The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aftermarket tinting on laminated glass

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
I went to an Xpel certified tint shop to get non ceramic tint installed. The installer said the laminated windows in the cargo area will definitely bubble if you tint them. Anyone who had aftermarket tint added also told this or noticed any bubbling and a few months?

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
What do you mean, laminated rear window?

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
And its not on the surface, so why would it bubble?

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
According to the Xpel tech, the tint will bubble on the laminated windows due to the release of gas. The non laminated windows would be fine

Jimxyz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
Interesting. We had tint applied about two weeks ago and so far it looks great. No mention of potential bubbles from the shop. Total job was around $500 if anyone wants to compare. (SoCal)

IMG_0300.jpeg

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. We had tint applied about two weeks ago and so far it looks great. No mention of potential bubbles from the shop. Total job was around $500 if anyone wants to compare. (SoCal)

View attachment 7840861
Is this Xpel tint? Why they told me this, I held off on getting the tint for now, but they also said the two rear door windows also felt laminated when you knock on them. They are labeled Toughened, the same as the other door windows though. They also said that the glass of the rear defroster windows can be damaged by the tint when removing it if it bubbles. They even called Xpel corporate about it. I am still suspicious of what they were telling me.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They also said that the glass of the rear defroster windows can be damaged by the tint when removing it if it bubbles.
This is true of any tint on any window with defroster lines

Jimxyz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is this Xpel tint? Why they told me this, I held off on getting the tint for now, but they also said the two rear door windows also felt laminated when you knock on them. They are labeled Toughened, the same as the other door windows though. They also said that the glass of the rear defroster windows can be damaged by the tint when removing it if it bubbles. They even called Xpel corporate about it. I am still suspicious of what they were telling me.
I believe it is Llumar CTX ceramic film.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7840861
It appears that your vehicle is now illegal in CA.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Based on a long Reddit thread, the pano roofs on the Teslas (and perhaps some front windows?) are laminated, and the only issue chatted about in there is that the film can only dissipate the heat it captures to the innermost pane of glass (instead of the full thickness of the glass), which means it ends up dumping some of the heat into the interior (minimizing the heat blocking properties of the film).

I've had many vehicles tinted, but I'm not a tint professional in any stretch of the definition.

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Mine have been tinted from June, no signs of bubbles or other defects to date.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went to an Xpel certified tint shop to get non ceramic tint installed. The installer said the laminated windows in the cargo area will definitely bubble if you tint them. Anyone who had aftermarket tint added also told this or noticed any bubbling and a few months?
That’s interesting. I had a light ceramic tint (IIRC Expel) on my Raptor windshield in 2017. Sold it Dec2022 and never had any issues. I didn’t even realize that was a thing with laminated glass🤷🏻‍♂️

People get their windshields done often and they’re all laminated🤔

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's a great point I didn't even think of, we've had every windshield in the past 8-9 years tinted (Llumar Air Blue 80) without any problems (even with double sided stuff stuck to it like a dash cam or toll tag). Never once had an installer bat an eye at it

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine have been tinted from June, no signs of bubbles or other defects to date.

That’s interesting. I had a light ceramic tint (IIRC Expel) on my Raptor windshield in 2017. Sold it Dec2022 and never had any issues. I didn’t even realize that was a thing with laminated glass🤷🏻‍♂️

The Gren windshield is Toughened, not Laminated, just like the other windows on all the doors. The only Laminated ones are the cargo area side windows. The etchings in the corners of the windows for the Manufacturer Pilkington, that is their brand names for those two different types of glass.

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
No bubbles on any of the tinted windows, and heated rear windows none either.

Attachments

• IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom