The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winter tyres

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
Agreed Nokian Hakkapeliitta, great tires. a bit noisy, but..... we got them for the snow
Haven't tried Nokians yet but have only heard really good things about them. Maybe my next set. Here in Colorado, I have Blizzaks on 3 different vehicles - put them on for 5.5 months a year. Work wonders climbing/descending 11,000 mountain passes in all the conditions we've put them through. Are night and day vs. a good AT or all-season tire. Still deciding what i will but on the Grenadier, but have to receive it first. Maybe in the next couple weeks - we will see.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
Got some new boots today…
Mounting was no Problem for the local tyre Shop.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV 265/70 R17 115R
No problem with the load index? In my papers is written 118/121, and the local tyre shop said less is not allowed.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
I fully agree. I have solved this with a tyre cutter. Combined snow/mud tyre :cool:

2_2d459af5669b8017e5dbcac021ebcd61_t.jpg
That is beautiful, but how long does it take to cut those sipes? On five tires!

Leopold

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No problem with the load index? In my papers is written 118/121, and the local tyre shop said less is not allowed.

Not yet. And i dont think so.
In my papers its LT265/70R17 121S, i bought the Grenadier with the BFG KO2 Tires.

The other OEM Choice - Dueler AT001 also only got a load index at 116 or 1250kg.

So i questioned myself - a Summer tire with alpine symbol for every wicked Offroad Situation in the Winter? (Lift of 1/2 wheels etc. White driving)
Or maybe something for Snow and ice White i wont tackle Heavy Terrain?

Maximum Axle load is 1.667kg / 2.150kg,
two Nokian r5 could take up to 2.430kg - so i think its okay.

Neben dem Geschwindigkeitsindex ist der Tragfähigkeitsindex eine der beiden Betriebskennungen eines Autoreifens. Er gibt an, wie stark ein Reifen maximal belastet werden darf. Damit beträgt er stets die Hälfte der maximal zulässigen statischen Achslast.

In addition to the speed index, the load index is one of the two operating indicators of a car tire. It indicates the maximum load a tire can be subjected to. This means it is always half of the maximum permissible static axle load.

Or should i be concerned @Lollo050968 ? 🫣

Attachments

• 22d2bfe0-81bd-42f4-a971-5501194f623d.jpeg
    22d2bfe0-81bd-42f4-a971-5501194f623d.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 36

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Leopold I follow your suggestion, I will ask my dealer again….
I don’t know what the police tell us…. Risk is less, but in the last 5 years, they check two times at traffic control, if tyres have the right size and are suitable for winter use.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
For some reason I thought Nokians were Far Eastern cheap tyres like LingLongs or WanKings. 😂

Turns out they’re from Finland and are most certainly not cheap! Tyres is one area I never scrimp on.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For some reason I thought Nokians were Far Eastern cheap tyres like LingLongs or WanKings. 😂

Turns out they’re from Finland and are most certainly not cheap! Tyres is one area I never scrimp on.
I was guilty of that presumption as well some years back. They are the dogs danglies and not Won Hung Lo's!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I think they also make some 200,000 tyres per annun for the Bridgestone brand.

Leopold

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Leopold I follow your suggestion, I will ask my dealer again….
I don’t know what the police tell us…. Risk is less, but in the last 5 years, they check two times at traffic control, if tyres have the right size and are suitable for winter use.
Choice is quite limited here in Germany. Nokian has a model that mets the specs

LT265/70 R 17 121/118Q​

https://www.nokiantyres.de/winterreifen/nokian-tyres-hakkapeliitta-lt3/
It is quite costly.

I've been doing some research over the last few days.
Basically, my approach of half the axle load was correct, but of course the police officer needs something "official" if he doesn't have the same level of expertise.
Unfortunately, I don't have the official letter to which the wording refers, but I think that's detailed enough.

1701860569645.png

English:
After detailed discussion, the FKT Special Committee "Wheels and Tires" approved the BMVBW with a letter (decree) dated 02.08.2004 (AZ: S 33 / 50 Ver 2004) to the BRV was once again unanimously confirmed by the FKT Special Committee "Wheels and Tires" and is to be applied by the technical services with immediate effect for the main inspections of vehicles (HU). In summary
it is as follows:
On the basis of EU Directive 92/23/EEC, member states may not refuse or prohibit the sale, registration, entry into service or use of a vehicle on the basis of the tires or prohibit the sale, registration, entry into service or use of a vehicle on the basis of tires bearing the EC type-approval mark (the E/ECE marking, which
which is mandatory for new motorcycle, car and truck tires from the date of manufacture 01 October 1998) and are fitted in accordance with the requirements of Annex IV. This means
  • The maximum load capacity of each tire fitted to a vehicle must be the case of a vehicle on which tires of the same type are fitted individually The maximum load capacity of each tire mounted on a vehicle must, in the case of a vehicle on which tires of the same type are mounted in a single arrangement, be at least half of the axle load specified by the vehicle manufacturer (EU Directive 92/23/EEC Annex IV no. 3.3.1 and 3.3.1.1) and
  • Each tire fitted to a vehicle must have a speed category symbol corresponding to the maximum design speed of the vehicle or the respective load/speed combination specified by the vehicle manufacturer (EU Directive 92/2/EEC Annex IV No. 3.4.1). maximum speed of the vehicle or the respective load/speed combination specified by the vehicle manufacturer (EU Directive 92/23/EEC Annex IV No. 3.4.1).

1701860951616.png
1701860989680.png

@Lollo050968
Why did the garage tell you that the tire is not permitted for the Grenadier?
Logically, the EU directive makes sense (for once).
The high load capacity of the OEM tire is probably only due to its design, and you can always drive a higher LI.
It's just a pity that this has made its way into the approval.

Greetings from a Bavarian official ;)

Attachments

• bereifung-index.pdf
    75.5 KB · Views: 7

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Leopold Thanks for your investigation, I´am pretty sure, that in case of a Ticket from the police, they are afraid the customer will tell: YOU have sold me, and YOU have to care for it. I will try again at another shop, and see what they tell me.

Local time
Reaction score
Nokian makes great winter tires. Like other brands, they have many different models for different applications. The winter tire they make for light trucks / SUVs is the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 - it is an E-rated tire with approximately the same load rating as the BFG KO2 that comes on the Grenadier. These are my favorite tires for on-road winter driving,

With a few mods, maybe the Grenadier can top 206 miles per hour on ice - like this Audi RS6 on Nokian tires 😄

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCj7o1E_14

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Nokian.. is one of the best winter, polar and military tyre manufacturer.. btw they used or still make rubber boots / wellingtons.. and from Nokian .. there is / was another company derived .. Nokia.
My spouses Ford runs on Nokian Winter Tyres and she uses this brand since at least 2 decades. The problem of the Hakkapeliitta is only available with studs. To bad - not permitted here in Germany. Illegal since the 197x as far as I remember and a studded tyre has a very unique sound on road.

Local time
Reaction score
Nokian.. is one of the best winter, polar and military tyre manufacturer.. btw they used or still make rubber boots / wellingtons.. and from Nokian .. there is / was another company derived .. Nokia.
My spouses Ford runs on Nokian Winter Tyres and she uses this brand since at least 2 decades. The problem of the Hakkapeliitta is only available with studs. To bad - not permitted here in Germany. Illegal since the 197x as far as I remember and a studded tyre has a very unique sound on road.
That was not true last year when I bought winter tires here in the United States.

I run the studded LT3 on my Tacoma, and non-studded LT3 on my wife's 4-Runner.

Some other Nokian tires are only available as studded tires. I ran studded Hakka 7 on my Audi RS4, and studded Hakka 8 on my S4, and in those models, they were studded only. The latest version of these tires is the Hakka 10, and those are also studded only.

In addition to the LT3, there are three other Nokian winter tires for use on SUVs that are not studded. I've not considered these, so I don't know if the load rating is suitable for the Grenadier, but here is the link if you are interested:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That was not true last year when I bought winter tires here in the United States.

I run the studded LT3 on my Tacoma, and non-studded LT3 on my wife's 4-Runner.

Some other Nokian tires are only available as studded tires. I ran studded Hakka 7 on my Audi RS4, and studded Hakka 8 on my S4, and in those models, they were studded only. The latest version of these tires is the Hakka 10, and those are also studded only.

In addition to the LT3, there are three other Nokian winter tires for use on SUVs that are not studded. I've not considered these, so I don't know if the load rating is suitable for the Grenadier, but here is the link if you are interested:

Perhaps in US. In Germany I was looking at least three different tyre sellers in Germany they sold this tyre only with studs and with a warning. "Special permission needed". There are some roads in southeastern corner close to Austria where a few roads are still qualified to use studs.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
I live in a rural part of North Scotland, about 57.5°N, not huge elevation, my house is about 250m.

Our roads don’t get cleared of snow, the nearest town is 10 miles away. We generally have snow for 2-3 months of the year, often up to a metre of actual snowfall but it drifts obviously, one year my van got buried completely. Record low here, on my weather station with a Stevenson screen, is -23C (-10F), it’s very common to have -10C to -13C.

My Grenadier comes with the BFG AT’s, I’ve had these before on a couple of vehicles and I’ve not actually been that impressed in the snow and on frosty or icy roads. In fact, I have two sets of wheels and tyres for my Mitsubishi pickup, AT’s for summer and a set of continental wintercontacts which have been great.

I just watched this video

View: https://youtu.be/tVSHMnkf0gY?si=_wph12jb5C88j3t5

Which was quite interesting. Has anybody found another all terrain tyre that can cope well with snow and ice?
Good Year Duratrac tires are class leading in snowy and icy environments.
I’m currently vacationing at Lake Tahoe, and every vehicle that I see on the road which clearly needs to drive in bad weather (police, fire, and delivery trucks) are all sporting duratracs.
I had a set on my Ram 1500 Rebel from 2018-2021 and was happy with the wear, and noise. Never once did I get stuck.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps in US. In Germany I was looking at least three different tyre sellers in Germany they sold this tyre only with studs and with a warning. "Special permission needed". There are some roads in southeastern corner close to Austria where a few roads are still qualified to use studs.
I have them on my Defender for more then ten years.
No spikes needed. But you could screw them in!

Local time
Reaction score
That is beautiful, but how long does it take to cut those sipes? On five tires!
About one day. First one took lots of time. Probably second set would go in five hours :cool:
More than 1 kg of rubber was removed from each tyre.
Here those are tested in 25-30 cm of partly wet snow in my Defender 110 (std diffs, CDL locked):
View: https://youtu.be/EREBf_wAP2o

As you can see ridiculous spinning doesn't help but the tyres can regain traction even on the 30° slope with short reverse.

Local time
Reaction score
Ahhh, that's too bad. My wife doesn't like the noise of studs, and she is very happy with the non-studded LT3.

Back
Top Bottom