The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Creating a shift lever worthy of the Grenadier

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Part 4: Progress and Plans

With the detailed CAD data sorted out and the ergonomics working well, we are now playing with the style elements and manufacturing details. This is the phase where sufficient prototype iterations really pay off. Every day we 3D-print new shapes and textures to improve the feel and look of certain details about the shifter. I think it is coming along nicely. The pic below shows some recent sketches and a small prototype that we used to improve the blend between a couple faces where the texture changes. These details may seem trivial but when your hand touches this edge multiple times a day it matters.
View attachment 7855243

We have created a few possible variations worth mentioning:
- with inset red lambda
- with PRND/M indication exposed
- with a location for the Global Grenadiers (forum) badge to reside
- all sorts of color variations

It's not too late to give input on your favorite design elements.

View attachment 7855244

I'm not sure what exactly comes at the end of this project. It is a great training and development exercise for me and the staff at our office, so we will definitely see it through to a "final" version. Of course final is relative, since we could continue to improve or create variations forever. As a good friend likes to say: "At some point you have to shoot the engineer and go into production." But first we might do a "focus group" test and send a batch of these out to forum members and get their feedback.

I don't know if there is market justification for an injection molded version of this design. Tooling (mold) investment for US manufacturing of the cosmetic housings for both LHD and RHD vehicles is expensive. (Hmmm, perhaps I have come to the same conclusion that Ineos did...) Ultimately I might consider running batches of these as a 3D-printed product for a while. If there is sufficient interest maybe Stu will distribute them via the forum store, like we did with the reverse camera glare shrouds.

It's been a fun project so far.

View attachment 7855242
Very creative. The BMW style shifter is definitely reliable but style wise it’s eh. Having the window, I think, would be important. Also protects it especially when throwing stuff around the cabin. I’d give that a whirl. Very sharp.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
The only complaint I have with the shifter is that it doesn't fit the interior styling. Functionality is fine for what it is. I would like something a little more chunky or rugged looking.
In my Grenadier there is something chunky and rugged looking right next to the shifter.
Well definitely chunky
1714851976423.jpg

Mena2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
Part 4: Progress and Plans

With the detailed CAD data sorted out and the ergonomics working well, we are now playing with the style elements and manufacturing details. This is the phase where sufficient prototype iterations really pay off. Every day we 3D-print new shapes and textures to improve the feel and look of certain details about the shifter. I think it is coming along nicely. The pic below shows some recent sketches and a small prototype that we used to improve the blend between a couple faces where the texture changes. These details may seem trivial but when your hand touches this edge multiple times a day it matters.
View attachment 7855243

We have created a few possible variations worth mentioning:
- with inset red lambda
- with PRND/M indication exposed
- with a location for the Global Grenadiers (forum) badge to reside
- all sorts of color variations

It's not too late to give input on your favorite design elements.

View attachment 7855244

I'm not sure what exactly comes at the end of this project. It is a great training and development exercise for me and the staff at our office, so we will definitely see it through to a "final" version. Of course final is relative, since we could continue to improve or create variations forever. As a good friend likes to say: "At some point you have to shoot the engineer and go into production." But first we might do a "focus group" test and send a batch of these out to forum members and get their feedback.

I don't know if there is market justification for an injection molded version of this design. Tooling (mold) investment for US manufacturing of the cosmetic housings for both LHD and RHD vehicles is expensive. (Hmmm, perhaps I have come to the same conclusion that Ineos did...) Ultimately I might consider running batches of these as a 3D-printed product for a while. If there is sufficient interest maybe Stu will distribute them via the forum store, like we did with the reverse camera glare shrouds.

It's been a fun project so far.

View attachment 7855242
Wow. That’s impressive. If you ever do sell them I’m in!

Back
Top Bottom