The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Anyone else have a strong oil smell through the cabin vents when stopped?

squarebale

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a Trialmaster with less than 1000 miles on it. I've been experiencing a strong oil / diff fluid smell through the cabin vents whenever I come to a stop. The smell becomes somewhat more intense after the vehicle is warmed up and dissipates quickly as soon as I drive off. It's very strange, but the smell is almost non-existent outside the vehicle. I've found if I turn off the cabin fan as I approach a stop, I don't get the smell in the cabin. Also, I've thoroughly checked for diff and transmission fluid leaks and have found absolutely nothing.

Note Gearbox and Rear Diff Temps are normal.

Anyone have any ideas?

On a side note, I am very sensitive to this particular situation: My previous vehicle, a 2022 Bronco had the transmission destroy itself with less than 2000 miles on it. That issue started with an intermittent burning oil smell, similar to, but not exactly like the smell I'm currently experiencing.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a Trialmaster with less than 1000 miles on it. I've been experiencing a strong oil / diff fluid smell through the cabin vents whenever I come to a stop. The smell becomes somewhat more intense after the vehicle is warmed up and dissipates quickly as soon as I drive off. It's very strange, but the smell is almost non-existent outside the vehicle. I've found if I turn off the cabin fan as I approach a stop, I don't get the smell in the cabin. Also, I've thoroughly checked for diff and transmission fluid leaks and have found absolutely nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

On a side note, I am very sensitive to this particular situation: My previous vehicle, a 2022 Bronco had the transmission destroy itself with less than 2000 miles on it. That issue started with an intermittent burning oil smell, similar to, but not exactly like the smell I'm currently experiencing.
I have had two brand new Mercedes SUVs that I bought right off the show room floor. Both had a recall on them for a bad musty smell through the air con system. The issue was when you washed the car, water could seep into the air filters that cleansed the air before being sent to the inside of the car. So when you changed the air filters the smell would stop and then if the filters got wet and it was warm out you could smell a musty smell. They fixed it somehow. But as a fist option, go to the dealer and ask for an air filter change and see if it comes back.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Hello all!

Anyone have any ideas?

Responding so you know you're not alone!

Long post. This issue drove me nuts so you're getting the full fat response.

1. You might have a leak so get that checked out.

2. My transfer case and oil cooler (left front wing) were replaced when the transfer case ate itself driving home in traffic on the day I took delivery. It was not one of the recalled batch but I got a B spec replacement.
After that repair I had the exact issue you describe. Turning off the cabin fan would stop the smell. The fan was sucking fumes from under the vehicle when stopped but they were being pushed away by airflow when driving.
The dealer thought it was normal new car smell. I was convinced it was gear oil from the oil cooler replacement. I went searching around and found oil pooled in the oil cooler mount (I removed the vented cover from inside the guard), on top of the front protection plate, and an oily film all the way to the back axle. That's a housekeeping issue.
The dealer gave it a wash underneath and I did the same a few times. The smell is gone now (6 months, 3600miles). I kept a very close eye on it to be sure there were no ongoing leaks.

Maybe ask your dealer if they did any work including oil lines before delivery. If able, slide underneath with a clean rag and look for traces of oil, especially on forward facing vertical surfaces down the left (fan intake side). Go for a drive on a dusty road and see where the dust sticks (i.e. roll it in flour ;) ).

Edit: This wasn't just blind luck on my part. I was a qualified mechanic in my first life, many years ago...

Last edited:

squarebale

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Responding so you know you're not alone!

Long post. This issue drove me nuts so you're getting the full fat response.

1. You might have a leak so get that checked out.

2. My transfer case and oil cooler (left front wing) were replaced when the transfer case ate itself driving home in traffic on the day I took delivery. It was not one of the recalled batch but I got a B spec replacement.
After that repair I had the exact issue you describe. Turning off the cabin fan would stop the smell. The fan was sucking fumes from under the vehicle when stopped but they were being pushed away by airflow when driving.
The dealer thought it was normal new car smell. I was convinced it was gear oil from the oil cooler replacement. I went searching around and found oil pooled in the oil cooler mount (I removed the vented cover from inside the guard), on top of the front protection plate, and an oily film all the way to the back axle. That's a housekeeping issue.
The dealer gave it a wash underneath and I did the same a few times. The smell is gone now (6 months, 3600miles). I kept a very close eye on it to be sure there were no ongoing leaks.

Maybe ask your dealer if they did any work including oil lines before delivery. If able, slide underneath with a clean rag and look for traces of oil, especially on forward facing vertical surfaces down the left (fan intake side). Go for a drive on a dusty road and see where the dust sticks (i.e. roll it in flour ;) ).

Edit: This wasn't just blind luck on my part. I was a qualified mechanic in my first life, many years ago...
Thank you, Superman!

I genuinely appreciate knowing I'm not alone here. I'll have another look for pooling oil, and let everyone know what I find.

squarebale

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have had two brand new Mercedes SUVs that I bought right off the show room floor. Both had a recall on them for a bad musty smell through the air con system. The issue was when you washed the car, water could seep into the air filters that cleansed the air before being sent to the inside of the car. So when you changed the air filters the smell would stop and then if the filters got wet and it was warm out you could smell a musty smell. They fixed it somehow. But as a fist option, go to the dealer and ask for an air filter change and see if it comes back.
Thanks, Bum!

I'll have a look at the cabin air filter, as soon as I can find it!

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Thanks, Bum!

I'll have a look at the cabin air filter, as soon as I can find it!
Yeah…sometimes they can be hard to find. My suspicion is that the filter for some weird reason is tainted or contaminated causing the smell. I think it is simple and it happened somehow at the factory by mistake.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Mine had the same issue too.
I got into the habit of turning on the cabin recirculation button so it stopped bringing air in.
I told the dealer who looked at it about 2 months after purchase, and he couldn’t find anything.
I honestly think the issue went away by itself about 3 months after vehicle pickup - so I assumed it was just part of the vehicle running in.

squarebale

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got into the habit of turning on the cabin recirculation button so it stopped bringing air in.
I told the dealer who looked at it about 2 months after purchase, and he couldn’t find anything.
I honestly think the issue went away by itself about 3 months after vehicle pickup - so I assumed it was just part of the vehicle running in.
Thank you for your comment, and thanks again to everyone who offered their thoughts about this issue.

I'm hoping that my issue resolves itself over time, because I've gone stem to stern on my IG and can't find any source of the smell! Everything under the hood, and under the body is bone-dry. No fluid seems to be missing; and temps and operation appears normal.

Other than this minor issue, I love the truck!

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW, I have the faint gear oil smell in the cabin after some driving. Couldn't see any oil leaks anywhere yet.

AWo

Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
I get the strong smell of a burned clutch with the VW Amarok PanAmericana.

5000+ kilometers

Automatic ZF gearbox

AWo

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same experience. Strong smell in the beginning, went away after 1-2 months (daily driver).

Not sure how gear oil smells. I described it more like a gas smell like the one we use in our gas stoves in Sweden (Gasol, it’s odorless but has a distinctive mixed in smell to detect leaks).

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for your comment, and thanks again to everyone who offered their thoughts about this issue.

I'm hoping that my issue resolves itself over time, because I've gone stem to stern on my IG and can't find any source of the smell! Everything under the hood, and under the body is bone-dry. No fluid seems to be missing; and temps and operation appears normal.

Other than this minor issue, I love the truck!
There is a possibility that the smell is coming from the diff breathers.
I experienced the same smell in my New Defender and tracked it down to the diff breathers.
DaBull

squarebale

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello all, and thanks for the responses.

DaBull - I've been thinking the same thing. The smell isn't engine oil, and not quite transmission oil. I'm leaning towards diff oil.

Norb- Heater on or off, no difference. Recirc on, no smell.

The good news (I hope) is that its abated quite a bit the more I drive it. I've got 1500 miles on it, and the smell is *almost* entirely gone.

I just hope this doesn't mean the front diff is dry!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Anyone find the cabin filter yet?
Bottom of the dash/foot area, vertically on the passenger side (if I remember correctly)... Either that or just behind the glovebox

PilotMike

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bottom of the dash/foot area, vertically on the passenger side (if I remember correctly)... Either that or just behind the glovebox
I figured it out. Passenger side right behind the glove box. 2 clips one on each side, filter slides out vertically. You do not have to remove the door, but you have to have your head on the floor to see anything.

Shrooman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks. Need to revive this thread as I’ve experienced the same strong oil smell since delivery last summer (UK). Petrol version. Not noticeable when underway, mild when stationary and strong when reversing. No evidence of dripping or vapor mist on leading edges under vehicle. Now on 7,000 miles so not a motor break-in issue. Not an happy smell. Any solutions found yet?

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah…sometimes they can be hard to find. My suspicion is that the filter for some weird reason is tainted or contaminated causing the smell. I think it is simple and it happened somehow at the factory by mistake.
The cabin air filter sits behind and below the gloves box on the passenger side. You have to press the knobs left and right on the lower side of the frame. With the help of the small paper lash on the filter itself (middle) you will be able to pull it out. Worked?

Back
Top Bottom