The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australia PT02 (Customer Drive Victoria) 24-26 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
If you're going let people know, if you don't know anything about this event and think that you should have been notified, then tell INEOS Automotive..........

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 10.37.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 7.17.20 AM.png

Last edited:

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
I’m going. Received an email and booked, but event was full before long

Local time
Reaction score
, if you don't know anything about this event and think that you should have been notified, then tell INEOS Automotive..........

After speaking with one of the INEOS reps at the Lardner Park drive last year, they said that these customer drive events are for order holders first & foremost - not just the general public.
They want to make sure that the people who have put down their money on a car they've never seen are happy with their decision. That's why not everyone who's signed up for emails gets an invite.
And you know what? I support this. Why should some random person who's not even interested in buying or just wants to drive so they can make an ego stroking post on social media, get to experience the car before I get to drive it as an order holder?
The rep said that idea will be that once the agents get their demonstrator vehicles, then more people will obviously get the chance to drive them.
Apparently all of these new events in QLD, NSW & VIC filled out within just hours of the email being sent to order holders. I missed out on this round, but I'm happy with having driven it already & am fine with not taking up someone else's spot.

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
After speaking with one of the INEOS reps at the Lardner Park drive last year, they said that these customer drive events are for order holders first & foremost - not just the general public.
They want to make sure that the people who have put down their money on a car they've never seen are happy with their decision. That's why not everyone who's signed up for emails gets an invite.
And you know what? I support this. Why should some random person who's not even interested in buying or just wants to drive so they can make an ego stroking post on social media, get to experience the car before I get to drive it as an order holder?
The rep said that idea will be that once the agents get their demonstrator vehicles, then more people will obviously get the chance to drive them.
Apparently all of these new events in QLD, NSW & VIC filled out within just hours of the email being sent to order holders. I missed out on this round, but I'm happy with having driven it already & am fine with not taking up someone else's spot.

You're totally correct, which is why I wrote 'think that you should have been notified'

Events have happened near some members here and they haven't received any notification. Granted quite a few went to spam, but a belt and braces approach towards INEOS' comms dpt may be wise.

As I understand it, reservations are only accepted with a real deposit having been paid (definitely the case in North America), which should keep the randoms away. These events are designed and held solely for the benefit of early supporters of the vehicle, I'm told.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
So ASPW has first to order one one before he can rant about his test drive ...? ;)

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got to drive the Grenadier again today in Melbourne, so here are a few points:
1/ The RHS footrest "issue" is still a non issue.
2/ The Steering"issue" is a non issue.
3/ The Windscreen wiper "issue" is a non issue - I drove one with a dusty windscreen. I noticed it before I got in the car, but then after the drive I realised that I didn't notice it at all whilst driving.
4/ If you want to run an electric brake controller, then you will need to run a new wire from front to back yourself, there is no wire in the existing loom designated for this purpose.
5/ As mentioned, the Alternator is 250Amps which is more than adequate in my book. My V6 Amarok has an 180A alternator.
6/ The single battery is adequate to power the car, the winch, and auxiliary electrical functions of the car - including those that will run of the additional switch panel. This means that if you have gone without the second battery, you can easily install your own battery and wire that up specifically to other functions like fridges, Inverters etc.
7 They are definitely planning on holding some owner/driver days so new owners can familiarise themselves with the offroad capability of the car. These will probably take a format similar to the drive days that we have experienced- but everyone brings their own car.
8/ They definitely notice a spike in orders after each drive day that they have run, as reservation holders have now driven the car. Yes there are apparently a lot of reservation holders still - which is staggering in my book, as they have to pay the new price now, not the old price.
9/ There are a lot of people who are buying this car that don't care how much it is, or whether it gets utilised for what it is - they just are falling in love with it. They went as far to say that it is already a "cult car", and the "marketing" that they are doing at the moment (drive days, shows etc) is enough to fill their allocations.
10/ Lead time is around the 12 month mark, however this will come back as more production slots become available.
11/ They also said that they are getting a bit of shipping availability at the moment as they are flexible as to where the cars land in Australia. Apparently Melbourne has such a vehicle shipping bottle neck at the moment, and the big guys have to drop off their cars at these main locations. This means that slots in Wollongong etc for smaller volume cars are opening up, and Ineos are grabbing them. So it will mean that they can get cars to OZ quicker than they were originally planning, so more will be on their way downunder. Apparently the 92 cars coming to OZ, haven't left yet but are on the docks.
12/ They are expecting another large release of contracts to OZ this week as well, as they knew a batch went out last night.
13/ I was thinking that the Ute may be better from a business taxation perspective in OZ - as it might reach a payload of 1000kg, however whilst they haven't said anything concrete, they doubt that it will. Not because it cannot handle the weight, but more due to the homologation process where that is not necessary or allowed in other countries. So it looks like there wont be any great commercial tax benefits to the dual cabin ute.

I took my far better half today with me, and she really liked it - and understands why I talk about it all the time. She was very impressed.
Also now she knows why I am on my computer all the time is genuinely because I am actually looking at "The Ineos Forum", and not other internet content.

Happy Days.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
4/ If you want to run an electric brake controller, then you will need to run a new wire from front to back yourself, there is no wire in the existing loom

Great you got another drive, and formal sign off from the Boss.

13 pin euro plug has no allocation for a brake controller.
Unbelievable.
I assume an auto leccy could reassign one? This black art has always been beyond me.

Last edited:

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
3/ The Windscreen wiper "issue" is a non issue - I drove one with a dusty windscreen. I noticed it before I got in the car, but then after the drive I realised that I didn't notice it at all whilst driving.
4/ If you want to run an electric brake controller, then you will need to run a new wire from front to back yourself, there is no wire in the existing loom designated for this purpose.
5/ As mentioned, the Alternator is 250Amps which is more than adequate in my book. My V6 Amarok has an 180A alternator.
6/ The single battery is adequate to power the car, the winch, and auxiliary electrical functions of the car - including those that will run of the additional switch panel. This means that if you have gone without the second battery, you can easily install your own battery and wire that up specifically to other functions like fridges, Inverters etc.
7 They are definitely planning on holding some owner/driver days so new owners can familiarise themselves with the offroad capability of the car. These will probably take a format similar to the drive days that we have experienced- but everyone brings their own car.
8/ They definitely notice a spike in orders after each drive day that they have run, as reservation holders have now driven the car. Yes there are apparently a lot of reservation holders still - which is staggering in my book, as they have to pay the new price now, not the old price.
9/ There are a lot of people who are buying this car that don't care how much it is, or whether it gets utilised for what it is - they just are falling in love with it. They went as far to say that it is already a "cult car", and the "marketing" that they are doing at the moment (drive days, shows etc) is enough to fill their allocations.
10/ Lead time is around the 12 month mark, however this will come back as more production slots become available.
11/ They also said that they are getting a bit of shipping availability at the moment as they are flexible as to where the cars land in Australia. Apparently Melbourne has such a vehicle shipping bottle neck at the moment, and the big guys have to drop off their cars at these main locations. This means that slots in Wollongong etc for smaller volume cars are opening up, and Ineos are grabbing them. So it will mean that they can get cars to OZ quicker than they were originally planning, so more will be on their way downunder. Apparently the 92 cars coming to OZ, haven't left yet but are on the docks.
12/ They are expecting another large release of contracts to OZ this week as well, as they knew a batch went out last night.
13/ I was thinking that the Ute may be better from a business taxation perspective in OZ - as it might reach a payload of 1000kg, however whilst they haven't said anything concrete, they doubt that it will. Not because it cannot handle the weight, but more due to the homologation process where that is not necessary or allowed in other countries. So it looks like there wont be any great commercial tax benefits to the dual cabin ute.

I took my far better half today with me, and she really liked it - and understands why I talk about it all the time. She was very impressed that it will tow the van offroad to get to the camping spots that we want.
Also now she knows why I am on my computer all the time is genuinely because I am actually looking at "The Ineos Forum", and not other internet content.

Happy Days.

Agree with everything you wrote Davman,

I also went for a drive today at Hanging Rock with an impartial mate.
My friend who’s 6’5” fit in the back seat, and his knees did not touch the front seat.
He said it was comfortable but probably wouldn’t want to go to Adelaide (in the back)
When he drove I asked his opinion of the RHS footrest, he commented his foot kind of rode up toward the engine (but that’s possibly due to the terrain) but he was pleasantly surprised.
He used to drive a troopy for work and said they didn’t remotely compare in refinement levels.

One down side (from a work perspective) is that the boot is not long enough to fit a tripod flat on the floor. So I’ll have to build an angled rack or something.

One plus side is the doors are double sealed so dust shouldn’t be an issue (the interior was dusty but that was because people were driving with the windows down)

The co-driver mentioned discussions were underway about driver training with certified instructors. (Nothing concrete)

And also the posibilty of a 3/4 rack to suit the Safari windows.

Attachments

• 6238260E-068B-4660-90CB-40240BAC2059.jpeg
    6238260E-068B-4660-90CB-40240BAC2059.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 62F9B2B6-BD54-44B6-97E3-987BD47652D7.jpeg
    62F9B2B6-BD54-44B6-97E3-987BD47652D7.jpeg
    867.5 KB · Views: 56
  • CC4DA3C8-00A7-45D4-9CD9-A88AAFC5FA7E.jpeg
    CC4DA3C8-00A7-45D4-9CD9-A88AAFC5FA7E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
4/ If you want to run an electric brake controller, then you will need to run a new wire from front to back yourself, there is no wire in the existing loom

Great you got another drive, and formal sign off from the Boss.

13 pin euro plug has no allocation for a brake controller.
Unbelievable.
I assume an auto leccy could reassign one? This black art has always been beyond me.
Screenshot_20230225_192603_Samsung Internet.jpg
couple of alternatives available for brake controller here👍

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had another drive today.
Non-issues:
  • Footrest
  • Wiper coverage
  • Steering
Very important issue: Wife loves it! Her assessment…
  • Very comfortable seats (better than Disco4)
  • Heated seats (big tick)
  • Much more refined than expected
  • Good suspension
Met some other Victorian forum members today but they admit to being lurkers!
All very excited about their orders and at least 2 had signed contracts!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can only concur with most of the above comments on my second drive last Friday.

It is stunningly sure footed and solid the Grenadier feels when driving over bumpy, lumpy, rutted terrain.

I was at the Melbourne Caravan & Camping Show today visiting more than 15 camping trailer exhibitors (Patriot, Track, Trackabout, etc.).

I was asked what vehicle I would be towing at least 10 times.

Amazingly, only 2 out of the 10 had ever heard of the Grenadier and 1 of those 2 said....."are you confident it will be OK offroad"!!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
Had another drive today.
Non-issues:
  • Footrest
  • Wiper coverage
  • Steering
Very important issue: Wife loves it! Her assessment…
  • Very comfortable seats (better than Disco4)
  • Heated seats (big tick)
  • Much more refined than expected
  • Good suspension
Met some other Victorian forum members today but they admit to being lurkers!
All very excited about their orders and at least 2 had signed contracts!
Haha 9 UK drive test reviews raised all your non-issues... as issues!!! Funny how everyone is so different!
Can't wait for delivery... when it comes!

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
Great write-up @Davman 👍

Yes ... and perhaps no, since everyone from here on in will have to pay the new price. Great of course if they are prepared to. A vote of confidence. Also todays 'new price' will of course become tomorrows 'old price', and so it goes on...
Strong agree, and I have my own feelings about this being a defining feature of the Australian market. There seems to be no limit to what Aussies are prepared to spend on cars and outdoor adventure equipment... and there is lots of money sloshing around. The need for a car such as the IG is genuine. Contrast this with the UK, which I think a much more cautious, self-conscious market, with less convincing justifications for ownership of such a car.

These seem to be reflected in the recent round of car reviews - middling positive and lukewarm in the UK, but very enthusiastic in Aus.

I was at the Melbourne Caravan & Camping Show today visiting more than 15 camping trailer exhibitors (Patriot, Track, Trackabout, etc.).

I was asked what vehicle I would be towing at least 10 times.

Amazingly, only 2 out of the 10 had ever heard of the Grenadier and 1 of those 2 said....."are you confident it will be OK offroad"!!
Interesting, and I think somewhat related to the conversation above... in terms of the potential for the Australian market. Your average Aussie going to caravan and camping shows knows Toyotas, Nissans, Toyotas, Fords and Toyotas. It's not much of a surprise to hear them stumped at the mention of the Grenadier.

Ineos might think this is their main market, but it's not. @Davman 's comment (9) hits nail on the head.

You wait until the Grenadier is on the streets of affluent Australia - say Toorak, Mosman, Cottesloe - and watch the orders start rolling in.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score

I took my far better half today with me, and she really liked it - and understands why I talk about it all the time. She was very impressed.

Happy Days.
Thanks @Davman great review and information (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom