The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wireless rear view camera

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
Being old and illiterate on the modern electrical systems and their sensitivities, can someone please advise if it is possible to have a wireless rear view camera that could display on the vehicle screen? I would prefer to use that rather than have to mount another screen somewhere. If it is possible, could those in the know, please advise how this is achieved?

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
Being old and illiterate on the modern electrical systems and their sensitivities, can someone please advise if it is possible to have a wireless rear view camera that could display on the vehicle screen? I would prefer to use that rather than have to mount another screen somewhere. If it is possible, could those in the know, please advise how this is achieved?

Local time
Reaction score
Also a camera that is aimed in close and down out front please

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you mean on a caravan? The Grenadier already has a camera on the rear that displays on the screen

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The vehicle comes with a rear view camera, that is displayed on the screen.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you mean on a caravan? The Grenadier already has a camera on the rear that displays on the screen
I had essentially the same question - will we be able to send a video feed to the built-in screen?

Has anyone gotten a good look at the unit? I know early on @Jean Mercier had a picture of the top of it taken from the top, but I don't recall seeing and inputs or outputs.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The vehicle comes with a rear view camera, that is displayed on the screen.
Yes, I use the reverse camera - but I would like to be able to use either a (wireless) camera in a higher position, (e.g. roof or roof rack) or caravan reversing unit which would preferably display on vehicle screen.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
I had essentially the same question - will we be able to send a video feed to the built-in screen?

Has anyone gotten a good look at the unit? I know early on @Jean Mercier had a picture of the top of it taken from the top, but I don't recall seeing and inputs or outputs.
Yeah, it would be great if aftermarket camera(s) could be fed into the (BMW? iDrive?) infotainment system. The backup cam view is uncentered and warped and appears pretty amateur for a 2023 well designed vehicle.

I get it; many won’t care. For those of us who do, maybe an aftermarket front/rear/birdseye system can be fed. I’m sure the BMW system (?) INEOS is leveraging normally has at least a front input, which could be used if the IG software allows it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be great if aftermarket camera(s) could be fed into the (BMW? iDrive?) infotainment system. The backup cam view is uncentered and warped and appears pretty amateur for a 2023 well designed vehicle.

I get it; many won’t care. For those of us who do, maybe an aftermarket front/rear/birdseye system can be fed. I’m sure the BMW system (?) INEOS is leveraging normally has at least a front input, which could be used if the IG software allows it.
I am planning on putting a front and rear dashcam in so I can get video of the great unwashed looking enviously at the my manly Grenadier.
I should be able to see the images on my Apple smart phone which should mirror to the display.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The infotainment (HMI) is not BMW iDrive related at all; it is bespoke to the Grenadier; and as with most other systems if it only comes with the backup camera, that will be the only input (specifically as it was not designed to have additional cameras added or optioned).

In other vehicle realms there are input switchers available to add a front camera (quite popular in the Toyota world), but with the Grenadier being fairly low in production numbers, I'm not sure when a company will be willing to invest the time/money to create a plug'n'play solution.

With that being said, I've become very accustomed to using the 360º cameras on both our Sprinter and Tacoma in pretty much all parking lot situations, but never felt the need to with the Grenadier given its fairly compact size and visibility. Off-Road I have never really been able to get on board with using the cameras over using mirrors (for rear tire placement)

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
The infotainment (HMI) is not BMW iDrive related at all; it is bespoke to the Grenadier; and as with most other systems if it only comes with the backup camera, that will be the only input (specifically as it was not designed to have additional cameras added or optioned).

My bad. Thanks. I jumped to a wrong conclusion when I saw the BMW shifter and the rotary knob surrounded by buttons and assumed they'd outsourced the infotainment system also. Guess not.

IMO, if Ineos is genuine in its desire for owners to understand/upgrade/personalize their vehicles then along with the CAD models promised (all hot air so far), they could reasonably open source aspects of the infotainment system and allow enhancements by owners or third parties.

Crazy talk and not industry standard, I know. But same goes for Ineos' alleged commitment to publishing 3D models for all owners to hack on. With the 3D models they said there'd be some safety/regulatory limits on what is shared. Fair. So they could reasonably restrict the openness and sharing around safety-critical infotainment system operations. So allowing video input and user-defined screens ... some hacker in the owners community would be all over that. Maybe someone has a ton of environmental sensors they want to keep an eye on. Or maybe a HAM radio operator would like their own UI. Or dashcams or 360º cams, etc.

Gotta dream!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
I'll show my ignorance of such things but wouldn't a simple Y splitter plug placed inline serve the purpose?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score

There were indeed no visible additional connectors (see this thread (Land Rover is no more) , that was what I was looking for, but I didn't dismount further.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
when I saw the BMW shifter and the rotary knob surrounded by buttons and assumed they'd outsourced the infotainment system also. Guess not.
Technically, the shifter was designed by ZF along with the transmission, BMW slightly altered the shifter and put it into their vehicles, thus most people know it as the BMW Shifter
I'll show my ignorance of such things but wouldn't a simple Y splitter plug placed inline serve the purpose?
Most of the OEM backup camera systems don't use traditional coax for video transmission; so first you need a converter to convert their digital transmission to RCA, then a splitter that is powered so that the proper camera activates the display on the screen (usually also allows for "anytime" camera viewing based on an external switch), and then plug in the secondary (or tertiary) camera. This is how add-on systems work for some of the European and Japanese brands that I've dealt with

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
I really like the rear view camera. The wide angle is really good, its like you can see round corners almost when reversing out of a space. Its great for hitching trailers. I have used much worse ones.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am thinking along the lines of ‘Wolfbox’ rear view mirror incorporating front / rear dash cam.
There are many similar cameras available from Amazon or all over the web with slightly differing feature sets, but I agree... if the goal is to add multiple cameras, this is the most simple solution

Donny

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
I’ll add that the rear view mirror camera in my new defender is great! I don’t have to worry about limited rear visibility when my cargo space is full or trying to see around my spare tire. An aftermarket version of this mounted in place of the OEM rear view mirror in the Gren would seem to achieve what you’re looking for @Bobby Mac.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ll add that the rear view mirror camera in my new defender is great! I don’t have to worry about limited rear visibility when my cargo space is full or trying to see around my spare tire. An aftermarket version of this mounted in place of the OEM rear view mirror in the Gren would seem to achieve what you’re looking for @Bobby Mac.
How did people cope for so many years driving vehicles without rear vision cameras???
We must have never been able to reverse anywhere!
I drove F100/150's with a canopy on the back so had to reverse using the side mirrors and the force.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How did people cope for so many years driving vehicles without rear vision cameras???
We must have never been able to reverse anywhere!
I drove F100/150's with a canopy on the back so had to reverse using the side mirrors and the force.
Same here - I drove trucks for years without anything but side mirrors, then my Def 130 and never had any mishaps.… but the I got an ARB rear view mirror with camera, mainly to take a little of the guesswork/good luck of aligning and hooking up trailers… and now I love it. It’s great when travelling to just to check on how the trailer/load is travelling, or to see what that ratbag on your arse is doing. Just one of those gadgets - good to have - not essential‼️

Back
Top Bottom