The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

15% price increase? Bulls**t

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score

This is bullsh**t I’ve been a long term supporter and they want to up prices before they’ve even made their first delivery? Component prices were HIGHER and supply chain issues were much WORSE, and transportation cost much higher (fuel as well as ships quarantining) when they released the past price sheets. This is the kind of crap Riviian pulled. Maybe not quite as bad but they’ve jacking up the prices AFTER the issues have largely been resolved. Oil is down $20/barrel and foundarys are largely on pace now. This announcement happening now and not six months ago makes zero sense.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score

This is bullsh**t I’ve been a long term supporter and they want to up prices before they’ve even made their first delivery? Component prices were HIGHER and supply chain issues were much WORSE, and transportation cost much higher (fuel as well as ships quarantining) when they released the past price sheets. This is the kind of crap Riviian pulled. Maybe not quite as bad but they’re jacking up the prices AFTER the issues have largely been resolved.
What was the price of your configuration before the price increase?
How much has it gone up?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What was the price of your configuration before the price increase?
How much has it gone up?
You can read the article. I haven’t had a final price as of yet. That’s besides the point. They released price sheets and multiple times in their mission statement said they didn’t want to be like other companies and were going to hold true to their pricing. Now they’re not and they’re using an excuse that is suspect at best because every aspect of their reasoning was much worse than when they released their price sheets. Makes me wonder about the solvency of the company now. I’ve seen this too often in other companies. They were supposed to be different.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
I feel very sorry for our US brothers who have shown so much enthusiasm and have so far been deprived of the opportunity to put their money down and fix the price. I have to admit that if my price had increased I would probably have called it a day. As it stands I am fortunate enough in still being able to look forward to delivery in March/April.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You can read the article. I haven’t had a final price as of yet. That’s besides the point. They released price sheets and multiple times in their mission statement said they didn’t want to be like other companies and were going to hold true to their pricing. Now they’re not and they’re using an excuse that is suspect at best because every aspect of their reasoning was much worse than when they released their price sheets. Makes me wonder about the solvency of the company now. I’ve seen this too often in other companies. They were supposed to be different.
I have one on order and If I look in the configurator it looks like my price has gone up
Ineos Asia Pacific MD old me last Thursday that my price would not change from my ordered price.
Regardless of what the website shows.
I understand it must be frustrating in the US that you can't order yet, but if you don't actually have prices, or even true specifications yet, then you can't possibly have a price increase to be concerned about
As I have mentioned previously on another vehicle we are purchasing for my wife they have stated here is the current price and even if you place an order it can still go up and will be recalculated just before you take delivery.
That would really piss me off.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
I definitely appreciate the frustration! I also am wondering if the comments from a month or so ago about how a person would be “hard pressed to break $100k for a fully spec’d up US model” still ring true.

I’m not at all surprised by the increase - I don’t like it but given everything I actually expect more increases in the future because this one looks too low to keep up with the market. Already shared these thoughts in more depth here and there are a lot of good perspectives from others in the below thread to consider.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I feel very sorry for our US brothers who have shown so much enthusiasm and have so far been deprived of the opportunity to put their money down and fix the price. I have to admit that if my price had increased I would probably have called it a day. As it stands I am fortunate enough in still being able to look forward to delivery in March/April.
Are you sure yours hasn’t increased?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have one on order and If I look in the configurator it looks like my price has gone up
Ineos Asia Pacific MD old me last Thursday that my price would not change from my ordered price.
Regardless of what the website shows.
I understand it must be frustrating in the US that you can't order yet, but if you don't actually have prices, or even true specifications yet, then you can't possibly have a price increase to be concerned about
As I have mentioned previously on another vehicle we are purchasing for my wife they have stated here is the current price and even if you place an order it can still go up and will be recalculated just before you take delivery.
That would really piss me off.
What are you going on about? I can’t be upset they’re upping pricing after stating they wouldn’t? That they’re saying it’s because of shipping and component cost even though they have gone down since releasing the spec sheet. They sold me on the vehicle by being true to 4x4 people but then up the price after saying they wouldn’t. I’m not angry at a price. A price is a price. I’m angry they said they wouldn’t do something then did it. This is a big red flag and speaks to their customer commitment. They touted it this whole time as being “X” dollars which makes me think it was all for free publicity when the reality is no one is going to get it for that. Even in the article they mention their reasoning being the presales booking volume is so high. What happened to the 15k cap?! They let it roll to see where demand would be then decided to up the price and it’s not because of transportation cost or component availability. THAT is the pissoff.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What are you going on about? I can’t be upset they’re upping pricing after stating they wouldn’t? That they’re saying it’s because of shipping and component cost even though they have gone down since releasing the spec sheet. They sold me on the vehicle by being true to 4x4 people but then up the price after saying they wouldn’t. I’m not angry at a price. A price is a price. I’m angry they said they wouldn’t do something then did it. This is a big red flag and speaks to their customer commitment. They touted it this whole time as being “X” dollars which makes me think it was all for free publicity when the reality is no one is going to get it for that. Even in the article they mention their reasoning being the presales booking volume is so high. What happened to the 15k cap?! They let it roll to see where demand would be then decided to up the price and it’s not because of transportation cost or component availability. THAT is the pissoff.
I don't want to get in an argument with you as you are entitled to be pissed off by whatever you want to be.
When I first saw prices in Australia would start at $AUD84.5k (USD$56K) I thought it would be a good looking but crap vehicle at that price.
At time of order I am paying $AUD121K ($USD81.2K) and I think it is a bargain.
New pricing puts it at AUD$134K and still a bargain

This is on the US website

1668194887501.png
Price increases in Australia over the last two years have been crazy
1668195272632.png

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Again, the cost doesn’t matter as to why it’s BS. How do you feel about them giving a very low number to use as a marketing ploy knowing they were going to increase the cost before anyone even received one? How do you feel about them stating they weren’t increasing pricing but did? How do you feel about them stating it’s because of high volume ordering (which would lower shipment cost) but told everyone “we’re only doing 15k so jump on the wagon”? I’m pissed because they haven’t held true to anything they’ve stated they would this far and are still using excuses like supply chain issues when those are resolved. Are they so narrow sighted that during the height of Covid they could still release pricing and promise to hold to that but someone can’t once pricing has started going down? What it’s worth to you is what it’s worth to you. Not to me or anyone else. I’m not talking about the actual value but the renigging on things because they decided they’d rather be greedy than have their word be worth something. They stated their past pricing was the pricing and it was calculated at the current market conditions. Things have gone down since then so where is this pricing coming from? What’s more expensive now? Don’t play on my intelligence. That’s the piss off. They sold more reservations then they said they would, looked at the numbers, then decided to up the price and and it had jack shit to do with transportation costs unless they were completely ignorant from the start. What happens when you have a warranty claim? Do they even give a warranty or is it like a Suzuki outboard boat motor who claimed to have the best warranty but turns out they treat it like an insurance claim through a third party that does does everything they can to deny service and that’s after it’s sat at the shop waiting to hear back? Anyone, which is all of us, that read their published material and heard their PR speeches should be upset right now that they threw it all out because the preorder booking numbers looked good.

I don't want to get in an argument with you as you are entitled to be pissed off by whatever you want to be.
When I first saw prices in Australia would start at $AUD84.5k (USD$56K) I thought it would be a good looking but crap vehicle at that price.
At time of order I am paying $AUD121K ($USD81.2K) and I think it is a bargain.
New pricing puts it at AUD$134K and still a bargain

This is on the US website

View attachment 7795835
Price increases in Australia over the last two years have been crazy
View attachment 7795837

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I am confused here somewhat

Flyingtexan. Can you tell me how much the vehicle price quoted by Ineos was for the model and spec you want originally and how much it is now IA have put the prices up ??

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
FlyingTexan,

What’s your grocery bill looking like these days as compared to two years ago? Seems pretty clear to me why the price is going up.

Option 1) Ineos raises prices as a result of the worldwide inflation issue, just like literally every other auto manufacturer is doing.

Option 2) they lose money on every vehicle sold and the business isn’t viable and it shutters.

Which decision would you have made?

Feel free to be pissed off and go buy a different truck (which will cost you as much as 90% more than it used to based on the info provided by DaveB) but you are accusing the company of doing a bait and switch because “prices have come down” and thus the increase is not justified — I’d love to see an example of literally anything except stocks and houses that are cheaper now than they were two years ago. Again - I don’t like the price increase in EU/Aus either..but I’m actually surprised it’s not way worse at this stage given the way things are right now.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t want to sound like I am bashing Flyingtexan, as he is clearly pi**ed of enough already (as would I be).

However, I am not sure how many British and more than likely European car drivers start ranting about American produced cars that are way much more to buy in the UK than they are in America.

There is a well known American made work boot company that are now well liked as a fashion brand worldwide. The boots in America are not a bad price. However in the UK they are £300 a pair (two IA alloy wheels worth).

My point is it’s a two way street and all these manufacturers will quote importation costs….for a reason !

I think our American cousins might also have a shock when the American IG main dealers get involved. I hear they like to throw MSRP’s out the window and charge whatever they feel like.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@Shaky, thank you for stating that - @FlyingTexan it’s not my intent to bash you either. I get why you’d be pissed (and why many others are pissed). You’ve been surprised by the price increase — I am not, but I’ve been following this thing for a while and am a bit of a political science nerd (Economics was my best grade in college….in fact my final grade in Econ was nearly twice as high as my next highest one that year…) so I tend to follow the machinations of the world economy as a hobby, and as a result I’m not shocked by the price increase.

Price increase that is a surprise = rage <—- lots of people. I get it.
Price increase that is expected = disappointment <—- me

For me, I was pretty pissed when the Wrangler diesel ended up being a $12k option after over a decade of waiting for that, and even more pissed when I needed to replace my Rubicon and found that Gladiators were north of $80k because of local markups, when the rig was supposed to be around $65k. That’s why I ended up in the rig I’m in right now - Jeep (and predatory dealers) left a sour taste in my mouth, so I went with a used GMC instead — and I was just shopping, I wasn’t even that committed to being in a Jeep. So I do get it.

It can be hard to read tone in a post but my previous post was meant from a place of me shrugging my shoulders from a “What can you do” perspective. I hope it wasn’t taken any other way, Texan!

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Too true, Tazzieman!

I’m going to log off and go for a ride on the adventure vehicle I already own that is (mostly) paid for rather than worry about the one I might see in a few years time for who knows how much money. I’d encourage everyone to do the same - my experience is that fresh air and adventure makes these little problems seem much littler.

(Especially if the adventure goes wrong…I won’t be worried about the Gren pricing if I’m stuck in a bog in the back of beyond! :D)

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
Are you sure yours hasn’t increased?
Too true, Tazzieman!

I’m going to log off and go for a ride on the adventure vehicle I already own that is (mostly) paid for rather than worry about the one I might see in a few years time for who knows how much money. I’d encourage everyone to do the same - my experience is that fresh air and adventure makes these little problems seem much littler.

(Especially if the adventure goes wrong…I won’t be worried about the Gren pricing if I’m stuck in a bog in the back of beyond! :D)
I can tell a tale about such an experience. 😂

Attachments

• C7B40496-771F-408A-9AF2-6A670FDADF7A.png
    C7B40496-771F-408A-9AF2-6A670FDADF7A.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom