The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Where's The Key Slot?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Tired of trying to find where the key slot is, especially when it is darker outside.

Simply add a polished stainless steel washer.

The washer is approximately 1” in diameter with a large enough hole to insert the key blade through.

I installed it with 3M double-sided foam tape as it bridges the angled inner plastic race better.
I also choose the foam tape as it will make it easier to remove vs non-foam tape should the need ever arise.

Take your time in trimming the foam tape to insure a neat install. I used a razor knife.

Before installing the foam tape, I first sanded both sides of the stainless steel washer to provide a better bond
and to get a nice finish for the side facing me.

Be sure to wipe down the washer and plastic chase with rubbing alcohol to get a better bond.

Note: Try a dry test fit first with your key blade inserted into the cylinder to make sure the key will insert
far enough in and turn. Also try a dry fit first before removing the last protective layer on the foam tape.

Note: Don’t get too thick of a washer or it might not allow the key blade to get inserted all the way, which
will prevent the key from turning over.
DaBullStainless Steel Washer.jpgGrenadier Key Fob.jpg

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
I like this. Might even try sanding it super thin.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DaBull

I have attached this and posted it before but it is a help when you taper the ends of the keys, it makes the entry so smooth... Use your forefinger to guide it and the key will do the rest. The key on the left is the tapered one which is now even sharper, which helps me with nuisance packaging...the fun starts here happy motoring :ROFLMAO: (y)

Attachments

• keys.jpg
    keys.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My key slot doesn't move.
It is always in the same place.
I don't look at it to put the key in and as we are RHD I have to use my left hand to insert the key.
I am with you, don't look to see where it is now after many starts...muscle memory...try tapering the key as posted above it works a treat (y)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
I am with you, don't look to see where it is now after many starts...muscle memory...try tapering the key as posted above it works a treat (y)
I recall hearing a couple of women talking at an airport bar about how their husbands needed a headlamp and glow in the dark arrows to find some spot or other and still rarely found it.
Not sure what they were talking about but it must have been the place the car keys have to go.
All makes sense now.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like this. Might even try sanding it super thin.
Hi [ Adam ]: You don't actually need to sand the washer thin as a standard washer works great, just don't buy an extra thick washer.
I do recommend stainless steel as it won't rust and you can lightly sand it to a nice finish.
DaBull

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DaBull

I have attached this and posted it before but it is a help when you taper the ends of the keys, it makes the entry so smooth... Use your forefinger to guide it and the key will do the rest. The key on the left is the tapered one which is now even sharper, which helps me with nuisance packaging...the fun starts here happy motoring :ROFLMAO: (y)
Hi Max, Yes, youf idea of sanding the tip of the key at an angle works great. I used 180 grit wet and dry sandpaper and made quick work of it.
Thanks for posting and reposting your great idea.
DaBull

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My key slot doesn't move.
It is always in the same place.
I don't look at it to put the key in and as we are RHD I have to use my left hand to insert the key.
Hi DaveB, Some things are easier found than others. ;)
DaBull

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Tired of trying to find where the key slot is, especially when it is darker outside.

The washer is approximately 1” in diameter with a large enough hole to insert the key blade through.

I installed it with 3M double-sided foam tape as it bridges the angled inner plastic race better.
I also choose the foam tape as it will make it easier to remove vs non-foam tape should the need ever arise.

Take your time in trimming the foam tape to insure a neat install. I used a razor knife.

Before installing the foam tape, I first sanded both sides of the stainless steel washer to provide a better bond

Be sure to wipe down the washer and plastic chase with rubbing alcohol to get a better bond.

Note: Try a dry test fit first with your key blade inserted into the cylinder to make sure the key will insert
far enough in and turn. Also try a dry fit first before removing the last protective layer on the foam tape.

Note: Don’t get too thick of a washer or it might not allow the key blade to get inserted all the way, which
DaBullView attachment 7853325View attachment 7853326
Very simple and slick solution!

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

DaBullView attachment 7853325View attachment 7853326
Good idea I’ll do the same and thanks for the idea. An LED surround light is the correct solution however, common Ineos.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score

There is this option as well.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

There is this option as well.
These, at least the ones I found on Amazon, don't stay stuck on for long and didn't have strong enough lume to be seen at night. I ended up chucking them in the trash.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To me, the issue isn’t so much finding the hole, its getting he key in the right orientation. It goes in at an odd angle.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To me, the issue isn’t so much finding the hole, its getting he key in the right orientation. It goes in at an odd angle.
In Australia the key is on the left hand side of the steering wheel.
I have developed a routine of holding the key on the short sides between thumb and forefinger of my left hand.
This puts it on exactly the right angle every time.
I no longer even have to look at where the slot is.
Many years of karate teach the importance of muscle memory and practicing routines.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
TRY THIS.
I have attached this and posted it before but it is a help when you taper the ends of the keys, it makes the entry so smooth... Use your forefinger to guide it and the key will do the rest. The key on the left is the tapered[both sides]one which is now even sharper, which helps me with nuisance packaging...the fun starts here happy motoring :ROFLMAO: (y)

Attachments​

• keys.jpg

keys.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Dust off that old angle grinder and get to work 😀