The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Any owners regret getting/not getting safari windows?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
I have not regretted not having them. As an opposing view - I do not now and never had a use for them.

But I can confirm that having them does make the internal cabin height seem larger and brighter and you can look at some over lights when parked up closer to the line. I got to drive the same version vehicle as mine but with safari and thought nice skylights.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
A few weeks in , no regrets. I'd regret not having them.
And if the heat bothered me (or if I venture outback one day) , I'd just get them appropriately tinted.
I agree. I loved the look of them but the practicality in WA is questionable. Out on a drive in 37 deg yesterday was very pleased not to have them.

Also not having to deal with another source of glare on the touchscreen or another source of water ingress is a bonus.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
For the equivalent spend between skylights and say, a set of rear drawers, I’m taking the drawers every day.

In say 3650 days of ownership of my sahara I’d guess the sunroof has been open maybe 200 if that. Too hot and glary in this part of the world I think. I’ve currently got a huge gash in my nose from having skin cancer removed, and two recent scars in my leg from similar. I avoid the direct sunlight like a vampire.

Now if I was in Melbourne where you have to give the sun a chance every chance it gets……maybe.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There is no doubt that in most parts of Australia the sun is trying to kill you, especially if you are of Caucasian descent.
But if you have to swim with the sharks , you need protection, and sadly for many that didn't happen back in the day.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is no doubt that in most parts of Australia the sun is trying to kill you, especially if you are of Caucasian descent.
But if you have to swim with the sharks , you need protection, and sadly for many that didn't happen back in the day.
Youre right of course.
the nice thing about the safari roof is that when you open it youre still protected from the sun. The heat and sun rejection from the glass is very good, and it’s not really over your head (obviously you know this tazzieman, just for people deciding).

the impact on the general feel of the cabin is huge. So far, people heading through deserts have not felt the need to block the light off, althouh it is simple enough to do if heat gets extreme.

so, without commenting on how anyone feels about the cost, its a pretty good thing to add, and many of the reasons for being cautious of it have been well addressed.
hpe that helps….

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or a QLD hail storm...

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Really love my safari windows - it adds a new lightness and airy feeling to the experience. No leaks so far. Recommend them.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:03 AM
Reaction score
Youre right of course.
the nice thing about the safari roof is that when you open it youre still protected from the sun. The heat and sun rejection from the glass is very good, and it’s not really over your head (obviously you know this tazzieman, just for people deciding).

the impact on the general feel of the cabin is huge. So far, people heading through deserts have not felt the need to block the light off, althouh it is simple enough to do if heat gets extreme.

so, without commenting on how anyone feels about the cost, its a pretty good thing to add, and many of the reasons for being cautious of it have been well addressed.
hpe that helps….
This mirrors my experience perfectly. The feel of the cabin, it just becomes that much more expansive with the safari windows. I actually called my dealer and modified my order after a drive in a Gren with safari windows. I'll probably hack up a way to get a sunshade for filtered light through them for the times with intense sun.

I have the moon roof on my Volvo xc90 largely for the same reasons. The gren is much more cave like in its cabin up front due to the distance to the front windshield vs the Volvo. A much more pronounced impact of the safari windows.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
This mirrors my experience perfectly. The feel of the cabin, it just becomes that much more expansive with the safari windows. I actually called my dealer and modified my order after a drive in a Gren with safari windows. I'll probably hack up a way to get a sunshade for filtered light through them for the times with intense sun.

I have the moon roof on my Volvo xc90 largely for the same reasons. The gren is much more cave like in its cabin up front due to the distance to the front windshield vs the Volvo. A much more pronounced impact of the safari windows.
I was surprised at how dark the tent was already. But if you want more the great thing is you can just pop them off and slap another layer on them in about 5min each.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Or a QLD hail storm...
Was in one of those in Brisbane in 1985 and vowed that and the heat was something I didn't want to live with in my future.
Piece of ice the size of small dog fell on Doomben raceway and I well recall dealing with a poor old lady in the casualty ("ED") dept covered in facial and arm lacerations from hailstones.
What a mess!
And later wading over knee height across some road through floating garbage to the pub where the water was only ankle deep.

GrenX

Grenadier Owner
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
I went past Tintacar today to check if they can tint the safari windows. They said they do not tint any glass on the roof due to the risk of cracking due to the intense heat. He said tesla owners who have open glass roof have the same problem with heat so people are fitting aftermarket sunshades. So I ordered the Xspec sunshade myself.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went past Tintacar today to check if they can tint the safari windows. They said they do not tint any glass on the roof due to the risk of cracking due to the intense heat. He said tesla owners who have open glass roof have the same problem with heat so people are fitting aftermarket sunshades. So I ordered the Xspec sunshade myself.
Or a thin sheet of polycarbonate, or cut a $10 camping mat, or silvered insulation panel, and a few bits of double sided velcro, or better the smallest 3M wall hanging stuff that comes off without leaving marks…
The professinal magnetised ones I saw unfortunately attached flush with the ceiling rather than flush on the glass, and so lowered the cabin. They also would not have either reflected or insulated heat, only added to shade, and made opening to let heat out a bit clunky.
I expect to open them for a few minutes every time I get into the car on a hot day…

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's odd. It was 44c in Texas at times and never seen this. Maybe it's some cheapo stuff being used but if the inside of a car in a parking lot can reach 120 degrees for basically months on end during the day and there's no issues I don't see how any overhead tint would. But the grenadier comes with tinted glass, at least the one I drove, and at high noon on a sunny day it was a non-event.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This is why most Aussies don't want safari roofs. This is 2 weeks before summer officially starts.
<Storms carrying the risk of heavy rain, large hail and damaging winds are set to hit much of northern and eastern Australia this week while Western Australia bakes under a potential record-breaking November heatwave.>
Luckily I live beneath Australia ;)
heat.JPG

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is why most Aussies don't want safari roofs. This is 2 weeks before summer officially starts.
<Storms carrying the risk of heavy rain, large hail and damaging winds are set to hit much of northern and eastern Australia this week while Western Australia bakes under a potential record-breaking November heatwave.>
View attachment 7833331
Safari in QLD - either too hot and they do not help, too dusty, too smokey from fires and then to top it off they let in all the other vehicles particulates from old fuel guzzlers. Or it rains or hails and then still no use! Full sized roof rack is the pay off!

Taz - I was driving to work 7:30am the other day and it was 31deg... gross.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Safari in QLD - either too hot and they do not help, too dusty, too smokey from fires and then to top it off they let in all the other vehicles particulates from old fuel guzzlers. Or it rains or hails and then still no use! Full sized roof rack is the pay off!

Taz - I was driving to work 7:30am the other day and it was 31deg... gross.
When I was in Bris in '96 for a 2 week course in December I walked 1.5km each morning at 7.30 to the hospital/med school. We spent the mornings studying difficult cases in a room with no aircon. Gross.
When I was at the RBH on an elective in '85, there was a part of the hospital filled with post op rehab and old folk. No aircon , they just lay there in pools of sweat.
At the time I even thought "this is what it must have been like back in the day".
Even for 1985 it was a bit primitive.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7833331
You are floating in a boat south of Tassie or do you mean you live below{I am not saying under]the rarefied cultured mainland?:ROFLMAO: My series II has no roof but a trampoline-type shade cover for normal days and you don't head out if the BOM is telling of storms...yes we have a canvas cover just in case we're caught out...no safari windows for me but they look great(y)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Tassy is only politically Australia.
Geologically different, and we don't wear pluggers on bushwalks.

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom