The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas Who’s running LL04 oil?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
I ran the first 200 miles on 0w20 then when to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L (LL04) 5w30 for the next 1000 miles. Drained and went to (LL04 LL01) QuakerState Euro 5w40. Oil temps are well within range and the engine runs way smoother than with 0w20. Anyone else made the switch? I’m going to do a UOA at 5k miles then at 7.5k miles. I’ll post my results here.

Last edited:

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Just checking QS website and BMW LL-04 is listed for 5w-30, but not 5w-40. I'm pretty oil ignorant and was just searching for more info.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe I misspoke I’ll go double check.

You got me. It’s LL01 per the spec sheet now. Oddly their website doesn’t show the LL01 spec but the spec sheet does. Maybe a licensing issue.

IMG_0974.jpeg

Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
I ran the first 200 miles on 0w20 then when to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L (LL04) 5w30 for the next 1000 miles. Drained and went to (LL04) QuakerState Euro 5w40. Oil temps are well within range and the engine runs way smoother than with 0w20. Anyone else made the switch? I’m going to do a UOA at 5k miles then at 7.5k miles. I’ll post my results here.
Keeping to the one oil type and brand will establish a trend that can be used for the oil analysis, UOA, and maintain oil additive consistency in the report. Changing brands each service means a there can be a change in the additive package as the new brand's oil additive blend replace the previous brand oil's blend. It is also a good idea to have a sample of the new oil you intend to keep using tested. This will give an oil baseline if you continue UOA for condition monitoring.

frcnducted

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
I will run LL04 in about 175 more miles. I did a oil filter change only at 250 miles to get a sneak peak at the pleats. All looks good to me. I am doing Pennzoil 5w30 Euro L and filter again at 500 miles.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Keeping to the one oil type and brand will establish a trend that can be used for the oil analysis, UOA, and maintain oil additive consistency in the report. Changing brands each service means a there can be a change in the additive package as the new brand's oil additive blend replace the previous brand oil's blend. It is also a good idea to have a sample of the new oil you intend to keep using tested. This will give an oil baseline if you continue UOA for condition monitoring.
I didn't do a UOA for the 0w20, there wasn't any point. Same with the PP Euro L because that was it's break-in period. I'm going to do UOAs using the QS Euro 5w40.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone done the research on approved oils and their synthetic base stocks? Picking my Gren up today and I’ll get a couple filters, but need to choose an oil path.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone done the research on approved oils and their synthetic base stocks? Picking my Gren up today and I’ll get a couple filters, but need to choose an oil path.
You can read all you want here and see my personal growth lol

For me it’s either Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 or QS Euro 5w40. I did 1k on the PP then did a full drain and put in the QS Euro. I like how it runs on the QS the most so far. I’m still researching for my long term.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

For me it’s either Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 or QS Euro 5w40. I did 1k on the PP then did a full drain and put in the QS Euro. I like how it runs on the QS the most so far. I’m still researching for my long term.
Those both look like good choices. For comparison I am now going to look at Mobil1 for LL04-spec oils.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

@FlyingTexan - Are you still happy the QS Euro 5W40?

I asked a co-worker (he developed the full synth M1 5W40 oil) to check with his Mobil1 contacts for a BMW LL01/LL04 spec oil. I'll post up what I hear...

Back
Top Bottom