The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Why doesn't every adventure vehicle have this?

USandPR

Reservation Holder
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Why doesn't every vehicle that you plan to park and go an an adventure have a secure box to put your phone, wallet and keys so you don't lose them in the river or hike or surfing whatever you are doing and have a keypad entry? Instead we bury them in the sand at the beach or hide them nearby or put them in a waterproof bag and hope they don't get wet or you don't capsize your canoe or kayak. This seems like it should be on every vehicle except grocery getters or commuters.

Attachments

• door keypad.jpg
    door keypad.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 41
Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
Part of the issue is if someone breaks a window or takes a screwdriver to the door lock, then now have the keys to drive your truck away. I always have a house key and Licenses on me, sometimes accidents happen and the truck is left. Always a good idea to have a key and ID on your person at all times. I am old enough to remember my folks never locking the cars or the house until some time in the early 90's.
The key pad is really easy to install and is a nice convenience. The FMC pad is a stick-on with a plug in module for the wire harness. If I were to get on, i would place it on the back door, I have dogs so that is the first access to the truck.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What happens if you have a flat battery??
I use one of these. 1660149936844.jpeg

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
I understand that part of what you want is a lock-box for a car key or fob, so that you don't have to carry your key/fob while running, surfing, climbing, etc. But you also mention the need for a lock-box for valuables like your wallet and phone so that these are secure while you are away from the vehicle. In many parts of the U.S. thieves target cars left at trailheads, and steal valuables left behind by outdoor enthusiasts. They smash a window, grab what they can, and are gone in just a few minutes.

There are a number of after-market options for good lockable storage. We use a stainless steel safe built by Lock'er Down that drops into the space in the center console. They also make other types of lockable storage (under the seat, etc.). You lose some space when you drop in one of their safes, but they are strong enough to prevent almost all typical theft (someone would probably have to steal your car and take it to a place where they could drill through the safe to get at your valuables). There are other companies out there, but we've been very happy with Lock'er Down:

Last edited:

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My keys always it on the shock tower when I am out and about. I also generally always have a spare wired up underneath in case one gets lost.

Local time
Reaction score
My jeep had a https://tuffyproducts.com/ Console box because the doors were off for spring/summer/fall in NorCal. All I had to bring was the key to box. I never leave my phone, living in the PNW, cell coverage is spotty when in the woods until you get some altitude. I have a Pelican 1010 for the phone and wallet.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
The main reason is that many cars these days have a keyless start so if the key is within about 1 - 2 metres of the drivers seat the doors can be opened and the car driven. Top Gear did a test in the US and the car was able to start and drive about 30 metres while they were sitting at a table outside a cafe.

USandPR

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
The main reason is that many cars these days have a keyless start so if the key is within about 1 - 2 metres of the drivers seat the doors can be opened and the car driven. Top Gear did a test in the US and the car was able to start and drive about 30 metres while they were sitting at a table outside a cafe.
I HATE the keyless start. I leave my phone in the car all the time because the process is supposed to be turn off ignition, take out key, grab phone. Has worked that way for 20+ years, now I leave the car running half the time walking away from it without my phone.. Hate this keyless thing. And as you mention above how far away form the fob it can run. And it's a $500 fob the other part of the time. Used to stash a key in a mag box somewhere, now that "key or fob is a small fortune.

Rant over.
(for now)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Luckily the Ineos uses a real key.
Imagine your e-key giving up the ghost when you're back of whoop-whoop. Wouldn't do at all, old chap 😄

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if you guys are taking the piss! All cars have an emergency physical key that you can use to get in and often also use to start the car. Different from car to car but often there is an actual key slot under the push to start button.
My Mercedes has an electronic key that also has an engine immobiliser so without it the car won't start, my wife's mini has keyless start, she locked her keys in one of those lock boxes and it was close enough so you could open the doors and start the car.

Attachments

• Keys.jpg
    Keys.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't seen a car with a push button that still has a key start. Yes on opening the doors but no on starting and driving. This is in the US. Problem with a key just to open doors is the factory keys are so expensive and other places won't always cut you key if it is an RFID key. Even if you tell them it is just to get into the car in the case of emergency they generally won't cut you a key.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mazda and Ford often use the old key slot location on the steering column. I think Toyota has it behind the push to start button. Some have a slot in the glove box or centre consol where you can put the fob with the dead battery and it reads using induction. Older Ford Focus have a keyhole in the drivers door jamb.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-11 170213.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-11 170213.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2022-08-11 170921.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-11 170921.png
    228 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2022-08-11 171128.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-11 171128.png
    271 KB · Views: 21

USandPR

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if you guys are taking the piss! All cars have an emergency physical key that you can use to get in and often also use to start the car. Different from car to car but often there is an actual key slot under the push to start button.
My Mercedes has an electronic key that also has an engine immobiliser so without it the car won't start, my wife's mini has keyless start, she locked her keys in one of those lock boxes and it was close enough so you could open the doors and start the car.
I wasn't taking a piss, because I truly did not realize this Toyota fob had a key in it! lol Just found it. Thanks!

But I still want to leave anything that I have to worry about getting wet or losing out of my pockets to be in a safe like compartment and have a keypad to get in. I used to be able to stash a key outside the car but can't because the fob keeps the doors unlocked.

Wade fishing, surf, fishing, fishing from a boat, hiking, whatever, I don't need to swipe a card or use cash and don't want to worry about losing that stuff and prefer it left in the car.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Why doesn't every vehicle that you plan to park and go an an adventure have a secure box to put your phone, wallet and keys so you don't lose them in the river or hike or surfing whatever you are doing and have a keypad entry? Instead we bury them in the sand at the beach or hide them nearby or put them in a waterproof bag and hope they don't get wet or you don't capsize your canoe or kayak. This seems like it should be on every vehicle except grocery getters or commuters.
JLR do their activity key but the downside of that is is have to drive... lrnewdiscoverymakingwavesla15111607.jpg a JLR product...

USandPR

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't seen a car with a push button that still has a key start. Yes on opening the doors but no on starting and driving. This is in the US. Problem with a key just to open doors is the factory keys are so expensive and other places won't always cut you key if it is an RFID key. Even if you tell them it is just to get into the car in the case of emergency they generally won't cut you a key.
yes 100% true, you can't get a key cut and now some key machines make you have a code from the key at the place you are getting it cut so if you get a $20 chip key at ebay, no one can cut it even if you have the original chip key as a pattern. bollocks, bloody hell, i'm not takin a piss! (love those!) and dealer wants hundreds for it. hateful. My toyota fob is $500 and thinking now I don't know where my 2nd one is! yikes! (not takin a piss)

USandPR

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
JLR do their activity key but the downside of that is is have to drive... a JLR product...
I could be down for that, but where is your regular fob? in the car? wouldn't it open the doors if someone pulled a handle?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Using the activity key disables the smart key that has to be left inside the vehicle.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Faraday cage bag inside a magnetic key box.... Click

I'm liking the idea of a traditional key for the Grenadier. However the alarm/vehicle immobilizer side of things worries me a little. Also how many of us will be complaining about locking the key inside the car after we manually lock the door. I do it regularly on the old Ford Ranger, so much so that I can break in with a wire coat hanger in about 30 seconds now ;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
yes 100% true, you can't get a key cut and now some key machines make you have a code from the key at the place you are getting it cut so if you get a $20 chip key at ebay, no one can cut it even if you have the original chip key as a pattern. bollocks, bloody hell, i'm not takin a piss! (love those!) and dealer wants hundreds for it. hateful. My toyota fob is $500 and thinking now I don't know where my 2nd one is! yikes! (not takin a piss)
In Australia , there is a difference between taking the piss , and taking a piss 🤗

Back
Top Bottom