The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aftermarket tinting on laminated glass

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
The Gren windshield is Toughened, not Laminated, just like the other windows on all the doors. The only Laminated ones are the cargo area side windows. The etchings in the corners of the windows for the Manufacturer Pilkington, that is their brand names for those two different types of glass.
OK, I understand that but I believe my point/question still stands. If I, as well as others, can tint their laminated glass…doesn’t matter if it’s the windshield or rear corner windows, laminated glass is laminated glass, right?

So what makes the IG laminated glass different or has Expel changed something, because if it’s really because laminated glass needs to breath, I’d imagine that would affect all tint film, not just Expel.

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
Last week I just tinted all of my side windows and rear window with ceramic film from STEK using the 35% tint level. Currently there are no issues with the tinting.

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just ask another tint shop.
They said they would still do it, if I wanted, but they were convinced about the bubbling on the rear windows. It is a high end shop too: https://www.sjshopct.com/about-2-1 not some fly by night, back of an industrial park tint shop so it gave me pause…. My Ineos dealer has not heard of anyone reporting any bubbling from aftermarket tint, granted it has only been a couple of months since any have been stateside. I inquired with Pilkington corporate about this, but have yet to hear back…. I will probably still ask them to do it, it is only $250 for non ceramic Xpel tint. If I have to get the cargo side windows re done at some point if they do bubble, it wont be a big deal…

ShawnPitt

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Not exactly on topic....but I just had my windows tinted with Lenex 20%. Now, when I look in the rearview mirror I get almost a mirror like reflection off the cargo window. So at night I see headlights behind me but also pick up the road markers(and the airbag lights that are below the mirror are there and distracting). I went back to the window tint guy and he's going to ask around to see if any installers he knows have ever seen this. I did google and found a couple mentions from G Wagon owners blaming it on the flat back window, but so are Jeeps as my installer pointed out and he's never heard of this.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not exactly on topic....but I just had my windows tinted with Lenex 20%. Now, when I look in the rearview mirror I get almost a mirror like reflection off the cargo window. So at night I see headlights behind me but also pick up the road markers(and the airbag lights that are below the mirror are there and distracting). I went back to the window tint guy and he's going to ask around to see if any installers he knows have ever seen this. I did google and found a couple mentions from G Wagon owners blaming it on the flat back window, but so are Jeeps as my installer pointed out and he's never heard of this.
This is another reason why a rearview camera mirror is so good in these trucks. I was having the same reflections at night where the brake/tail lights in front of me bounce off the rear glass onto the stock rearview mirror, making the rearview even less useful.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had this when I went to dark tint (5%) on the rear window of our '21 Tundra

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. I have the same issue. I had Xpel 20 ceramic on all rear windows and have the same issue. It’s not real bad but there.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same. Not as bad as you’re describing but on my Raptor, the rear glass would reflect many of lights on the buttons at night.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
They said they would still do it, if I wanted, but they were convinced about the bubbling on the rear windows. It is a high end shop too: https://www.sjshopct.com/about-2-1 not some fly by night, back of an industrial park tint shop so it gave me pause…. My Ineos dealer has not heard of anyone reporting any bubbling from aftermarket tint, granted it has only been a couple of months since any have been stateside. I inquired with Pilkington corporate about this, but have yet to hear back…. I will probably still ask them to do it, it is only $250 for non ceramic Xpel tint. If I have to get the cargo side windows re done at some point if they do bubble, it wont be a big deal…

I am not expert, not even close, but if the glass is off gassing then I would have thought the bubbling would be a long term issue as opposed to a short term thing over just a few months.

I have the factory tint and I also get the reflections of the main infotainment screen when I look in the mirror off the back window. So you aftermarket guys are not on your own with reflections

Back
Top Bottom