridges, Inverters etc.
7 They are definitely planning on holding some owner/driver days so new owners can familiarise themselves with the offroad capability of the car. These will probably take a format similar to the drive days that we have experienced- but everyone brings their own car.
8/ They definitely notice a spike in orders after each drive day that they have run, as reservation holders have now driven the car. Yes there are apparently a lot of reservation holders still - which is staggering in my book, as they have to pay the new price now, not the old price.
9/ There are a lot of people who are buying this car that don't care how much it is, or whether it gets utilised for what it is - they just are falling in love with it. They went as far to say that it is already a "cult car", and the "marketing" that they are doing at the moment (drive days, shows etc) is enough to fill their allocations.
10/ Lead time is around the 12 month mark, however this will come back as more production slots become available.
11/ They also said that they are getting a bit of shipping availability at the moment as they are flexible as to where the cars land in Australia. Apparently Melbourne has such a vehicle shipping bottle neck at the moment, and the big guys have to drop off their cars at these main locations. This means that slots in Wollongong etc for smaller volume cars are opening up, and Ineos are grabbing them. So it will mean that they can get cars to OZ quicker than they were originally planning, so more will be on their way downunder. Apparently the 92 cars coming to OZ, haven't left yet but are on the docks.
12/ They are expecting another large release of contracts to OZ this week as well, as they knew a batch went out last night.
13/ I was thinking that the Ute may be better from a business taxation perspective in OZ - as it might reach a payload of 1000kg, however whilst they haven't said anything concrete, they doubt that it will. Not because it cannot handle the weight, but more due to the homologation process where that is not necessary or allowed in other countries. So it looks like there wont be any great commercial tax benefits to the dual cabin ute.

I took my far better half today with me, and she really liked it - and understands why I talk about it all the time. She was very impressed.
Also now she knows why I am on my computer all the time is genuinely because I am actually looking at "The Ineos Forum", and not other internet content.

Happy Days.
There are a couple of PTO2s that they have installed Redarc brake controllers in already and your agent should be able to arrange installation. I don’t like where they installed the button though, I want to get my head back in one to look around and discuss location with my agent.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are a couple of PTO2s that they have installed Redarc brake controllers in already and your agent should be able to arrange installation. I don’t like where they installed the button though, I want to get my head back in one to look around and discuss location with my agent.
I was hoping that they would have a nice 30A wire already in the loom to save me time running the cable down myself when I install it - Unfortunately they dont.
I wouldn't think there is a 3mm unused wire with this rating already included in the loom that runs to the Euro plug.
View attachment 7804281
couple of alternatives available for brake controller here👍

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Social media/you tube v logging has driven fear of missing out and social competitiveness (which previously was limited to the suburban environment)
Now we have people travelling with expensive coffee machines , induction cookers , air fryers , microwaves , outdoor theatres and every other electrical appliance you may or may not need. Plus a GVM upgrade because now you have to.
I honestly don't know how the younger generations can afford this plus housing , schooling etc.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, partly because people who are new to "adventuring" don't won't to leave home without the creature comforts and/or don't yet appreciate that less is more and the value that comes with the simplicity of being "off road"; e.g. ,many small off road pop-up caravans with in-built TV's - like, really you get out into the wilderness but need to watch TV via the small portable satellite dish you take along!!!

Others have heaps of cash and want to have everything.

The array of "caravan & camping equipment" I saw was mindboggling and some, downright stupid

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We were also shocked by this at the Perth show. Caravans costing +200K, with en-suites and wifi, and requiring huge towing vehicles.

We (4 of us) did a month in the Kimberley with the stuff we could fit in the car and on the roof. No trailer.

People are free to make their own choices, and decide what to go with/without. But it does seem like consumer madness to me.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is a picture I took in Perth last November through the drivers window of the Redarc controller.

1677458995525.jpeg1677459226397.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We were also shocked by this at the Perth show. Caravans costing +200K, with en-suites and wifi, and requiring huge towing vehicles.

We (4 of us) did a month in the Kimberley with the stuff we could fit in the car and on the roof. No trailer.

People are free to make their own choices, and decide what to go with/without. But it does seem like consumer madness to me.
Yes.

What I also observed (between all the large (dual/triple axel) off road vans) was a few large US utes; e.g. Ram, now available in Australia with 4,500 kg tow rating.

jonty69

Production/Transit
Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
Ineos Redarc Switch.jpg

Photo taken at Hanging Rock. Advised that Redarc were with the vehicles last week confirming kit/install for set up. It will be a dealer option for fitting pre delivery.

Wife's reflection in the dash approving of driving position! So far everything has been great with the look finish and off road feel of the car. I am looking forward to getting on tarmac with one as that is what it will be on most even when heading anywhere away from work. My contract was signed in November and advised notification is pending re shipment of cars for a May delivery (was December production originally!), second delivery after dealer cars was the suggestion. Chomping at the bit....

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
4/ If you want to run an electric brake controller, then you will need to run a new wire from front to back yourself, there is no wire in the existing loom

Great you got another drive, and formal sign off from the Boss.

13 pin euro plug has no allocation for a brake controller.
Unbelievable.
I assume an auto leccy could reassign one? This black art has always been beyond me.
You don't need an allocated wire in the pug for the Redarc controller, it's spliced into the brake wire.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Social media/you tube v logging has driven fear of missing out and social competitiveness (which previously was limited to the suburban environment)
Now we have people travelling with expensive coffee machines , induction cookers , air fryers , microwaves , outdoor theatres and every other electrical appliance you may or may not need. Plus a GVM upgrade because now you have to.
I honestly don't know how the younger generations can afford this plus housing , schooling etc.
For rear of sounding like an old bugger, I agree. It never ceases to amaze me of the amount of young families traveling Australia in $300ks worth of van/4x4. It's like....where did they get the money for that? (if you remember the old Custom Credit TV ad (@17.5%)

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For rear of sounding like an old bugger, I agree. It never ceases to amaze me of the amount of young families traveling Australia in $300ks worth of van/4x4. It's like....where did they get the money for that? (if you remember the old Custom Credit TV ad (@17.5%)
Tradies and FIFOs with families gotta spend their buckets of cash on something. It used to be a HSV and regular trips to Bali but now its a fully loaded 4X4 and an offroad van.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The array of "caravan & camping equipment" I saw was mindboggling and some, downright stupid

I saw tons of these shiny brand new caravans (presumably display units from the show) heading up the Hume as I headed back to Sydney yesterday. Monstrous things!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You don't need an allocated wire in the pug for the Redarc controller, it's spliced into the brake wire.
Hmmm...actually two wires are required ... one for the brake signal from the brake-light wire to the controller, and a second one from the controller to provide decent amperage to the electromagnets in the trailer brakes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom