The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

15% price increase? Bulls**t

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Holy cow. The base 4-door Wrangler Rubicon in the US is under $47K (about 39.5K GBP)! The diesel adds about $3,500 but still, that's way less that 61 GBP!

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
Yep! Now you can see how the Grenadier at £60k with a 3.0l turbo diesel is good value. A top spec Toyota Hilux is now £48k, and that's got a 4cylinder 2.8 diesel.

Local time
Reaction score
Exactly. It can cut both ways. This is why I think some models go up scale for more $s when they can't match the competition's price point.

The IG may not be luxury (to some) but it will be "different" and niche. Maybe that will be enough in the US for it to sell at the price IG chooses.

Sure would be nice if it were priced like a Jeep (over here) but we know that aint never gonna happen !

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly. It can cut both ways. This is why I think some models go up scale for more $s when they can't match the competition's price point.

Yep that pretty much sums up the new defender. They couldn't compete with the Japanese pickups for price, so turned it into an SUV, loaded it with leather and plush toys and marketed it as a luxury school bus. Now it sells in a completely different segment to its predecessor, to a completely different customer.

In the meantime, Said Japanese pickups have risen in price, and the Grenadier now splits the difference.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
We in Germany and probably all over Europe, including the nice island with its own sense of humour, often become aware how incredible cheap US cars are in the USA compared with the prices in Europe. Of course those prices are mostly without tax in the states but this might be reason why - at least me - European members of the forum didn’t get the right spin out of this thread. It sounded a little bit unreflective in the first glance. Nevertheless I feel with anybody who is disappointed that the prices will go up.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well said @bemax - none of the prices quoted in the US on manufacturers websites include any taxes or on the road fees (plates, insurance, etc.). We are fortunate, however, that our sales tax is less than half of UK VAT; here in NJ, we 6.625% tax on cars.

Local time
Reaction score
I feel very sorry for our US brothers who have shown so much enthusiasm and have so far been deprived of the opportunity to put their money down and fix the price. I have to admit that if my price had increased I would probably have called it a day. As it stands I am fortunate enough in still being able to look forward to delivery in March/April.
From what I understand the lower pricing is held for orders placed up to November 9- after that the Uk price for the Trailmaster went from 59K GBP to 69k GBP and there are increases in accessories and add-ons. I built one on the UK site and ran a currency conversion for that day- My Trailmaster is coming out to about $80K US- If I get rid of the odds and ends I wanted I can get it down to about 74K. smfh

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
From what I understand the lower pricing is held for orders placed up to November 9- after that the Uk price for the Trailmaster went from 59K GBP to 69k GBP and there are increases in accessories and add-ons. I built one on the UK site and ran a currency conversion for that day- My Trailmaster is coming out to about $80K US- If I get rid of the odds and ends I wanted I can get it down to about 74K. smfh
Are you using the £69k or first stripping out the £3,244 of on the road costs that would not be applicable to you?

Local time
Reaction score
Yep. Plus overseas shipping, duty (?) and any other costs that might apply in your situation.

One piece of good news is, I built a base Fieldmaster on the Australian site and the line item for shipping was ~500 USD, on the South African site it was ~ 250 USD. Not bad when you consider what we are charged within NA for domestic built. I had been thinking US/Can Gren shipping might be 2K USD...

Anyway, obviously we don't' know future pricing. Personally, if it is a must have, I think it would be prudent to budget more than 80K ... maybe 100K. If that's 'out the door' price, even better.

Unlikely I'll be buying one at 100K tho. But some will, without apology.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
Yep. Plus overseas shipping, duty (?) and any other costs that might apply in your situation.

One piece of good news is, I built a base Fieldmaster on the Australian site and the line item for shipping was ~500 USD, on the South African site it was ~ 250 USD. Not bad when you consider what we are charged within NA for domestic built. I had been thinking US/Can Gren shipping might be 2K USD...

Anyway, obviously we don't' know future pricing. Personally, if it is a must have, I think it would be prudent to budget more than 80K ... maybe 100K. If that's 'out the door' price, even better.

I have a similar quote for the transport to Germany in my contract. So the transport costs maybe are just for the road transport within a country. As far as I know the seafright for a car is far more than 500 € or $.1668711996044.png

Local time
Reaction score

I was originally interested in the grenadier because of the 50k price point. I was checking every source daily to get every bit of info. I've come to realize that i can't even afford a 50k car, much less an 80k car so my plan now is to buy a 2013 LR4 if I can find one for 15k or less. My message is, don't get consumed by something that isn't a necessity that you put yourself in a poor financial situation.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I was originally interested in the grenadier because of the 50k price point. I was checking every source daily to get every bit of info. I've come to realize that i can't even afford a 50k car, much less an 80k car so my plan now is to buy a 2013 LR4 if I can find one for 15k or less. My message is, don't get consumed by something that isn't a necessity that you put yourself in a poor financial situation.
Get some Compomotive rims, Toyo AT III's on there with a Prospeed rack and ladder and you'll love it.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Get some Compomotive rims, Toyo AT III's on there with a Prospeed rack and ladder and you'll love it.
+1 on the Compos. Bloody awesome

Attachments

• 5C351CB2-801A-4B3F-8058-F2041E1C73C6.jpeg
    5C351CB2-801A-4B3F-8058-F2041E1C73C6.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 20

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a similar quote for the transport to Germany in my contract. So the transport costs maybe are just for the road transport within a country. As far as I know the seafright for a car is far more than 500 € or $.View attachment 7796216
Notionally then it's more expensive to move it from Hambach to Germany than Hambach to England!

Screenshot_20221111_184912.jpg

There would appear to be what the industry euphemistically calls "variable marketing costs" at play.

Local time
Reaction score
Mate got a set of them on his D4, great looking wheel, but first time in the pyrenees he got stuck and spun them up in stony mud. Looked like they'd been hit with a wire wheel 😂😂
All of mine are battle scarred- the first one hurts- all you think what they cost$$$- after that you remember why you got them to begin with.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom