The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Are you not getting the front or rear diff and why?

Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
We are all waiting to hear on the pricing this week. One of the biggest price jumps I imagine will be having the option for the front and rear diff or the rough pack. I test drove the IG in New York a couple of weeks ago. I was in a field master without the front and back lockers. We were in Low gear. It was muddy as all hell and we went over everything with the aired down KO2 Tires. After that drive I really wondered if I would really need it cause I would really never drive over anything that extreme or in the rarest cases. Standard is the center lock and is that enough for the majority of people? Yes its always nice to have the peace of mind and be capable for those situations. But in the event that it comes down to trying to lower costs. Love to hear all your thoughts and opinions. I understand its based on all our goals with the vehicle and use case.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
We are all waiting to hear on the pricing this week. One of the biggest price jumps I imagine will be having the option for the front and rear diff or the rough pack. I test drove the IG in New York a couple of weeks ago. I was in a field master without the front and back lockers. We were in Low gear. It was muddy as all hell and we went over everything with the aired down KO2 Tires. After that drive I really wondered if I would really need it cause I would really never drive over anything that extreme or in the rarest cases. Standard is the center lock and is that enough for the majority of people? Yes its always nice to have the peace of mind and be capable for those situations. But in the event that it comes down to trying to lower costs. Love to hear all your thoughts and opinions. I understand its based on all our goals with the vehicle and use case.
I will get it with the Diffs for many reasons. The number one reason is if I change my mind, it will be much more costly to have them added.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I too was impressed with the performance without using lockers (the one I drove did not even have them) but the lockers are one of the few items that can’t be added later.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Would never not option them. Been stuck so many times, very frustrating when get bogged or stuck.

Lockers, like a winch help reduce those occasions a fair bit.

Local time
Reaction score
It depends where you live, your skill, and what you intend to do.

Can you drive 90% of fire roads and trails in the US with just a center lock? Probably. Heck, in most of the rest of the world some villager farmer is doing it in an '80s Corolla.

But it's way less taxing on your hardware, the trail, and mental peace to flip on a diff lock and sail through an obstacle. I'll get them because they minimize the risks I'll have to take with the vehicle to get where I want to go.

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I only got them as this is meant to be the ultimate off roader - I’ll never use them in anger - it’s a bit like getting a diving watch with only 100m rating. You’ll never go deeper but it’s a dive watch - you want the 300m rating.

Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Why can't they be upgraded later? Differential gears and lockers can be added quite easily with the appropriate shop or tools (just regeared my 2020 Tacoma, had the option to add a front locker).

Local time
Reaction score
Why can't they be upgraded later? Differential gears and lockers can be added quite easily with the appropriate shop or tools (just regeared my 2020 Tacoma, had the option to add a front locker).
Some car manufacturers won't do the upgrade but I'm sure you can probably get a third party to do it?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
It’s something with the axles I think. It is not easy just to swap the diff against another one with locks they told me. Maybe different sizes then usually used?

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I know on 80 series Land Cruisers the OEM locking axle dropout is different than the non-locking version so it is more involved and costly to replace the dropout and everything with it.

For a time I had a 1995 triple locked 80-series Land Cruiser and a 1997 without the axle lockers. Ended up selling the ‘95 due to engine issues and it being in rough shape, but I always wish my ‘97 had them. I’ve been stuck once in it and had to use my ‘95 to get it out. Helped that it had a winch…

So I am 100% on the factory lockers but only 50% on the factory winch. Depends what the price is I guess. I plan on a fairly modest build with the big ticket items that can’t easily be added after the fact (lockers, safari windows, 2nd battery) then adding in other items as they come out in the market.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
The ones with lockers have different axles to the ones that don't.
So the Eaton ones won't fit in the others afterwards without changing the axles.
You would then be relying on an after market company to make diff locks for a low volume Carraro axle and diff.

Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
The ones with lockers have different axles to the ones that don't.
So the Eaton ones won't fit in the others afterwards without changing the axles.
You would then be relying on an after market company to make diff locks for a low volume Carraro axle and diff.
Good to know. Definitely getting lockers :)

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know on 80 series Land Cruisers the OEM locking axle dropout is different than the non-locking version so it is more involved and costly to replace the dropout and everything with it.

For a time I had a 1995 triple locked 80-series Land Cruiser and a 1997 without the axle lockers. Ended up selling the ‘95 due to engine issues and it being in rough shape, but I always wish my ‘97 had them. I’ve been stuck once in it and had to use my ‘95 to get it out. Helped that it had a winch…

So I am 100% on the factory lockers but only 50% on the factory winch. Depends what the price is I guess. I plan on a fairly modest build with the big ticket items that can’t easily be added after the fact (lockers, safari windows, 2nd battery) then adding in other items as they come out in the market.
My plan was to keep the spec as basic as possible however, by time of ordering I had optioned just about everything bar the winch. I kept thinking “how much for safari windows aftermarket? How much for leather aftermarket? Will I regret not having saddle leather items?”. Rough pack, smooth pack, the list went on!!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
I do get them because

- you can not add them later (but only change axles afaik)
- if I once want to or have to sell my car they are a strong selling point
- I want to drive where I want and like to have a safety backup
- within the rough package they are a bargain

Typo

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
I have never needed diff locks in 25 years of Defender ownership however, for the Grenadier I did option them for same reasons as most on this thread.
I haven't needed airbags in 40 years of driving, but if I do, I want them to be there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom