The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Any owners regret getting/not getting safari windows?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
While going through my older pictures, I found one of the lower drain tube of the Safari windows, that I removed to try to located where my water infiltration comes from. Definitely NOT from that tube!
20230505_174830.jpg
The water on the footwell didn't come from (removing) the tube.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
While going through my older pictures, I found one of the lower drain tube of the Safari windows, that I removed to try to located where my water infiltration comes from. Definitely NOT from that tube!
View attachment 7819042
Looks like you could hook up your hydroponic system to that!

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
I spent a fair bit of time weighing up the inclusion of the Safari Windows.

In the end I said No to them.

Pro - They look very cool....

Cons - In a West Australian summer you would want a shade blind of some description (defeats purpose!)
- Just another failure point of seals and water ingress
- Additional reflections on the center screen from light off clothing
- Prefer window down to sunroof open
- Could not see a reason why I would want to have the roof open.
- Preferred to put $3k towards the cost of the winch
- This is a long term ownership vehicle so resale was not a consideration

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7819042
Shouldn't there be a rubber "o" ring on that connector to achieve a water tight joint??

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didnt opt the windows because I couldn't afford them. I would however llove a map pocket to install in safari window area one day, hoping after market comes to the table. Those with safari windows, I'm sure could easily adapt something to install when not using the windows.

Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
I didnt opt the windows because I couldn't afford them. I would however llove a map pocket to install in safari window area one day, hoping after market comes to the table. Those with safari windows, I'm sure could easily adapt something to install when not using the windows.
Ohhh that could be cool. Extra storage/etc in those ceiling spaces, neat idea. FWIW I ended up adding the windows to my pre-order, still not really sure if I want them (coastal SC is a sub-tropical environment and it rains a decent amount) but I waned it for resale too. Not that I'm planning on getting rid of it anytime soon, but if I have to haul it 5 hours to dealer too many times it's gone.

Reactions: jwb

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be a rubber "o" ring on that connector to achieve a water tight joint??
I don't think it really is necessary, because there is, if I remember well another plastic (rubber?) connection point at the upper side

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
- Preferred to put $3k towards the cost of the winch
Have you queried the rope length for the winch with your dealer? I've read its 10M on UK builds but possibly longer for Oz.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
I gave them a lot of thought but decided against them and no regrets about the decision. They are neat looking and probably effective in pulling heat out of the vehicle however, potential water egress issues, my never using sunroofs/moonroofs despite them being on all 3 of my current vehicles, and there being no cover to completely block out the sunlight. Also, I do wonder if it might be a tad noisier inside with the safari windows.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7819042
I was doing some minor modification on my safari windows to stop it rattling when open and also cleaning out the (safari roof) rain channels. There is surprisingly a lot of dust, pollen and debris. Water collects in the rain channels and flows out through the drain hole at the front. Mine doesn’t leak and works great and would definitely spec this option purely for light and ventilation for my dogs.

My observation, it is possible that this drain hole looks like it’s glued in using black silicone. This is a possible water entry point if the glue has failed. As well the hoses attached to it.

Attachments

• 002344D9-1C5E-4680-A715-55DCADA7B6FA.jpeg
    002344D9-1C5E-4680-A715-55DCADA7B6FA.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 74

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My observation, it is possible that this drain hole looks like it’s glued in using black silicone. This is a possible water entry point if the glue has failed. As well the hoses attached to it.
Absolutely right, but concerning my water infiltration and "glued hole" I visually checked it and it looks OK. But I'll check it again when I get my car back from my dealer.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7819042
Thats a beefy drain tube. Probably a good thing

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ohhh that could be cool. Extra storage/etc in those ceiling spaces, neat idea. FWIW I ended up adding the windows to my pre-order, still not really sure if I want them (coastal SC is a sub-tropical environment and it rains a decent amount) but I waned it for resale too. Not that I'm planning on getting rid of it anytime soon, but if I have to haul it 5 hours to dealer too many times it's gone.
Agree just like my old Disco.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We have hot, long stretches in Birmingham (May through September) and I still specced the safari windows with the following plan: (1) after testing in early summer, I will get them dialed in with an appropriate window tint; (2) if that fails, Solarscreen should have a decent screen for them by then or some other aftermarket vendor will step up, as described in this thread; and (3) I am hoping my selected roof top tent will provide a little sun cover while still allowing the windows to open. It's all a crap shoot at this point and I'm okay with rolling the dice. I've also previously gone on record as saying the safari windows are the soul of the vehicle, so I better put my money where my mouth is. 😅

Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
I ordered them....
Mostly because it's cool....Well hot.....
Im in Tucson Az and fully expect to darken them out but I just couldnt resist how cool looking it is and its a plus you can take them off or open them.
Rain isnt really a big consideration for me.
:)

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have them and I think they are one of the best features of the grenadier. I’m tall so they help reduce the lower horizon line of the main windscreen and give the feeling of slightly opening up the cabin . I have had no leaks to report and they have been seriously tested recently !
If they do leak in the future …I’ll fix them…now that I have lived with them I appreciate them way more than I thought I would to be honest .

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A few weeks in , no regrets. I'd regret not having them.
And if the heat bothered me (or if I venture outback one day) , I'd just get them appropriately tinted.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No leaks, no issues, I live in a country.. that is rather opposite to AUS. .. grey.. .. so more light in the cabin, there is no leaking or whatsover. I wanted the Safaris and yes they were a must. No regret having them. No issues .. / reflections what so ever..

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
This was the first year I know of where the 10 day forecast was 100+F. Generally 104+ for the whole time. I went with the windows. They are surprisingly well tinted, like a tesla, but popping them open actually vents the hot air out and makes a very quick difference.

Back
Top Bottom