The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Am I missing something?

Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
OK Folks am I missing something here I can spec up a Station wagon to Belstaff trim its cheaper and is less to tax first and subsequent years?????????As far as I can tell there is no difference except no jacket and Tax class.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lower speed limits per N1 apply, meaning 30mph in built up areas, 50mph on single and 60mph on dual carriageways. Motorway speeds are the same as cars, 70mph, unless you're towing a trailer, which lowers it to 60mph.

I suspect the configurator may well be a little suspect in that if you take up the NCO of rear windows instead of panels, the vehicle may be classed as M1, an ordinary passenger car, with rather different VED, tax class and speed limits.  

ie Proceed with Care!

Local time
Reaction score
Cant seem to get an answer  to this NI M1 question or is it a DualPurpose vehicle. will ask Ineos

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
CountyV8 said:
OK Folks am I missing something here I can spec up a Station wagon to Belstaff trim its cheaper and is less to tax first and subsequent years?????????As far as I can tell there is no difference except no jacket and Tax class.

Hi CountyV8 where on the website are you getting the tax/VED classification info from? I see 'The standard five-seat Grenadier Station Wagon is certified as a commercial vehicle and is fitted with a cargo barrier, to provide the optimum balance between payload and passenger carrying capability' statement but I don't see anything related to M1/N1 classification for the base SW model?

I once bought a 110 SW that has been registered from new as a commercial vehicle and it was great, £110 road tax per year! It was back in 2015. If I'd known that the value would just keep going up I'd have kept a hold of it ?

Local time
Reaction score
Hi got the tax class info from Ineos its N1 so if you spec a Station wagon up to Belstaff spec the first registration is £2300 instead of £290+50 for the N1 then its £500 a year Tax for the Belstaff and £290 for the N1 station wagon. Thats £2800 cheaper over 5 years for virtually the same vehicle minus a jacket .

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Arkaig said:
Lower speed limits per N1 apply, meaning 30mph in built up areas, 50mph on single and 60mph on dual carriageways. Motorway speeds are the same as cars, 70mph, unless you're towing a trailer, which lowers it to 60mph.

I suspect the configurator may well be a little suspect in that if you take up the NCO of rear windows instead of panels, the vehicle may be classed as M1, an ordinary passenger car, with rather different VED, tax class and speed limits.  

ie Proceed with Care!

There is no requirement for the rear windows to be blanked off to qualify as N1.

Its all about the payload distribution between passengers and cargo, the size of the cargo area in relation to the vehicles wheelbase, the amount and position of tiedown points, the size of the loading aperture (rear doors), and the Guard to separate and secure the passengers and the cargo.

This is why the 5 seat utility model has seating position further forward and more upright, to adhere to these requirements

Its all laid out in the criteria for classification of vehicles in category N, found in Annex II of 2007/46/EC

Local time
Reaction score
Yes I believe the Sw has more tie down points

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
CountyV8 said:
Hi got the tax class info from Ineos its N1 so if you spec a Station wagon up to Belstaff spec the first registration is £2300 instead of £290+50 for the N1 then its £500 a year Tax for the Belstaff and £290 for the N1 station wagon. Thats £2800 cheaper over 5 years for virtually the same vehicle minus a jacket .

Well I’ll be darned! That’s a massive selling point if that’s true. I could’ve specced a fancy 2-tone paint job on the order if I’d known I had an extra £2k in the budget. 

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Spjnr Spjnr userid=8443805 postid=1332692235]

There is no requirement for the rear windows to be blanked off to qualify as N1.

Its all about the payload distribution between passengers and cargo, the size of the cargo area in relation to the vehicles wheelbase, the amount and position of tiedown points, the size of the loading aperture (rear doors), and the Guard to separate and secure the passengers and the cargo.

This is why the 5 seat utility model has seating position further forward and more upright, to adhere to these requirements

Its all laid out in the criteria for classification of vehicles in category N, found in Annex II of 2007/46/EC[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying.

It remains that lower speed limits per N1 apply, meaning particularly with the prevalence of average speed cameras, 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways. Motorway speeds are the same as cars, 70mph, unless you're towing a trailer, which lowers it to 60mph.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Arkaig said:
Thanks for clarifying.

It remains that lower speed limits per N1 apply, meaning particularly with the prevalence of average speed cameras, 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways. Motorway speeds are the same as cars, 70mph, unless you're towing a trailer, which lowers it to 60mph.

None of those figures seem to apply to anyone in a white panel van ?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
G-Man said:
None of those figures seem to apply to anyone in a white panel van 
1f60f.png

Or anyone at all infact. I've never heard of people being pulled for doing over the limit of N1 but in the limit of M1.

Something to be aware of, but really not a deal breaker. Every v6 amarok driver would be on a ban now otherwise ??

Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
The 60mph limit for N1 whilst towing doesn't seem to apply either to a lot of large pickups either!.
Oh and wait until you come to sell, you'll maybe find that comercials hold their value a lot better, at least it used to be the case here in the UK 

Fugawi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or anyone at all infact. I've never heard of people being pulled for doing over the limit of N1 but in the limit of M1.

Something to be aware of, but really not a deal breaker. Every v6 amarok driver would be on a ban now otherwise ??
It's a valid point and one that always bothers me as a commercial driver with a lead foot. In over 20 yrs of driving mainly LR commercials and an odd DCPU at car limits it's never happened. Each time I change a vehicle or pass new cameras I think is my luck gonna change. Changed to a new Defender Commercial last year and my daily commute covers a 5 mile stretch with av speed cams. I set the cruise to 62mph (on a 60 limit road) and never had a ticket?:unsure:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
I can confirm that I have met someone who has been done for speeding 70 mph in a 70 zone !!

They we’re driving a pick-up

That said, that’s one person in how many and I drive a pick-up and still drive at the normal speed limits..never had a ticket.

Most of the automated systems don‘t care what class of vehicle it is, just that it’s not going over the speed limit that has been set.

I played with the SW but went for the Trialmaster. In some sort of belief it may hold its value batter, this was based on a wild guess though.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess the law is the law but that chap was very unlucky.

I would hope most traffic police (presume not camera or that is really bad news) would concentrate on idiotic driving rather than a commercial going at the national speed limit.

Fugawi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not a big fan of Truss but when she mentioned abolishing motorway speed limits last week she did go up IMO 😂

Back
Top Bottom